TouchAble - complete controller for Ableton Live & IPAD

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
rabouille

Re: TouchAble - complete controller for Ableton Live & IPAD

Post by rabouille » Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:23 am

fcarroll wrote:
rabouille wrote:For those who want to check new final beta of TouchAble 1.2 update, come at Frankfurt Musik Messe, we don't have a booth but we will be there.
send us an email: press@touch-able.com, we'll try to find a moment to show you the beast :)
Rabouille,

just wanted to share this with you guys,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYD1fVwhMw8
thanks.

Computer Controlled

Post by Computer Controlled » Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:14 am

I'm on the verge of buying this app, however, do i need any of the OSC apps to use this? Another concern i had was usage of wi-fi networks while playing live. How is this dealt with?
Stuff: TR-09 . TB-03 . SH-01A . SE-02 . MX-1 . MPC-1000 . Avalon BassLine . Audiothingies MicroMonsta . TX81Z . RX7 . SY77 . Akai S5000 . BeatStep Pro . Keystep .

simpleton

Post by simpleton » Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:34 am

Computer Controlled wrote: Another concern i had was usage of wi-fi networks while playing live. How is this dealt with?
If you're on Windows just stay in your bedroom and broadcast on youtube. On Mac set up an ad hoc connection. :lol:
The Leveller wrote:Wow, a weird shaped dead coral with sh!t stuck to it. Proof indeed of supernatural abilities.

Computer Controlled

Post by Computer Controlled » Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:41 am

Very helpful...
Stuff: TR-09 . TB-03 . SH-01A . SE-02 . MX-1 . MPC-1000 . Avalon BassLine . Audiothingies MicroMonsta . TX81Z . RX7 . SY77 . Akai S5000 . BeatStep Pro . Keystep .

toph

Post by toph » Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:18 am

Computer Controlled wrote:do i need any of the OSC apps to use this?
You just need the touchable app on your ipad and the touchable server and scripts on your computer (free download from touch-able.com).
Computer Controlled wrote:Another concern i had was usage of wi-fi networks while playing live. How is this dealt with?
Can't tell much about that for live situations, but it works without problems in the studio using an ad hoc network. So it should work in live situations too.

C.

Computer Controlled

Post by Computer Controlled » Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:07 pm

Thank you. Guess I know what I'll be doing when I get home from work.
:D

rabouille

Post by rabouille » Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:45 am

TouchAble 1.2 has been sent for approval to Apple this week end.
List of new features, videos and more are coming.

Thanks for your patience.

JuanSOLO

Post by JuanSOLO » Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:10 pm

GEEZ I just read this whole thread. Just got into using TouchAble, Like beats me and a few others I was having zero luck connecting TouchAble. I would see it come up and quickly crash. I have followed all of the set up guides over and over, the videos over and over. I noticed once that I had a "space" at the end of the connection IP on the load screen of the TouchAble app on the iPad. Seemed to connect after deleting the "space." However as LSZ has said, it is a daunting task to connect using the ad-hoc, and then trying to go back to getting an internet connection on my laptop. I just watched this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vs4Uy7lVJ6U hoping to see something I am missing. It is a simple video to follow, and I have been doing everything right, but if your like me and having trouble connecting Touchable to a laptop, then this video will frustrate the hell out of you when you watch this part Image

Someone is entering 10.0.2.4 on the iPad after entering 10.0.2.1 on the Laptop, and then when connecting the iPad touchable app, they go back to entering 10.0.2.1

As I said, many people seem to be having no problems connecting, but if you are there is NO good information validating the proper connection. It's the little things that create BIG CONFUSION.

Is this a mistake in the video? Or is this what I have been doing wrong? Entering 10.0.2.1 in my iPads WiFi connection when I should be entering 10.0.2.4?

The connection thing can definitely be hell, however the app is fun. Haven't had a chance to play with it enough to make any more feature request other than whats been stated about step sequencing. However I have a feeling the touchAble guys will go above and beyond what Griid has done. Frankly the Griid sequencer sucks, a major let down. I cant even tick C-2 in the piano roll, the scaling is retarded, you struggle with overlapping velocities, there's no "follow," (which is almost needed on an iPad), and if you switch from the Clip Screen back to the Sequencer Screen it's always in some useless octave for me, like it needs to have a fold option or something. I hope the touchAble camp is taking notes and puts out a sequencer worth using. If they do, I may just believe in touch screens a bit more than hardware sequencing.

Nice work guys, I look forward to the future of TouchAble :) !

JuanSOLO

Post by JuanSOLO » Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:13 pm

lastly, +1 for Operator device in TouchAble

rabouille

Post by rabouille » Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:33 pm

JuanSOLO wrote:GEEZ I just read this whole thread. Just got into using TouchAble, Like beats me and a few others I was having zero luck connecting TouchAble. I would see it come up and quickly crash. I have followed all of the set up guides over and over, the videos over and over. I noticed once that I had a "space" at the end of the connection IP on the load screen of the TouchAble app on the iPad. Seemed to connect after deleting the "space." However as LSZ has said, it is a daunting task to connect using the ad-hoc, and then trying to go back to getting an internet connection on my laptop. I just watched this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vs4Uy7lVJ6U hoping to see something I am missing. It is a simple video to follow, and I have been doing everything right, but if your like me and having trouble connecting Touchable to a laptop, then this video will frustrate the hell out of you when you watch this part Image

Someone is entering 10.0.2.4 on the iPad after entering 10.0.2.1 on the Laptop, and then when connecting the iPad touchable app, they go back to entering 10.0.2.1

As I said, many people seem to be having no problems connecting, but if you are there is NO good information validating the proper connection. It's the little things that create BIG CONFUSION.

Is this a mistake in the video? Or is this what I have been doing wrong? Entering 10.0.2.1 in my iPads WiFi connection when I should be entering 10.0.2.4?

The connection thing can definitely be hell, however the app is fun. Haven't had a chance to play with it enough to make any more feature request other than whats been stated about step sequencing. However I have a feeling the touchAble guys will go above and beyond what Griid has done. Frankly the Griid sequencer sucks, a major let down. I cant even tick C-2 in the piano roll, the scaling is retarded, you struggle with overlapping velocities, there's no "follow," (which is almost needed on an iPad), and if you switch from the Clip Screen back to the Sequencer Screen it's always in some useless octave for me, like it needs to have a fold option or something. I hope the touchAble camp is taking notes and puts out a sequencer worth using. If they do, I may just believe in touch screens a bit more than hardware sequencing.

Nice work guys, I look forward to the future of TouchAble :) !

the second 10.0.2.1 ip adress shown into the video, it is the one you have to enter only the first time into the starting page of the app. In the video example, 10.0.2.1 is the private network IP you create, 10.0.2.4 is your iPad IP, nothing more...

But we can figure out it might be confusing for some peoples...

btw, for "5 seconds" connection settings, we encourage you to follow the "share" connection described here:
http://touch-able.com/Site/AdHoc-Guide2_Mac.html

Anubis

Post by Anubis » Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:47 am

rabouille wrote: But we can figure out it might be confusing for some peoples...
You can say that again! I'm on Win 7 64-bit. Setting up an ad hoc connection is futile with this OS. So, I've had moderate success using it through my router. However, last night Touchable won't join the network even though I'm certain that I'm entering the right IP address. It stays stuck on the splash screen. I've re-initialized my iPad 2(and laptop) several times to no avail. For God's sake give us a way to reset this app. The app itself is fantastic! I'm spoiled, I can't go back to a hardware controller. Please come up with a less cumbersome way to use this app. :(
9.0.4 Suite-Samsung Chronos 7 laptop(17")-12GB RAM-Samsung 840 series SSD(250GB)-iPad2-Maschine-TouchAble-SaffirePro24-Saffire6USB-Komplete Audio 6-Axiom25-PCR300-Nocturn-LaunchPad-QuNeo-QuNexus
miTunes

db120

Post by db120 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:22 am

Anubis wrote:
rabouille wrote: But we can figure out it might be confusing for some peoples...
You can say that again! I'm on Win 7 64-bit. Setting up an ad hoc connection is futile with this OS. So, I've had moderate success using it through my router. However, last night Touchable won't join the network even though I'm certain that I'm entering the right IP address. It stays stuck on the splash screen. I've re-initialized my iPad 2(and laptop) several times to no avail. For God's sake give us a way to reset this app. The app itself is fantastic! I'm spoiled, I can't go back to a hardware controller. Please come up with a less cumbersome way to use this app. :(
this

rabouille

Post by rabouille » Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:23 am

db120 wrote:
Anubis wrote:
this

I'm sorry to say that, though I'm not a fan of Apple strategies and politic, if you are seriously involved in music production and if you want to avoid technical issues as much as possible, a Mac is certainly the best solution out here. I myself used to struggle with PC and windows for years, and I know how this OS can be very bothering sometimes while it is about music production. But, obviously, there is no reason that you can't use touchAble with windows, it is 100% compatible.

We would like to offer an easier way to connect your iPad, but Apple are very restrictive (we can't use USB cable to transmit network datas for example) , + we have to combine 4 different major OS : OSX, XP, VISTA and 7

But be sure that we are right now working on that topic. We will release a touchAble mini for iPhone, but we must find the easiest way to connect the App, as we know that an iPhone version will attract more lambda users than the iPad version does.

Coming back to your issue, I suggest you to send an email to our Support (support@touch-able.com), we 've been doing our best to provide fast and helpful answer to users issues. i'm sure we'll fix your issue.

We also have an active forum on our website where some users talk about their windows experience with touchAble http://touch-able.com/Site/Forum.html

drez

Post by drez » Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:43 pm

I am on Win7 x64 and I use Touch-able with no problems at all. I use an app called connectify to make my Laptop a hotspot and it works flawlessly.

As an aside, I know people have problems with Windows, but you can also see people gripe about Macs as well. I think it comes down to looking into the mirror and asking yourself:

Do you really know what your doing?

People think they know more about their OS than they actually do. Self proclaimed "experts", but they are constantly bitching about how their machine runs like $#%%! I'm a Systems Engineer so I've worked with various Server OS, Desktop OS, etc for over 20 years. I had an OS/2 desktop machine that I didn't boot for 9 months. It just worked. I had others using the same version that couldn't keep it running for 4 hrs. I've had Windows and Unix systems that just ran. I once built a core ATM (Asynchronous Transfer Mode, not the money machine) network that ran with no downtime for 5 years. The boxes (6 in total) NEVER powered down or rebooted. It IS possible to have a good clean system, but not without discipline.

My advice to all: Know your limits. If you don't know what something does, don't install it. Don't keep installing software just because it has a shiny, blinky ad. Just stop it. Stop right now. Get a fresh install and be vigilant about what you run on it and you will see things work a lot more smoothly. And if you DON'T know what to do, ask FIRST, THEN try it based on some knowledge gained by folks that have already been through it. It will save you a lot of heartache.
Last edited by drez on Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.soundcloud.com/dreznicek
MacBook M1 Pro Max, 64Gig RAM, 4TB internal SSD, Live 11, Push1/2/3, Reason, VST O'Plenty

Slightlydelic

Post by Slightlydelic » Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:05 pm

drez wrote:I am on Win7 x64 and I use Touch-able with no problems at all. I use an app called connectify to make my Laptop a hotspot and it works flawlessly.

As an aside, I know people have problems with Windows, but you can also see people gripe about Macs as well. I think it comes down to looking into the mirror and asking yourself:

Do you really know what your doing?

People think they know more about their OS than they actually do. Self proclaimed "experts", but they are constantly bitching about how they machine runs like $#%%! I'm a Systems Engineer so I've worked with various Server OS, Desktop OS, etc for over 20 years. I had an OS/2 desktop machine that I didn't boot for 9 months. It just worked. I had others using the same version that couldn't keep it running for 4 hrs. I've had Windows and Unix systems that just ran. I once built a core ATM (Asynchronous Transfer Mode, not the money machine) network that ran with no downtime for 5 years. The boxes (6 in total) NEVER powered down or rebooted. It IS possible to have a good clean system, but not without discipline.

My advice to all: Know your limits. If you don't know what something does, don't install it. Don't keep installing software just because it has a shiny, blinky ad. Just stop it. Stop right now. Get a fresh install and be vigilant about what you run on it and you will see things work a lot more smoothly. And if you DON'T know what to do, ask FIRST, THEN try it based on some knowledge gained by folks that have already been through it. It will save you a lot of heartache.
+1 for connectify, works great.