Battery 3

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
mholloway

Re: Battery 3

Post by mholloway » Sun Aug 22, 2010 11:12 pm

as a Drum sample library, it's great. as a drum editing / kit building tool, I find it lacking, and MUCH prefer using Drum Racks in live. just the integration of racks themselves versus the routing required to get better control of each cell makes DR a no brainer...

for 3rd party drums though it's Maschine all the way. Battery3 is looking pretty old these days....

-M
my industrial music made with Ableton Live (as DEAD WHEN I FOUND HER): https://deadwhenifoundher.bandcamp.com/
my dark jazz / noir music made with Ableton Live: https://michaelarthurholloway.bandcamp. ... guilt-noir

su

Post by su » Mon Aug 23, 2010 3:19 pm

I owned battery before I owned live, so I reach for battery rather than making a drum rack.

I like battery's gui a lot. There are a lot of *per cell* options - effects, lfos, articulations, modulation. I'm not 100% sure, but I think battery has a few more options than impulse in terms of choke groups, round robin, etc.

In terms of samples, I use a combo of the battery library, purchased sets, and freebies. Making kits is a breeze.

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Mon Aug 23, 2010 3:39 pm

also worth to be added..
is that 'battery' fits very well with my drumrack workflow..

I put battery instance (set to receive all midi notes) in a drum-rack for all the samples..
and add synths to drum rack cells for synthesized drums...
they work together perfectly...
the extra outputs in Battery can be tapped using 'external instrument' devices.. which can also be contained within the drum-rack

trikster_b

Post by trikster_b » Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:24 pm

It's alright. I don't have drum racks, so I have to live with it for now. I don't really like the GUI, but the articulation options and the samples are why I use it.

And now for the reason I bumped this thread; anybody know how to link two cells together so when one cell is triggered, the other is as well? I've got a snare which is sounding weak, so I was going to add another sound to beef it up a little and wanted to link the two cells together so I wouldn't have to go through all the MIDI clips and manually add in the notes for the new cell. I know it's possible; some of the preset kits have linked cells. I'm on Windows if it's a simple keyboard command.

outershpongolia

Post by outershpongolia » Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:04 pm

trikster_b wrote:It's alright. I don't have drum racks, so I have to live with it for now. I don't really like the GUI, but the articulation options and the samples are why I use it.

And now for the reason I bumped this thread; anybody know how to link two cells together so when one cell is triggered, the other is as well? I've got a snare which is sounding weak, so I was going to add another sound to beef it up a little and wanted to link the two cells together so I wouldn't have to go through all the MIDI clips and manually add in the notes for the new cell. I know it's possible; some of the preset kits have linked cells. I'm on Windows if it's a simple keyboard command.
Set them to the same note..

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:08 am

+ 1 for the library. Even if you never use the app... if you rip the library you have something good there. its much more impressive than anything Live gives you stock.

the scenario that Tarekith described on page 1 is one of the reasons I try to avoid plugs in Live, but if you route to another track and record to that track you can skip having to load every time. You might have to re-record if you decide to tweak the drums, but your set will stay lite if you work this way. I use other apps to make drums from time to time and do the same thing... export my drums and then treat the audio file. Not necessarily the best workflow, but my point and (I think) most posters points in this thread is that it probably won't hurt to pick up a copy of Battery.
LoopStationZebra wrote:it's like a hipster commie pinko manifesto. Rambling. Angry. Nearly divorced from all reality; yet strangely compelling with a ring of truth.

trikster_b

Post by trikster_b » Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:15 am

outershpongolia wrote:
trikster_b wrote:It's alright. I don't have drum racks, so I have to live with it for now. I don't really like the GUI, but the articulation options and the samples are why I use it.

Set them to the same note..
shiiiit it was that easy... thanks man! another great tip to remember.

regarding the library, i really have to rip it soon, because there are a lot of awesome sounds in it; it's just too bad the GUI and the workflow of the plugin doesn't really work well with me.

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:30 am

btw you can load up more samples in the same cell...
using the 'mapping' tab..or doubleclicking in the 'browser' ...or using the cells' context menu

outershpongolia

Post by outershpongolia » Wed Aug 25, 2010 3:34 am

When you say "rip" you don't really mean any process of ripping them right? I mean, they're just .wavs as far as I can tell so you would just copy the Library and use the wav's at your leisure - or am I missing something here...

trikster_b

Post by trikster_b » Wed Aug 25, 2010 5:16 am

3dot... wrote:btw you can load up more samples in the same cell...
using the 'mapping' tab..or doubleclicking in the 'browser' ...or using the cells' context menu
Thanks! This works just as well.
outershpongolia wrote:When you say "rip" you don't really mean any process of ripping them right? I mean, they're just .wavs as far as I can tell so you would just copy the Library and use the wav's at your leisure - or am I missing something here...
Well I haven't checked in a while, but I do remember trying to look for Battery's samples, and they wouldn't show up in Live's browser. Doing it through windows explorer would show all the samples but in whatever format NI uses; in other words, Live wouldn't recognize them. Really annoying too; the artist kits that NI offers from time to time are available in WAV format and can be found in the browser, but all the content that comes with the actual program can't be found in the browser.

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:07 am

..plus most of the kits are 'multi-sample' per cell .. so it'll take a long time to 'convert' them to be used inside samplers within racks...
(and imo not worth the hassle)

0fps

Post by 0fps » Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:18 am

3dot... wrote:also worth to be added..
is that 'battery' fits very well with my drumrack workflow..

I put battery instance (set to receive all midi notes) in a drum-rack for all the samples..
and add synths to drum rack cells for synthesized drums...
they work together perfectly...
the extra outputs in Battery can be tapped using 'external instrument' devices.. which can also be contained within the drum-rack
Didn't ever used it that way... Cool! :)
Live 8 Suite, MacPro@2.66 Quad/4G RAM,MacBook@2.00 DualCore/2G RAM, Motu Traveler, TC Powercore, Korg MS200R, Waldorf Blofeld, Akai APC 40, M-Audio Axiom25, Motu Digital Performer

JMFOne

Post by JMFOne » Fri Sep 03, 2010 12:31 pm

What is Battery 3 like with Windows 7 64bit? I'm having abit of trouble getting it to see the VST and Live is crashing alot when I try to scan the folder location.
Also, how do I automate the parameters in Live?
15" Apple Macbook Pro, mid 2012, 2.6GHz 8GB RAM 750GB HD, Ableton Live 9.2, Virus TI Polar

Serra

Post by Serra » Fri Sep 03, 2010 4:58 pm

mja wrote:So who on here is using Battery 3 ?? Would you recommend it ?

I tried out the demo myself last night - however,the demo only last for 30 minutes,and they only give
you a couple of samples to mess about with,so it's kind of hard to gauge whether it's worth the money
or not.
Battery is great, but don't buy it before checking out Guru which is awesome... they are different, see what is best for you
www.twitter.com/superstringz

Superstringz 'Revolver' on feature film, more info soon:
http://www.beatport.com/track/revolver- ... ix/2042615

agentwonderbread

Post by agentwonderbread » Sat Sep 04, 2010 12:35 am

To each his own- but for me, battery was pretty much the end of a lot of repetitive tweaking and layering tasks I used to do in drum racks. I used to program on machines though- so I tend to enjoy a nice GUI. I still use the hell out of drum racks- but battery is my goto for getting things going in a hurry.