Previewing MIDI Files in Browser Doesn't Work

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
cabletone

Previewing MIDI Files in Browser Doesn't Work

Post by cabletone » Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:55 am

Playing back MIDI files in the file browser does not work--midi drum patterns do not play back drum sounds but rather what sounds like static or maybe very low sine waves. Melodic midi files only play back with one sound and that sounds distorted as well with clicks.

In audiofinder, for example, the same files play back with the computer's GM sounds.
Anybody have the same problem? I'm using the latest version of live (this has been happening for a while) and mac os 10.6.4.

Regular sounds (audio clips, samples) play back fine.

GrupoJyT

Re: Previewing MIDI Files in Browser Doesn't Work

Post by GrupoJyT » Thu Aug 18, 2011 4:53 am

Hi!

I have the same problem, no MIDI clips can play sounds on the preview using the Live's file browser (8.2.2).

And I have a second problem: I want to preview the MIDI files through a VST instrument, by example: NI Battery3, FM8, Reaktor. But I can't do this. The Hot-swap functions works only for (audio) samples and presets but not for MIDI files.

If any body can help us, we appreciate that!

invol

Post by invol » Fri Aug 19, 2011 6:00 am

Live does not have a GM player built-in, and therefore cannot preview MIDI files in the browser, just MIDI Clips - which have an instrument associated with them. If you are on a Mac, Quicktime can do it for you, and works with Quick Look in the Finder.

Here is a trick. Create a Live Set just for this purpose. Drop a bunch of MIDI clips on a track, and then put an instrument on the same track. Save, close.

Now, anytime you want to audition those MIDI files, find that .als in the Browser, unfold as needed, then preview the Clips.

Cheers,
Brian

GrupoJyT

Post by GrupoJyT » Fri Aug 26, 2011 1:54 am

Thank's but what about if you have a track with an specific VSTi and you need to try several midi drum loops syncronized with your music arrangement? Your sugestion is not the best option.

You can do this in Acid, Reapper, FruitLoops.

Thinking about Ableton 8.2 this would be done if you could hot-swap the VSTi instrument, play the arrangement and select any midi loop on the browser.

Best regards

invol

Post by invol » Fri Aug 26, 2011 2:12 am

My suggestion is a best option with Live, given its current functionality. It will sync to the current tempo.

As for other apps, not my territory : )

GrupoJyT

Post by GrupoJyT » Fri Aug 26, 2011 4:34 am

Don't worry, be happy

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Fri Aug 26, 2011 6:23 am

whats so hard... in dragging the midi clip to the session and hitting play ??? ffs... :x

dburns

Post by dburns » Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:05 am

3dot... wrote:whats so hard... in dragging the midi clip to the session and hitting play ??? ffs... :x
What is so hard is that when you want to preview a hundred or so MIDI drum loops you just bought, you have to set up a track and drag each loop individually into the session and hit play for each one.

It would be so much simpler, efficient, and productive to be able to assign the drum kit/software we want to use as the default MIDI preview sound source, don't you think?
Dave Burns
Lowell, MA

More equipment than skill.

agent314

Post by agent314 » Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:21 am

Drag them all into arrange view or Session view on a single MIDI track and then assign that one to a device and listen to them

That's what I've done with some of the clips that came with Session Drummer - it's not as easy as previewing in browser, but it's close

GrupoJyT

Post by GrupoJyT » Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:33 am

I agree with dburns. Is more easier selec an instrument as default and play the clips on the browser

cyberluke

Post by cyberluke » Tue Feb 25, 2020 6:55 pm

2020 and still cannot play midi in Ableton Browser through selected VSTi track as 100% of other DAWs.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Tue Feb 25, 2020 8:15 pm

interesting topic. short answer is no.
invol wrote:
Fri Aug 19, 2011 6:00 am
Live does not have a GM player built-in, and therefore cannot preview MIDI files in the browser, just MIDI Clips - which have an instrument associated with them.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

kitekrazy

Post by kitekrazy » Tue Feb 25, 2020 11:38 pm

There are other DAWs where you can audition midi files. FL, Live, and Reason don't. Reaper, Bandlab, Studio One do for sure. You do need a VST loaded for them to work. I use Session View and it's not that big of a chore.