editting audio clips / samples

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
baskervils

editting audio clips / samples

Post by baskervils » Mon Aug 02, 2010 5:09 pm

When you hit "edit" inside of the clip / sample editor window, and it asks you to use an external editing program, which one do most Ableton users use?

I've needed to make some simple volume adjustments, but I've been exporting the sample to Pro Tools and back in, which is very clunky and time consuming. Is there a faster and better way?

Thanks in advance!

jessemiller

Re: editting audio clips / samples

Post by jessemiller » Mon Aug 02, 2010 6:35 pm

you probably don't need an external program just to do volume adjustments - there are tons of ways to turn things up in Ableton. Audacity might meet your needs.

baskervils

Post by baskervils » Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:03 pm

I've been able to do automated adjustments in arrangement view, but I get a message that pops open in clip / samples view that says that I need to pick a program to do this.

I was wondering if there is something already in Ableton Suite that has audio editing capabilities similar to Pro Tools, Logic, etc. or if I need to go to those programs to edit.

Peripatetic

Post by Peripatetic » Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:54 pm

I use Peak LE. It's $100 but worth it in my opinion. But as jessemiller said, Audacity would probably do the job and it's free. I would probably be using Audacity if I hadn't bought Peak before someone recommended it.
iMac, Ableton Suite 8, NI Komplete 7, NI Maschine, NI Kore 2, Reason 5, Arturia V-Collection, Akai APC40, Novation SL49 MKII, Akai MPK88, NI Audio Kontrol 1

baskervils

Post by baskervils » Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:48 pm

Thanks! I'll take a look at Audacity.