Abbey road 70s drums: your thoughts

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
v00d00ppl

Abbey road 70s drums: your thoughts

Post by v00d00ppl » Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:15 am

So I got one of these 29 dollars off coupon from native instruments and it seems like the only thing I would be interested in getting is this soundpack for kontakt.

I am mainly going to be using the drums to replay the drumloop that I thought about sampling. Then I will go from live and sample it into my EPS and bounce it back to live.

My production at te moment is mainly hiphop stuff like Pete Rock, just blaze, dilla. Think 90s golden era with a more modern sound kit

is it worth copping?

martinkellogs

Re: Abbey road 70s drums: your thoughts

Post by martinkellogs » Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:32 am

good price
Last edited by martinkellogs on Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

anybody human

Post by anybody human » Thu Aug 12, 2010 5:42 am

Wrong. That's a lazy cliché.

anybody human

Post by anybody human » Thu Aug 12, 2010 5:53 am

Actually he was pretty decent back then, and played on some of the best songs that will ever be recorded. And everything about the drum sound on those records is still copied and coveted. Even George Martin and Geoff Emerick can't get a great drum sound without a good drummer. Dynamics, pocket, feel, you can't have a good band without a good drummer, and he was in The Beatles. One time when he got fed up and left, they covered his kit with flowers, so he was certainly appreciated as a bandmate.

Read a very positive review of the Abbey Road drum library. Vintage Ludwig drums recorded in that room? What's not to like?

timothyallan

Post by timothyallan » Thu Aug 12, 2010 5:53 am

Wrong. That's an exciting cliché.

anybody human

Post by anybody human » Thu Aug 12, 2010 5:54 am

Not really.

anybody human

Post by anybody human » Thu Aug 12, 2010 5:58 am

He has seemed like a bit of a jackass for the last few decades, I'll give you that.

cabletone

Post by cabletone » Thu Aug 12, 2010 2:38 pm

I am all over the 70s tight (dead) kit for the type of stuff you are talking about. Sampling into the EPS would give you the golden era 12 bit dead drum sound you are looking for. Wish I had the discount as I am about to purchase as well. The price is very good even w/o the discount. If you want to do things the easy way (using kits as opposed to sampling/chopping) this is a no brainer. I don't think there are any kits out there that offer the same sound/features (please inform me if there are).

That being said there is something to be said for doing things the hard way--searching through and listening to old records and chopping the drums up. it's a different sound than sampling a software kit. in that process you also find little bits and pieces of sounds to sample that are not drums (think more like premier).. and learn more about music and train your ears. While there is a place for that kind of process we are in 2010 and must take advantage of what is out there. If pete rock had access to NI 70s drums in 1991 he would have been all over it guaranteed.

Is there any way one can use these in sampler or drum racks?

ewistrand

Post by ewistrand » Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:07 pm

cabletone wrote: Is there any way one can use these in sampler or drum racks?
Not unless you resave them in Kontakt as individual kits and samples.

ew

macmurphy

Post by macmurphy » Thu Aug 12, 2010 5:18 pm

martinkellogs wrote:ringo starr is the worst drummer in rock history.
wrong. that would be me.

v00d00ppl

Post by v00d00ppl » Thu Aug 12, 2010 7:22 pm

Is it true that the beatles used Earl Palmer as a session drummer for some of their recordings or is that an old wives tale?

contakt321

Post by contakt321 » Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:40 pm

Cool idea.

One thought on doing this (if indeed your goal is to get that gritty sampled vinyl sound) that I would try would be:

1. Program the drums in a fairly standard rock drum pattern (NOT a hip-hop pattern)
2. Record or find 30 seconds of vinyl noise (actual sample, not a plugin)
3. Layer the drums and the vinyl noise to taste
4. Sample in EPS, Chop the samples
5. Send samples from EPS back to Live
6. Make hip-hop beat

By layering the hits in a different order w/ the vinyl noise will recreate some of the same disjointed crackle you would have w/ sampling an old drum break off vinyl.

I think you could probably make some successful recreations of old drum break sounds w/ this technique. Might have to try it myself.

Ajbbklyn

Post by Ajbbklyn » Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:33 pm

The only session drummer to be foisted on the Beatles was Andy White - George Martin's decision for their first full recording session.

The only other post-Pete Best drummer to appear on a Beatles record is...Paul McCartney.
Andy Baum
(nicht der österreichische Musiker)
http://andy-baum.com

anybody human

Post by anybody human » Fri Aug 13, 2010 3:47 pm

Ajbbklyn wrote:The only session drummer to be foisted on the Beatles was Andy White - George Martin's decision for their first full recording session.

The only other post-Pete Best drummer to appear on a Beatles record is...Paul McCartney.
Yep. Pretty sure it's an old wives' tale. There was always the rumor of a jazz session drummer playing on Abbey Road. One time I was in L.A. visiting a friend and we hung out with some of his drummer friends (mind blowing afro-cuban jazz musicians). This topic came up and they all insisted it's Ringo, except for the occasional track with Paul McCartney playing all the instruments like on "Why Don't We Do It In The Road".

Billy Preston played with them, organ on Let It Be and electric piano on Get Back, and Clapton played on While My Guitar Gently Weeps, but that's about it. And of course there's all the orchestra and strings sessions.