TouchAble - complete controller for Ableton Live & IPAD

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
delicioso

Re: TouchAble - complete controller for Ableton Live & IPAD

Post by delicioso » Sun Sep 05, 2010 6:47 pm

8O wrote:Do you have any links? The iOS API doesn't give you any data regarding the surface area of the touch - it's either touch or no touch. I guess you'd have to use unofficial APIs = jailbreak to sell the app. :?:
There's been iphone apps with pads that detected velocity through the mic.

8O

Post by 8O » Sun Sep 05, 2010 6:51 pm

delicioso wrote:
8O wrote:Do you have any links? The iOS API doesn't give you any data regarding the surface area of the touch - it's either touch or no touch. I guess you'd have to use unofficial APIs = jailbreak to sell the app. :?:
...and using the accelerometer, I know. Just the thing with touch surface area info is new to me and I haven't seen it via any API spec.

nbinder

Post by nbinder » Sun Sep 05, 2010 8:08 pm

8O wrote:
delicioso wrote:
...and using the accelerometer, I know. Just the thing with touch surface area info is new to me and I haven't seen it via any API spec.
Same here. If the surface area method is private, you'll never get your app into the App Store.

I don't think the accelerometer will be precise enough. However, I have not tested it yet.
The mic method does not work in a club environment or loud studio environment.

My initial answer was assuming that question was whether the ipad touch screen sensor was velocity sensitive by default.

rabouille

Post by rabouille » Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:49 am

If you are one of the lucky folks who have access to the Internet by a wired connection, here is a guide how to share this connection with your iPad over an Ad-Hoc network (on mac):

http://www.touch-able.com/Site/AdHoc-Guide2_Mac.html

DerekC

Post by DerekC » Mon Sep 06, 2010 4:36 pm

I finally got this working and used it for a set then other night. It's a great app though does need some more features to make it so u don't need to be near ur laptop. One request I have is tempo control. Also is there any way people could make there own customized instrument/effects interface? Finally the keyboard is slightly ugly looking. Thats a small complaint I know but is there any chance if getting a keyboard that looks more like a real keyboard? Thanks guys!

machine+1

Post by machine+1 » Mon Sep 06, 2010 6:14 pm

Watching this video makes me realize just how pointlessly complicated our current network protocols are. Seriously, "subnet mask"? Why the fuck should that be a part of an end-users vocabulary in 2010? Keeps nerds employed... :roll:

kenporter

Post by kenporter » Mon Sep 06, 2010 8:47 pm

Well, I set it up exactly as stated in your video, actually I had it pretty much set up this way except I hadn't set the iPad to a static IP. Touchable works flawlessly on my Mac Pro (as mentioned in one of my messages to you) but still crashes on my MacBook Pro. Furthermore, it loses connection on my MBP once in a while and pressing "buttons" in Touchable won't do anything for some time until it connects again. Inserting tracks in Live on my MBP crashes the Touchable app 90% of the time, but it doesn't on my Mac Pro. I am totally clueless as to what's going on and why it's not working properly on my MBP. :( All I know is that Live Control with TouchOSC works just fine without any issues, which still makes me believe that it's not my MBP that is at fault. Anyway, it's really annoying and a good example in my mind why a product like Launchpad or the APC40 are still valid pieces of gear. However, I got to say when Touchable works on my Mac Pro for example it is an amazing app! That being said I would not ever do a gig with it though, because the flakiness of a Wifi connection and the issues I've been experiencing with it ever since I bought it wouldn't make me very confident using it live.

Thanks,
Ken

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Mon Sep 06, 2010 8:53 pm

Bought it, got it working. Got some slick features for sure!

Just a couple things I find annoying about the set up:

-The first thing is that I'm finding that I can't use an ad hoc network, while still being able to change to using my wi-fi network to use the internet, because every time I do, it forgets the ad hoc network. It's way too annoying to have to set it up every time I want to use touchable if I've used the internet in between (which I do all the time). The Ad hoc network only seems to be remembered if I don't switch over to wifi at all. Is there a way to stop this? Because of this, I'm just using it over wifi, which really isn't bad, but a little flaky, so I'd like to see if there's any difference using ad hoc.

-The second thing is that I have to set the midi ports every time I open the touchable application. They do not stay on 'from touchable'. In my mind that should be the only option anyways, but it defaults to one of my other midi connections like automap midi or AU DLS synth. I wish it would remember that it's supposed to be connected to touchable.

I should mention though that these two problems are present both in touchable and in Live Control, so I think I'll post the same thing in that thread.
Professional Shark Jumper.

bonomius

Post by bonomius » Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:15 pm

Same problems of glitchrock-buddha here, expecially the first one is annoying. Hope it's not an osx limitation and a fix will come out.

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:22 pm

bonomius wrote:osx limitation
this.
I came for the :lol:
But stayed for the :x

rabouille

Post by rabouille » Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:02 am

guys, we are right now trying to improve the connection process and give you an easier way to set it up. You have to figure out that is not that easy to implement, touchAble is in version 1.0, released last week, 90% of user had no problem at all to set it up, the app works well, except for few of you guys. Little by little we've been collecting report from users, configurations, etc...., with your help we are able yet to fix some of users issues faster and if we hold that great collaboration between us and touchAble/Ableton users, we can say that touchAble is going to rock really really hard pretty soon, maybe going better than what we expected :)
thanks to the Ableton community.

don't forget, If you have access to the Internet by a wired connection, here is a guide how to share this connection with your iPad over an Ad-Hoc network (on mac):
http://www.touch-able.com/Site/AdHoc-Guide2_Mac.html
good thing with this connection, you just have to enable / disable internet sharing to get your network back up

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Tue Sep 07, 2010 1:39 pm

rabouille wrote:guys, we are right now trying to improve the connection process and give you an easier way to set it up. You have to figure out that is not that easy to implement, touchAble is in version 1.0, released last week, 90% of user had no problem at all to set it up, the app works well, except for few of you guys. Little by little we've been collecting report from users, configurations, etc...., with your help we are able yet to fix some of users issues faster and if we hold that great collaboration between us and touchAble/Ableton users, we can say that touchAble is going to rock really really hard pretty soon, maybe going better than what we expected :)
It's really not hard to set up, but I'm sure it's easy for someone to miss one little step or something and have it not work.

But could you comment on the two issues I brought up above? ie.1- Ad hoc network being forgotten after every time you switch to wifi (is this just a mac issue?), and 2- touchable application always forgetting it's midi port settings on launch (Is this something you can fix?).

thanks
Professional Shark Jumper.

rabouille

Post by rabouille » Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:12 pm

glitchrock-buddha wrote:
rabouille wrote:guys, we are right now trying to improve the connection process and give you an easier way to set it up. You have to figure out that is not that easy to implement, touchAble is in version 1.0, released last week, 90% of user had no problem at all to set it up, the app works well, except for few of you guys. Little by little we've been collecting report from users, configurations, etc...., with your help we are able yet to fix some of users issues faster and if we hold that great collaboration between us and touchAble/Ableton users, we can say that touchAble is going to rock really really hard pretty soon, maybe going better than what we expected :)
It's really not hard to set up, but I'm sure it's easy for someone to miss one little step or something and have it not work.

But could you comment on the two issues I brought up above? ie.1- Ad hoc network being forgotten after every time you switch to wifi (is this just a mac issue?), and 2- touchable application always forgetting it's midi port settings on launch (Is this something you can fix?).

thanks
1/ is a mac issue -
our advice: using the internet sharing option to create a network does not seem to forget the settings.
And you don't need to really share the internet connection, you can just set it up without sharing anything
even better than ad-hoc cause its not forgotten as easily

2/we will try to fix it...

jxsbebop

Post by jxsbebop » Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:54 pm

Hello, All.

I'm sorry to hear that some of you are having problems with configuring Touchable with your laptop. My day job is IT, so I think that I may be able to help some people here.

The subnet mask is necessary because it tells your computer what is the network part of your IP address and what is the host part of the IP address. If you connect an Ad-Hoc network from your laptop and your iPad, I would suggest you just set an IP address manually for the laptop and the iPad.

Go to your network settings for your laptop and configure an IP address of "192.168.123.11", subnet mask "255.255.255.0". Configure your 1st iPad (if you're configuring two of them) with an IP address of "192.168.123.12", subnet mask "255.255.255.0", Configure your 2nd iPad with an IP address of "192.168.123.13", subnet mask "255.255.255.0".

You don't need an IP for the "Default Gateway" or "DNS".

I hope this helps someone.