Is it possible to adjust the song tempo from a MIDI track?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
drzoom

Is it possible to adjust the song tempo from a MIDI track?

Post by drzoom » Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:36 pm

While composing music, I record everything I play on the piano with Live in a MIDI track. That way I can play freely and use nice melodies from that recorded session, without the need to remember them.

But it's really hard work to adjust the recorded melody to a given song tempo afterwards.

While with audio tracks I just can set "beat markers" to adjust the tempo, it seems there is nothing similar for MIDI tracks. Or did I missed something?

Currently I take part by part from the original record, and use the "note stretch" function to adjust the tempo. This is working well, but a lot of work.

I also sometimes would like to adjust the song tempo that it is following the tempo of the MIDI track. Is there some function to archive this? I just listened to a demo track from e-instruments, where the song tempo follows the MIDI track, but it seems they adjusted the tempo manually (or imported it from another software).

Questions:
Can I adjust the song tempo based on a MIDI track?
Is there an easy way how I can change the tempo of a MIDI track as it is possible with the audio tracks?

best regards
Tobias