Question for ableton staff

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Rave

Question for ableton staff

Post by Rave » Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:56 pm

Which operating system is the most stable for ableton live I.e. Which os has the least OS specific bugs in your experience?
:)

:twisted:

SubFunk

Re: Question for ableton staff

Post by SubFunk » Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:59 pm

dom more then often clearly stated his opinion on OS for audio.
*** Image GAFM ***

Rave

Post by Rave » Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:59 pm

Which is?

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Thu Aug 12, 2010 5:01 pm

OS X
*** Image GAFM ***

macmurphy

Post by macmurphy » Thu Aug 12, 2010 5:16 pm

tis true. i use a pc and i've never been able to run any music software whatsoever :wink:

Dennis DeSantis

Post by Dennis DeSantis » Thu Aug 12, 2010 5:44 pm

Rave wrote:Which operating system is the most stable for ableton live I.e. Which os has the least OS specific bugs in your experience?
:)

I'm not sure there's a "right" answer here.

Personally, I'm a Windows user, and have had great luck with Live on XP and Windows 7 systems (never tried Vista). On some systems, I had to do a considerable amount of hardware/driver tweaking in order to get consistent, low-latency audio, but it was always possible in the end.. But you will hear from some users that Live (and other audio software) is unstable on their Windows machines.

That being said, there are OS X users who have no problems and those who do.

We really don't think there's a "Best OS" for Live. Use what you're comfortable with.

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Thu Aug 12, 2010 5:51 pm

the real expert has spoken to sell more ableton licenses to both camps. wow.

i love the strong personal opinion not based on who is paying his bills.
Last edited by SubFunk on Thu Aug 12, 2010 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
*** Image GAFM ***

Rave

Post by Rave » Thu Aug 12, 2010 5:51 pm

Thank you for responding :) I understand your "what your comfortable" point of view however when fqce with 'software issues' which os would be the easiest to manage/support for ableton when it comes down to it?

Dennis DeSantis

Post by Dennis DeSantis » Thu Aug 12, 2010 6:02 pm

Rave wrote:Thank you for responding :) I understand your "what your comfortable" point of view however when fqce with 'software issues' which os would be the easiest to manage/support for ableton when it comes down to it?

(Whoops, sorry, I completely broke your post by editing it instead of replying to it.)

I think there's generally no doubt that OS X requires less fiddling, both with hardware and software, than Windows.

Personally, I'm still a Windows guy ;)

Best,

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Thu Aug 12, 2010 6:04 pm

rave, do you really believe you are going to get an honest answer?

i tell you this want happen, if they say openly the one or the other is seriously better then they loose potentially customers.

if they say mac, some of the PC users that simply can't afford one might step back or at least getting uncomfortable running it.

and vice versa mac user will questioning...

dennis is a prime example how to avoid any honesty or opinion but still being 100% loyal to ableton and it's customers :lol: , well at least the 16 year old brain disabled children under the customers, and shine a bright light onto the company.
(he must have read the one or other book about PR, is my guess, a wise man)

well, seriously an honest statement like that if you sell them for both platforms want happen, that would be shitting into your own house.

do you really think they care? they are a fast growing company interested in selling licenses, a lot. nothing wrong with that, just be aware that certain things come with it. ableton is not different then any other.

i really wonder sometimes, thinking you are a little bit older and intelligent man with some good life experiences.

well.
*** Image GAFM ***

Rave

Post by Rave » Thu Aug 12, 2010 6:10 pm

Dennis DeSantis wrote:
Rave wrote:Thank you for responding :) I understand your "what your comfortable" point of view however when fqce with 'software issues' which os would be the easiest to manage/support for ableton when it comes down to it?

(Whoops, sorry, I completely broke your post by editing it instead of replying to it.)
No worries that's windows for you :lol:

Thanks for responding. Horses for courses :)

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Thu Aug 12, 2010 6:25 pm

there's way more variation due to the stupid things the users do with either OS than there is with the performance between the platforms. this topic has been beat to death for years on MANY forums and there's still no definitive answer, just a meme for flame wars (nice job Rave. :roll: )

IMO Macs have the upside of being able to unplug and replug a USB device without having to restart Live, but that's not enough to make me switch OSes.

LOL @ SuBFunk conspiracy theories. yes, they're out to get you!!! serious business!!!
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Thu Aug 12, 2010 6:27 pm

what has conspiracy to do with plain and simple standard company politics?

still a fanboy?

i believe dennis is going to wash his tongue after this hard day before he might react on me, well he better does, though.
*** Image GAFM ***

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Thu Aug 12, 2010 6:39 pm

because I agree that it's not a big deal with OS you use.

you don't agree and are resorting to name calling to back your stance.

seriously, you're a grown man arguing about which computer operating system to use. think about that for a while. you're all pissed off about choice of operating system for a f-ing computer.

go smoke or drink whatever you need to chill out. maybe go outside and play while it's still summer.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Thu Aug 12, 2010 6:47 pm

Tone Deft wrote:because I agree that it's not a big deal with OS you use.

you don't agree and are resorting to name calling to back your stance.

seriously, you're a grown man arguing about which computer operating system to use. think about that for a while. you're all pissed off about choice of operating system for a f-ing computer.

go smoke or drink whatever you need to chill out. maybe go outside and play while it's still summer.
he? i reckon you smoked crack perhaps?

i don't care (what others use), i use what suits me and i have a very strong opinion on that, that's all.

what i said indeed is that there want be any honest and seriously judging answer on this topic from the side of the company employes, at least not from the ones without balls and any kind of honesty or own opinions, like dennis.

they make the apps for both platforms and they want to sell them to both users equally, i not even judged the selling point, i just stated it.
(any healthy company is interested in maximum sells, i just see ableton as what it is a company and not some holy grail)

they want say that the one or other is seriously better... they would in a way upset the one or other half of their (potential-) customers.

that is common sense.

that's it

and i think it's more fun to argue about cables by the way. :lol:

so continue supporting the giant asshole. that is dennis.
*** Image GAFM ***