Quick Question - velocity adjustments

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
lahostia

Quick Question - velocity adjustments

Post by lahostia » Thu Aug 05, 2010 4:11 pm

I've recently realized that adjusting the velocity on my one hit wav drums sounds does nothing to change their dynamics. So what do you do to, say for example, create interesting dynamic hit hat patterns? I've found that adjusting the decay, sustain and volume can get close, but I was wondering if there is a quicker way (much like velocity adjustments for midi notes)?

Usedtobe

Re: Quick Question - velocity adjustments

Post by Usedtobe » Thu Aug 05, 2010 4:15 pm

perhaps i dont understand your question but if you're playing your drum sounds with simpler, adjust the velocity param at the far right, then change the velocity on your midi notes, the volume will vary.

lahostia

Post by lahostia » Thu Aug 05, 2010 4:27 pm

alright that makes sense. But the one hits I'm using are in a drum rack...shouldn't that function the same way as simpler when adjusting the midi note velocity?

memes_33

Post by memes_33 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 4:42 pm

there is a "velocity" parameter that adjust the velocity sensitivity. i think it defaults to zero (i.e. no sensitivity to the velocity) but can go up to 100% (full sensitivity to the velocity).
Hip-Hop, Breakbeat, Glitch, IDM, Dub, & Mashups! Go to:
http://memes.bandcamp.com
http://www.soundcloud.com/memes_33

lahostia

Post by lahostia » Thu Aug 05, 2010 4:45 pm

thats probably it! I'll check it out when i get home. thanks!

anybody human

Post by anybody human » Fri Aug 06, 2010 12:20 pm

Also, in your Drum Rack hit control/option & click a simpler's velocity slider, the menu will have an option to "copy value to siblings". This way all the Simplers in the Drum Rack have th same velocity. Then there's the Defaults in your Live Library, once you have a Simpler setup the way you want, drag it to the Defaults folder Dropping Samples/ Drum Rack. That way it'll be ready to go every time.