Question for ableton staff

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Tone Deft

Re: Question for ableton staff

Post by Tone Deft » Thu Aug 12, 2010 7:29 pm

Dennis is class. great posts, great videos and he's having a helluva run with a career in audio, I totally respect that. I hope he continues to contribute to the community. sucks to be him and have to play nanny to rude little shits like you. so it goes, at least he has a gig at Ableton.

Funk, you're being rude to the web site's host, poor form. you're a hard headed bastard. sometimes that's fun, usually it's just disappointing. you have no selling points, just personal attacks, I'm wondering why I even bother to read your posts let alone reply.

chill, people are pretty sick of the hate rants. if you can't argue your side without name calling you've lost the argument.

christ, a whole post that has nothing to do with the topic on hand. sorry forum.

/logout

edit - cable debates! :lol: :twisted:
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

Dennis DeSantis

Post by Dennis DeSantis » Thu Aug 12, 2010 7:43 pm

Tone Deft wrote:sucks to be him and have to play nanny
Not a problem, It's part of the gig.

Gentlemen - let's either try to answer Rave's question or not. I see no reason to devote endless numbers of forum threads to talking about, er, me. After all, why should a mindless corporate PR drone get so much attention?

Thanks,

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:03 pm

the answer to Rave's question is yes, Rave is a sneaky little bastard.

what killed this whole conversation for me is reading Mac users with identical hardware having wholly different experiences with Live. I can take that further to say that identical PCs can lead to different experiences.

use what OS you know better, keep your computer clean, backup often and try to not piss the damn thing off.

with Live it's important to watch your drive space, sometimes the downloads for new releases are HUGE. many times I'll download a new version, it performs poorly because I'm out of drive space. delete the download, save a Gig or two of space, Live runs better.

or as Sub Funk says "GAFM!"

YMMV.
In my life
Why do I smile
-Moz

3phase

Post by 3phase » Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:38 pm

How does the new scrum master feels ?
mac book 2,16 ghz 4(3)gb ram, Os 10.62, fireface 400,

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:40 pm

:lol:

everyone hold hands and go "scrummmmmmmmmmmmmmmm..."

scrum works, ever try it?
In my life
Why do I smile
-Moz

jasperhb

Post by jasperhb » Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:44 pm

Windows 7 x64 is rock solid with Live 8.14 and lightning fast even under heavy load.

I havn't tried 8.15 yet, but I expect that it is as good or better than the previous versions.

I've never tried Mac OS so I don't know if is better, worse or just the same.
Last edited by jasperhb on Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

3phase

Post by 3phase » Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:47 pm

scrummy mummy

dum

Post by dum » Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:20 pm

Sub's right in as much as an ableton rep is never (see: in a million years) going to offer anything but a carefully thought out PR blurb in response to this question.

Tone's right in as much as Dennis is no better or worse in this regard than the reps before him.

carry on.
Pasha wrote:Thanks dum for being so precise.

flowdesigner

Post by flowdesigner » Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:24 pm

Made the move from Windows 7 to OS X 3 days ago. I have never been happier with a computer than my MBP 15 2.66 anti-glare. Next up is SSD !!

3phase

Post by 3phase » Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:24 pm

dum wrote:Sub's right in as much as an ableton rep is never (see: in a million years) going to offer anything but a carefully thought out PR blurb in response to this question.

Tone's right in as much as Dennis is no better or worse in this regard than the reps before him.

carry on.

i think hes much better

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:31 pm

SubFunk wrote: dennis

What happened between you two again? Weren't you butt buddies at one point?
I came for the :lol:
But stayed for the :x

dum

Post by dum » Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:38 pm

3phase wrote:
dum wrote:Sub's right in as much as an ableton rep is never (see: in a million years) going to offer anything but a carefully thought out PR blurb in response to this question.

carry on.

i think hes much better
better in which way ?
Pasha wrote:Thanks dum for being so precise.

dom

Post by dom » Fri Aug 13, 2010 3:54 am

Guys, sorry to interrupt - but i think this thread is heading off into a whole wrong direction.

What do we have here?

Rave asked a question.

And while the forum regulars, knowing the forum and its topics as well as Rave as a steady contributor to this community for the past couple of years, this initial post is more or less a running gag - maybe even scratching the boundaries of trolling.
Hence the evil smiley at the end!

And even if this can totally confuse new forum participants, i don't want to really call it that way.
Our policy has always been not to censor any opinions or questions on our forum. Instead we'd love to keep a healthy but technically profound discussion about our product going on in our community - totally unmoderated, if stated in a decent manner.

This is how i also would like to see this question discussed - if you dissect it seriously, it can actually be pretty interesting, as different people have different needs:

For example, Subfunk quoted me right at the beginning of the thread regarding my private opinion on OS X.
This has specific technical and also personal reasons in my case, and i'm happy to discuss it further in this thread, if needed (again… :-)).

One example would be CoreAudio compared to ASIO drivers, as it lets me use different applications at the same time, talking to a low latency audio driver - pretty handy, at least when doing support work. For a long time this has not been possible using ASIO on Windows, just by specification.
And for good reasons regarding serious studio work: In order to allow different applications to access the driver simultaneously, you might have to make use of sample rate conversion on the driver level in order to sync up the signals or match what you send to it - which degrades the sound if it has to be applied in specific cases, even if sample rate conversion itself has very much improved over the time.
But Live as an application is not involved at this stage.

Another reason would be the different USB hotplugging behavior or just the fact that i can buy a laptop featuring all this while being made of metal instead of plastics, which i can throw around 24/7 a week for years while working in the office, at home and in clubs. I'm not too kind when it comes to handling my hardware :)
As is said, personal reasons.

But this all comes with a price - this time actually as in "price tag".
For someone else, on the other hand, it might be more interesting to get a much cheaper machine with the same processing power, more freedom of choice in commercial and free VST plugins, supported external hardware like audio interfaces etc.
We try hard to support all those use cases.
Funnily enough, most often this does not boil down to Live itself.
Live is developed using Ableton's own cross platform framework since the beginning - and if you try a forum search or check the bugfix release notes, platform depend bugs are the vast minority when it comes to Live itself - and those that happen, can happen on both sides of the OS war.

What i don't like to see on the other hand, are discussions leaving the technical facts behind and attacking people personally.

This is against the code of behavior of our forum, regardless if it involves someone in the ableton community itself or ableton's employees posting here.
The technical support team and me personally often tried to take care about that in this forum, if absolutely necessary, and we're glad that Dennis took over, allowing us to shift our focus completely to our most important task again; the technical support itself. This should be our main concern - and i have to confess Dennis is doing a marvelous job here and i can underline everything he has posted so far on behalf of ableton.

Speaking of this, i'm even more disappointed to see that a forum regular, who even managed the Berlin User Group once, personally attacks him while fulfilling this task.

This is why i would like to ask you, Subfunk, to restate your posts in this thread without offending anyone according to the known rules of behavior.
http://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=98872

Again, we are happy to hear about and react to any kind of technical criticism you might stumble upon, but if you carry on with those personal attacks, i'm afraid we have to exclude you from the forum, as stated in the document above.
I've recently seen a lot of posts going on between Dennis and you, using very harsh language from your side, without him losing his temper at all or speaking of any rules - and i admire him for this. But i really think you have crossed a line now in this thread and therefore i hope we can take it back to a reasonable level of communication again, without taking further measures.

Thanks for your understanding,
Dom
ableton support team
support@ableton.com

sublimelobc

Post by sublimelobc » Fri Aug 13, 2010 4:54 am

I used pc's up through vista, and had become accustomed to reinstalling windows about every year and a half, which becomes very time consuming by the time you collect several years of audio software.

I switched to mac and honestly haven't had to reinstall an operating system in 4 years on 3 different macs, there have probably been a similar amount of issues with software....which has really been minimal for the most part on both pc and mac.

The big noticeable difference for me is the huge amounts of time saved by not having to do "fresh installs" of an operating system and then all the software.

I think all the comments that make clear that both mac and pc will have issues, and that a person is more likely to avoid problems while working within the environment they know their way around the best address the question of "mac vs pc" the smartest.

Thanks Dennis and Dom for your efforts to keep the forum a great resource for all of us, I think you represent Ableton well, your patience and efforts don't go unnoticed. There is so much great information within the forum, we all get carried away and hijack threads from time to time but it is great to see that respect is the rule here. Peace.

morbid

Post by morbid » Fri Aug 13, 2010 6:29 am

sublimelobc wrote: Thanks Dennis and Dum for your efforts to keep the forum a great resource for all of us, I think you represent Ableton well,
8O