TouchAble - complete controller for Ableton Live & IPAD

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Anubis

Re: TouchAble - complete controller for Ableton Live & IPAD

Post by Anubis » Wed Apr 20, 2011 4:11 am

rabouille wrote: We would like to offer an easier way to connect your iPad, but Apple are very restrictive (we can't use USB cable to transmit network datas for example) , + we have to combine 4 different major OS : OSX, XP, VISTA and 7

But be sure that we are right now working on that topic. We will release a touchAble mini for iPhone, but we must find the easiest way to connect the App, as we know that an iPhone version will attract more lambda users than the iPad version does.

Coming back to your issue, I suggest you to send an email to our Support (support@touch-able.com), we 've been doing our best to provide fast and helpful answer to users issues. i'm sure we'll fix your issue.

We also have an active forum on our website where some users talk about their windows experience with touchAble http://touch-able.com/Site/Forum.html
Don't get me wrong rabouille, your app works flawlessly when connected. Occasionally, I lose my WiFi connection. I think that the radio in my laptop may be dying. Sometimes after restarting my computer and re-establishing the connection to my WiFi, TouchAble stays stuck on the splash screen even though I type in the correct IP address. Curiously, the only way to remedy this is to reset my router and my laptop is then assigned a different IP address. Then when I type in the new IP address the TouchAble server responds and launches TouchAble. For some reason changing the IP address "unfreezes" the TouchAble server.

@ drez- I know my system and it's limitations very well. Thanks for giving me the heads up on connectify. I'll check into it.
9.0.4 Suite-Samsung Chronos 7 laptop(17")-12GB RAM-Samsung 840 series SSD(250GB)-iPad2-Maschine-TouchAble-SaffirePro24-Saffire6USB-Komplete Audio 6-Axiom25-PCR300-Nocturn-LaunchPad-QuNeo-QuNexus
miTunes

Computer Controlled

Post by Computer Controlled » Wed Apr 20, 2011 4:57 am

Connectify FTW! That totally solved my ad-hoc issue! Thanks for that =o] Too bad i can't use it on my desktop though, that's running XP, not 7.
Stuff: TR-09 . TB-03 . SH-01A . SE-02 . MX-1 . MPC-1000 . Avalon BassLine . Audiothingies MicroMonsta . TX81Z . RX7 . SY77 . Akai S5000 . BeatStep Pro . Keystep .

drez

Post by drez » Wed Apr 20, 2011 5:09 am

Anubis wrote: @ drez- I know my system and it's limitations very well. Thanks for giving me the heads up on connectify. I'll check into it.
Ah, that was a general rant, not directed at you :) I hope connectify works for your box. It's been perfect for me.
http://www.soundcloud.com/dreznicek
MacBook M1 Pro Max, 64Gig RAM, 4TB internal SSD, Live 11, Push1/2/3, Reason, VST O'Plenty

rabouille

Post by rabouille » Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:39 am

Anubis wrote:
rabouille wrote: We would like to offer an easier way to connect your iPad, but Apple are very restrictive (we can't use USB cable to transmit network datas for example) , + we have to combine 4 different major OS : OSX, XP, VISTA and 7

But be sure that we are right now working on that topic. We will release a touchAble mini for iPhone, but we must find the easiest way to connect the App, as we know that an iPhone version will attract more lambda users than the iPad version does.

Coming back to your issue, I suggest you to send an email to our Support (support@touch-able.com), we 've been doing our best to provide fast and helpful answer to users issues. i'm sure we'll fix your issue.

We also have an active forum on our website where some users talk about their windows experience with touchAble http://touch-able.com/Site/Forum.html
Don't get me wrong rabouille, your app works flawlessly when connected. Occasionally, I lose my WiFi connection. I think that the radio in my laptop may be dying. Sometimes after restarting my computer and re-establishing the connection to my WiFi, TouchAble stays stuck on the splash screen even though I type in the correct IP address. Curiously, the only way to remedy this is to reset my router and my laptop is then assigned a different IP address. Then when I type in the new IP address the TouchAble server responds and launches TouchAble. For some reason changing the IP address "unfreezes" the TouchAble server.

@ drez- I know my system and it's limitations very well. Thanks for giving me the heads up on connectify. I'll check into it.
Yeah, we know that touchAble works flawlessly, whatever OS you are running, if everything is set up correctly :) And you ll notice with the upcoming update that the latency with faders is even better :)

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:12 pm

These are precisely the reasons why Apple needs to lift the restrictions on accessing APIs over the port so that ALL OF THESE OSC BASED APPS THAT ACCESS LIVE'S API CAN BE ROUTED VIA USB.

Madness.

:x

I was playing a gig last weekend when suddenly KapturePad on my iPhone simply lost the wifi connection. I also had touchAble and Konkreet Performer open on the iPad, but no connection was lost. Who the fuck knows what happend, but needless to say I lost all my capture settings. It sucked, and was a prime example of how vital it is to have a hardwire connection option.

:x
I came for the :lol:
But stayed for the :x

kooperativ

Post by kooperativ » Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:16 pm

Hey guys!

No news from apple yet - but here's the changelog!

New Features:

Device Module:
The Control elements on the FX8 & FX32 View now switch their behavior & style depending on the parameter they control.
Possible styles are: Toggle, Multitoggle, Fader & centered Fader.
This will work with Lives devices & all M4L Devices.

Added 'Snap' mode:
You can activate the Snap mode per device with the 'snap' button in the Menu to the right.
If enabled, the control elements will snap back to their original value once you lift your finger.
To change the original value of the parameters: disable Snap mode - tweak the device to your needs and enable Snap mode again to jump back to these values at the end of your touches.

Added XY Pad module:

Up to 4 Dots at once - each with their own X, Y & Z Parameters.
Choose the dots X, Y & Z Parameters from All of Lives Mixer & Device.

Easy parameter assignments through the config menu.

Set direction & force of gravity and bouncing mode individually for each dot.
Record the dots movements - loop, reverse or cut them till they fit your needs.
Play them back as automations - quantized and in complete sync with Ableton Live.

Save automations and parameter assignments to the database within touchAble and exchange them with other iPads and Users via iTunes.

Save snapshots of the dots positions:
Hold, Stop & Morphing mode
Set morphing length & which of the are dots affected by snapshots.

New optional settings:

Added Relative Fader mode for devices
Added possibility to disable scene launch buttons.
Added OneTap Recording:
Newly recorded clips will automatically be of the same length as the currently set Launch Quantization. This enables you to tap on an empty slot once to start recording and have it loop automatically after the set amount of time.

General:

Decreased latency and increased throughput to Live substantially.
Performance increased throughout the app.

Bugfixes:

Mixer showing Send A Faders in black when more than 4 sends were present in the set.
Fixed overlapping Faders in 4 Track mode when more than 4 sends were present in the set.
Keys & Pads start at C3/C2 now instead of C-2.
numerous small changes & fixes

Computer Controlled

Post by Computer Controlled » Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:42 pm

I'm gonna add my vote to the Custom Controllers idea =o] This would invaluable to those of us who still actually use hardware synths =o]
Stuff: TR-09 . TB-03 . SH-01A . SE-02 . MX-1 . MPC-1000 . Avalon BassLine . Audiothingies MicroMonsta . TX81Z . RX7 . SY77 . Akai S5000 . BeatStep Pro . Keystep .

prebentious

Post by prebentious » Thu Apr 21, 2011 1:31 am

My humble request: I love the custom eq8 controller. Can we get the same thing for all Ableton devices?

Anubis

Post by Anubis » Thu Apr 21, 2011 3:24 am

kooperativ wrote:
Set direction & force of gravity and bouncing mode individually for each dot.
Record the dots movements - loop, reverse or cut them till they fit your needs.
Play them back as automations - quantized and in complete sync with Ableton Live.
You guys are really gaining momentum! :D I'm really looking forward to this update.
9.0.4 Suite-Samsung Chronos 7 laptop(17")-12GB RAM-Samsung 840 series SSD(250GB)-iPad2-Maschine-TouchAble-SaffirePro24-Saffire6USB-Komplete Audio 6-Axiom25-PCR300-Nocturn-LaunchPad-QuNeo-QuNexus
miTunes

pan9

Post by pan9 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 6:47 am

Hi

Update looks great! And Touchable is a fantastic tool. What's the time frame on getting a step sequencer?

Thanks for all the great work.

Pan

rabouille

Post by rabouille » Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:02 am

pan9 wrote:Hi

Update looks great! And Touchable is a fantastic tool. What's the time frame on getting a step sequencer?

Thanks for all the great work.

Pan
Sequencer is the next big thing we're going for. We're currently expecting a 1.2.1 to be out in a few weeks with some smaller additions and a 1.3 in a couple of months including the Step Sequencer for MIDI Clips.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Thu Apr 21, 2011 2:07 pm

This app keeps looking better and better, think I'm going to have to try this one out soon.

hrowe

Post by hrowe » Thu Apr 21, 2011 4:00 pm

Will the mixer & sends revision be in the next update?

pan9

Post by pan9 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 4:37 pm

Great news about the step sequencer coming fairly soon.

Anybody who hasn't tried Touchable - just get it!

Pan

ambientidm

Post by ambientidm » Thu Apr 21, 2011 5:52 pm

this just keeps getting better and better
i can't wait for the clip seq
+1 for more live device graphics like eq8