TouchAble - complete controller for Ableton Live & IPAD

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
rabouille

Re: TouchAble - complete controller for Ableton Live & IPAD

Post by rabouille » Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:33 am

drez wrote:
rabouille wrote:Ableton and touchAble users,
we'll be at Mixmove from sunday 13th to tuesday 15th at the SCV distribution stand for some demos of the new (and now very soon released) version of touchAble, if some of you guys want to come and talk about touchAble, you 'll be super welcome, you can already send me a private message via the forum to get in touch.

See you there :)

http://www.mixmove-expo.com/
I hope by "very soon" you mean the "very soon" we all hope you mean ;)
Software development is sometimes unpredictable, but this update is almost ready, it will take few days before getting released though :)

of norway

Post by of norway » Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:38 am

Ok, so finally, after trying various other stuff, I went and bought TouchAble on the apstore, set up ad-hoc and got going. I had some issues with setting up Ad-Hoc between Win7 and iPad (had to use WEP pass instead of WPA2 as described in your how-to guide) but finally got it running alongside my APC20. (I posted the how-to here: http://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=160392 - it might be pretty obvious to the computer savvy, but I ain't the computer savvy and spent some time on figuring it out, so it might help if you're stuck)

Now I've only got to test it for about an hour, but it seems to be running very nicely! And I think I will take it on my next little tour. Is ad-hoc stable? If it drops out, while I am in a club, I am basically screwed! But I had no problems in the studio, or at home (where there are like 20 other nets the computer or iPad could decide to try and log on to) - so I think it should be fine.

Latency wasn't a problem at all. In fact the only 3 things that I didn't love about the program so far was:

1. it was a bit fiddly setting up (however, once done, it works smoothly)

2. The interface was a bit cluttered and a little confusing so far (but, I guess this is since I've only spent an hour with it yet)

3. I wish there were some more customization options in the program (lock mixer to bottom could maybe be useful, and maybe a save template thing so that I could lock position on the drum pads (since I use drumracks for some samples, and had to scroll a bit to find the right pads corresponding with the ones I'd put samples on), and I would like to be able to remove solo button, since I accidentally hit it some times, and I don't really use the solo when playing live)

However, these are just minor afterthoughts - I have only spent an hour with the program and it already start making sense! I hope to bring it with me on next gig! (which is at Kleine Reise / Berlin on the 26th - come along if you are in town ;)) Hope I will be as happy with it after that!

In short, I am quite exited about it, and would say that if you already own an iPad, this is a very cheap way of getting a potentially killer controller for your Ableton!

So thanks Le-K and the guys at TouchAble!

Much love
Vegard // Of Norway (www.ofnorway.no)
Of Norway
wwww.facebook.com/ofnorwaypage

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:02 pm

Yeah, you'll be flying around the layout in no time. Is is a tad daunting at first, but by your second day with it you'll be wanting even more buttons and features on the GUI, lol.

+1 for the drum pad lock. Would be great if the app remembered that setting. Same goes for they keys octave sliders. Would be nice to not have to set those every time.
I came for the :lol:
But stayed for the :x

rabouille

Post by rabouille » Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:15 pm

LoopStationZebra wrote:Yeah, you'll be flying around the layout in no time. Is is a tad daunting at first, but by your second day with it you'll be wanting even more buttons and features on the GUI, lol.

+1 for the drum pad lock. Would be great if the app remembered that setting. Same goes for they keys octave sliders. Would be nice to not have to set those every time.
We'll try to think about this soon.

alexsg

Post by alexsg » Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:32 am

I started another thread about this but no responded... :(

Does anyone know anyway to stop one or both control surfaces from moving the clips/tracks displayed on my laptop screen when the rectangle is moved?

I am using an APC40 and TouchAble but I would like TouchAble to not move the screen.

Also, re: TouchAble does anyone know if there is:

1. anyway to reduce/change the number of tracks displayed on screen.
2. any limit to how much of the set is automatically loaded onto the TouchAble screen? Clips in on track (track 10) are not displayed until the clips are moved, at which point they do show up on screen.

Thanks,

Alex

of norway

Post by of norway » Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:22 pm

I don't know if this is what you are looking for re. fewer tracks on screen, but if you press the little square inside the + pad (the one where you move around in the set, up,down,left,right) and then press the directional buttons, they change the size of the tracks so that you get fewer or more in the display.

I have another issue with the pads:
They lag / get stuck some times, especially when I do record and play them at the same time. Sometimes it's just pure lag, and other times it's more of a stutter effect.

Other than than it's been performing flawlessly for me so far.
Of Norway

of norway

Post by of norway » Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:55 pm

Also a little bug, I assume, when you have more than 3 sends in a project, and have the zoomed in view on the iPad mixer. Send A hid itself behind Send B, and I also lost the feedback gfx on the Send (the dry/wet level) - but the function still worked without problems.
Of Norway

of norway

Post by of norway » Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:24 pm

Of Norway

Anubis

Post by Anubis » Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:54 am

On Win 7(64) some devices linger even if they're not present in the current set. Is this normal?
9.0.4 Suite-Samsung Chronos 7 laptop(17")-12GB RAM-Samsung 840 series SSD(250GB)-iPad2-Maschine-TouchAble-SaffirePro24-Saffire6USB-Komplete Audio 6-Axiom25-PCR300-Nocturn-LaunchPad-QuNeo-QuNexus
miTunes

rabouille

Post by rabouille » Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:18 pm

Hello Guys,
Finally, here the first official video preview of the 6th touchAble module : the touchAble XY PAD

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTuIuNRS33Q

It is included with touchAble 1.2 version update, among extra new features, improvements and bug fixes.
We'll make a complete list very soon.

Note that few things will change in the final version, like the parameters selection menu..

We've been working on it longer than that we planned, but believe us, it worths it.

kooperativ

Post by kooperativ » Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:51 pm

@of_norway & anubis:
both those bugs will be fixed in the upcoming 1.2 release!

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:19 pm

rabouille wrote:Hello Guys,
Finally, here the first official video preview of the 6th touchAble module : the touchAble XY PAD

It is included with touchAble 1.2 version update, among extra new features, improvements and bug fixes.

Note that few things will change in the final version, like the parameters selection menu..

We've been working on it longer than that we planned, but believe us, it worths it.

awesome. 8)
I came for the :lol:
But stayed for the :x

razorblade

Post by razorblade » Fri Mar 25, 2011 3:03 pm

Seriously above and beyond what I hoped for in an X/Y implementation..Well done sir!
No...I am 3phase!

rabouille

Post by rabouille » Fri Mar 25, 2011 8:36 pm

razorblade wrote:

Seriously above and beyond what I hoped for in an X/Y implementation..Well done sir!
:)
We are doing our maximum to deliver the baby very soon.
Plying with this new module is a lot of fun, we can't wait to get feedbacks from touchAble's users.

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:29 pm

So it's one big square where all the different parameters share space? Doesn't that get awkward? I probably don't fully understand it yet but it seems like the different points would get in the way of each other. Is there a way to break it into 4 separate squares (one for parameter pair)?
Professional Shark Jumper.