How to continue recording

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
SIGMA7

How to continue recording

Post by SIGMA7 » Sat Jul 31, 2010 1:23 am

Hey.

Using Ableton 8.1.4.

Question: In session view. I press the global record button and launch a few clips.

I then press stop.

So, let's say I'm at 2.1.1. How do I keep recording from that point on ? Once I get to 2.1.1 it recording but all of my clips have stopped playing.

mihai

Re: How to continue recording

Post by mihai » Sat Jul 31, 2010 7:02 am

double click your clips and make sure "loop" is enabled, this will loop your clips until you manually stop them.

SIGMA7

Post by SIGMA7 » Sat Jul 31, 2010 9:56 am

That has already been done.

Let me try and re-explain.

Open Live.

In Session view, place a clip.

Press record and launch the clip.

Record from 1.1.1 until 2.1.1.

Now, you want to keep recording from 2.1.1 onwards.

The only way to do this is to re-launch the clip.

Is there another way? Because if I have like 6 clips that need to be re-launched, that is problematic...

mihai

Post by mihai » Sat Jul 31, 2010 12:53 pm

i'm afraid that doesn't make sense. if loop on a clip is enabled then it will keep on playing until you manually stop it. maybe your clips are very lengthy and contain silence after your initial first bar?

SIGMA7

Post by SIGMA7 » Sat Jul 31, 2010 1:31 pm

No the loop is ok.

What I am trying to say is, after I press stop, say I want to continue recording. I have to press the record button and then click on the play button for that clip.

My question is: Is there a way for the recording to continue without pressing play?

For example, say I have 5 clips in session view.

So, I start recording from 1.1.1 to 4.1.1.

I press stop and save my live set.

Now, at some later date, I want to continue my performance.

So, in arrangement view, I set my marker to 3.1.1 and then go back into session view and press record.

So, from 3.1.1 to 4.1.1 you hear the clips being played but after 4.1.1, the clips stop playing. The only way to continue the recording after 4.1.1 is to manually launch those clips again.

Can this be avoided? I mean, do I have to relaunch the clips ?

heavensdaw

Post by heavensdaw » Sat Jul 31, 2010 3:28 pm

Hi, I dunno if I'm completely understanding you, but....

If your clip is 1 bar long you cant make longer... It's been cropped @ 1 bar.. period.
If you want to continue recording directly after a clip have reached it's end... I would place the clip in arrangement view and drop into record from the point I wish.... you can consolidate the two or three or whatever clips into one clip if you want after...

You may be able to set up follow actions in session view to record next clip... but I haven't looked into that possibility.

Hope this helps some

Hd

SIGMA7

Post by SIGMA7 » Sat Jul 31, 2010 5:43 pm

Hmm, seems that I am having difficulty getting my message across.

If anyone is interested, send me a private message with your phone number and name and I can call you and explain what I mean verbally - much easier !

Thanx !

Obineg

Post by Obineg » Sat Jul 31, 2010 5:57 pm

Shift/space
macbook 2ghz / osX10.6 / built in soundcard / Apc40 / Axiom 49 / Live 8.1 / M4L

SIGMA7

Post by SIGMA7 » Sat Jul 31, 2010 6:06 pm

Ok, that continues playing from the end.

Now how do I get it to record the last clips launched so that I won't have to trigger them again ?

Obineg

Post by Obineg » Sat Jul 31, 2010 6:28 pm

pressing rec button and then pressing shift-space should do that . .. although it seems that the output is muted , weird
macbook 2ghz / osX10.6 / built in soundcard / Apc40 / Axiom 49 / Live 8.1 / M4L

chrk

Post by chrk » Sat Jul 31, 2010 6:32 pm

Set punch-in-point, activate punch-in-switch.

And yes, you have to start your clips in session view. That is what's recorded into the arrangement when you've activated global record.

Organizing scenes accordingly may help.
pressing rec button and then pressing shift-space should do that . .. although it seems that the output is muted , weird
No running clips in session view - no input. Back-to-arrangement-button revives them.

slirak

Post by slirak » Sat Jul 31, 2010 7:15 pm

I think you may slightly misunderstand a fundamental concept of Live. Clips in Session view aren't "aware of" the timeline. The timeline belongs solely to Arrangement view.

It might help if you think about Session view and Arrangement view, not as two views of the same thing, but more like two different DAW's, with very different concepts. That's not entirely true of course, they're linked in that they share the same tracks and mixer and they're tempo synched. And you can move stuff between them. But to repeat - the timeline belongs solely to Arrangement view.

What's more, there's no such thing as a (single) Session view timeline.

Isn't that a major design flaw? On the contrary, it's what Live's all about really.

In Session view every clip is like it's own mini-universe, each with its own timeline. Or timelines as it were - every clip envelope in every clip (that's automation curves in other DAW's) can each have their own independent timeline. So the clip may be four bars long, its volume envelope five bars and its panning envelope six bars. And that clip may share scene with other clips of completely different lengths.

You're also totally free to start and stop clips whenever you want, in no particular order, no matter what scene they're in. The clips are all tempo synched and the global quantization value helps decide how soon after you've clicked a clips start or stop button the change will occur. But no common timeline.

This property of Session view is what sets Live apart from any other DAW and makes it possible to completely restructure a song on the fly - live. You couldn't do that if you had a single common timeline. But that also makes it impossible for Live to know "where you are", in relation to the linear timeline of Arrangement view.