Looking for something similar to Sampler

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
3phase

Re: Looking for something similar to Sampler

Post by 3phase » Sat Aug 14, 2010 11:42 am

oh.. and the typical fanboy answer to the qestion..something similar as sampler is ..

"buy sampler" sampler is great...

is not boring?

sorry sampler is boring and this thread is a good oportunity to point out why..
only a strange opinion? sure.. but isnt that what makes the internet intersting?
buy sampler.. buy sampler..
go to the native instrument forum and listen what they recomend there..
any bets?

the main advantage of programs like sampler is that you can access the esx and akai lib´s.. it dont has to offer much on a sound design base and it dont sounds especially good or special.. you cant even perform timestretching on vocals you have placed on the keyboard..sorry man..thats a production standard of the 80´s and you cant perform this age old vocal production trick with the mighty ableton sampler :?:

therfore its basically a cheap rompler.. only retards buy romplers..
thats my opinion. and this is no religion.. its rather rebellion..
inka rebelion :!: :lol:
as technology evolved we can finally get back to music.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
thats a good one too, as you can hear everyday in theese absolute creative and new sounding music that is clogging all channels..
really astonishing what people can do with such an amount of sound generating presets...
just to go thru the factory lib can keep you engaged for years...
10000 prestes here ..10000 prestes there, apple loops all over the place..

machines with just 64 presets was so relaxing.. you was able to overwrite them with own creations within a week... and the good thing.. all the factory presets was close to unusabel bad.. what a great treat for own sound design..
now that is what i call instant gratification.. turn a knob and a shit sound gets cool...

must be depressiv to grow up in a world of pro sound designed rommpler libs...

i think this all is the revenge of the establishment for rock´n roll.
i guess we will see something like the reinvention of punk soon.. hope they dont become canibals this time...
mac book 2,16 ghz 4(3)gb ram, Os 10.62, fireface 400,

dna598

Post by dna598 » Sat Aug 14, 2010 11:57 am

oh, 3phase you are amusing!

Yes, pain is good. Sometimes you do learn.

But personally I think what you're suggesting is geek muso masochism.

Tiny Lcd, scroll wheel, floppy disks, old technology etc etc ? please mate..... :roll:

No I have never done real time scratcthing on a dd1000, I cant be fucking bothered mate. I'm only 30! I'd rather get on with it!

You clearly can't use live to achieve satisfactory results. That is certainly what I understand from reading your very amusing posts.
Last edited by dna598 on Sat Aug 14, 2010 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ctrl + left/right = select transient

ctrl + shift + left/right = select between transients

ctrl + space = play selection

3phase

Post by 3phase » Sat Aug 14, 2010 12:26 pm

dna598 wrote:oh, 3phase you are amusing!

Yes, pain is good. Sometimes you do learn.

But personally I think what you're suggesting is geek muso masochism.

Tiny Lcd, scroll wheel, floppy disks, old technology etc etc ? please mate..... :roll:

No I have never done real time scratcthing on a dd1000, I cant be fucking bothered mate. I'm only 30! I'd rather get on with it!

You clearly can't use live to achieve satisfactory results. That is certainly what I understand from reading your very amusing posts.

sampler is no satisfactory plug in.. true..

beside that.. i think i ve worked with allmost every synth and sequencer in the last 25 years and with some you need to fight more than wth others to get satisfactory results.. i really know what good features are and what is rather lame .. you can achive something with every thing.. and difficult to handle things like a kyma system or max can be most rewarding on the other hand.. but i am not into one of theese because my affection for pain is limited..

i defently would like to have suite for the integration of basic tools as we have it in logc and cubase. i just cant, aslong its only one plug that i find classy enough to be touched.

necho

Post by necho » Sat Aug 14, 2010 1:37 pm

The Carpet Cleaner wrote:Thank you 3phase to let us know how bad Sampler is.
It's very interesting and I hope you'll give us more info on this soon.
LOL

... thanks 3phase for making me realise that my propensity to fuck around with gear instead of making music is actually at the moderate end of the scale.
Last edited by necho on Sun Aug 15, 2010 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
_________
sigs suck.

3phase

Post by 3phase » Sat Aug 14, 2010 1:52 pm

necho wrote: LOL

... thanks 3phase for making me realise that my propensity to fuck with gear around instead of making music is actually at the moderate end of the scale.

no sex until marriage.. stay away from the filth

GeoSuPhat

Post by GeoSuPhat » Sat Aug 14, 2010 10:33 pm

Try Shortcircuit its a free sampler from Vember Audio the makers of Surge.

http://vemberaudio.se/shortcircuit.php

But it would be nice to see Sampler get an Operator overhaul next round.

nowtime

Post by nowtime » Mon Aug 16, 2010 4:30 am

Thanks 3Phase for the scathing review of Sampler. I was about to buy it because I've wanted it forever. I will hold off and see if Kontakt will satisfy my soft-sampler needs. But I will be surprised if it does, since NI is not always stable/user-friendly. In which case I will buy Ableton's 2nd-rate sampler. Funny - I think this is the first bad rreview of Sampler that I've read. I really resonated with your explanation of polyphonic chordal work using a sampler. I wish hardware wasn't so big and heavy. My Akai S5000 is in storage forever.
Life is Good

Cool Character

Post by Cool Character » Mon Aug 16, 2010 4:56 am

PROTIP: if 3phase doesn't like it; but several of it.

Dr. Fluffenstein

Post by Dr. Fluffenstein » Mon Aug 16, 2010 6:30 am

GeoSuPhat wrote:Try Shortcircuit its a free sampler from Vember Audio the makers of Surge.

http://vemberaudio.se/shortcircuit.php

But it would be nice to see Sampler get an Operator overhaul next round.
I did try it, but it doesn't report it's parameters to live so I can't map or automate anything.

necho

Post by necho » Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:28 am

nowtime wrote: In which case I will buy Ableton's 2nd-rate sampler.
You do realize that it'll be absolutely impossible to make any music with Ableton's sampler because its shit and fanboy-corporate-easy-marketing-something-or-other?

If you can't afford a rack of S2000s and a bunch of analogue synths you should just give up.

In fact why are you even using Ableton? WHY AM I USING IT? ARRRGGGHHH!!!!

:roll:
_________
sigs suck.

AceLuby

Post by AceLuby » Mon Aug 16, 2010 1:41 pm

I didn't read all of the shit throwing, but did anyone mention that the OP was just planning on mapping 128 samples to keys? For that purpose why would anyone need to get a HW sampler or an expensive VST over sampler?
levimoniz wrote:yes i'm a hypocrite and not intelligent

necho

Post by necho » Mon Aug 16, 2010 2:19 pm

It was just 3phase having one of his episodes. Not shit-throwing really...

There is no earthly reason why Sampler isn't completely sufficient for the OP's purposes.
_________
sigs suck.

DEEMUSIC

Post by DEEMUSIC » Mon Aug 16, 2010 2:38 pm

Man go to KVR and do a sampler search, they still never answered your question I've found some good thing there for FREE. Less Flaming would make this form more useful

memes_33

Post by memes_33 » Mon Aug 16, 2010 4:24 pm

3phase wrote:you cant even perform timestretching on vocals you have placed on the keyboard..sorry man..thats a production standard of the 80´s and you cant perform this age old vocal production trick with the mighty ableton sampler :?:
he does have a good point here- the fact that when you fill the keyboard up with a sample, it pitches up/down by speeding up/slowing down the sample, making the higher notes shorter in length. i know why they do this - b/c it sounds better, but you should have the option to time stretch the sample instead. he's right- even an ASR-10 can do that (although it sounds horrible!)
Hip-Hop, Breakbeat, Glitch, IDM, Dub, & Mashups! Go to:
http://memes.bandcamp.com
http://www.soundcloud.com/memes_33

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Mon Aug 16, 2010 4:35 pm

3phase wrote: but i agree that beside operator and sampler the rest of the suite is crap..
Sorry man but this is nonsense. It's one thing to not like the instruments, but Electric and Tension are pretty awesome instruments. Analog is great too, although I personally place less value on it because I got ultra analog for 20 bucks from audiomidi.com.

I don't find sampler to be anything special at all, but the suite overall has some good stuff for sure.
Professional Shark Jumper.