Assign knob to switch button immediately

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
mrboni

Assign knob to switch button immediately

Post by mrboni » Fri Aug 13, 2010 3:01 pm

Hi

How do I assign a midi knob to a button in live so any non zero value from the knob will switch on the button? For example turning the knob from zero immediately switches on an effect device and continuing to turn the knob adjusts a parameter within that.

gibson_ewok

Re: Assign knob to switch button immediately

Post by gibson_ewok » Fri Aug 13, 2010 3:39 pm

I think you may need to use a rack for this.

For this example lets say your using Analog and you want to switch on a phaser by starting to turn the knob then as you keep turning the knob you want adjust the filter cutoff on Analog to go from 100Hz to 1 kHz.

1. Drop Analog in a MIDI channel.
2. Click on the Analog device and click Cmd+G (to group the device into a rack)
3. Open your macro control section, select map mode and map filter cutoff to macro 1 setting the minimum value to 100 and maximum value to 1.0k in the mapping browser.
4. Drop a phaser after Analog yet still in the rack.
5. Go back to map mode and map the device on/off button to macro 2 but this time make the minimum value 0 and the maximum value 1 in your mapping browser. This way when the knob is all the way down it's off and as soon as you start to turn it your device will turn on.
6. Click on the rack with Analog and Phaser in it and press Cmd+G again to put it in another rack.
7. Open the macro controls on the new rack and map macro 1 and 2 from rack one (the one with Analog and phaser in it) to macro 1 on rack 2 (the new one you just grouped your first rack in to).

Now when you map a knob on your controller to this 1 macro knob as soon as you begin to turn it you will be turning on a device and as you continue to turn it you will be adjusting a parameter. You can keep nesting racks this way and do it for many parameters.

Cheers,
Bill.

outershpongolia

Post by outershpongolia » Fri Aug 13, 2010 4:38 pm

MIN 0, MAX 1.. then map the other param.. don't really need macro's but they are easiest because if you decide to change where it's mapped you just change the macro rather than everywhere it's mapped..

I use this to turn on a filter AND redux while sweeping thru the filter, works awesome..

gibson_ewok

Post by gibson_ewok » Sat Aug 14, 2010 12:12 am

Yeah I like to use Macro's because you can map so many of them and nest so many racks within one another and get some really far out results.

outershpongolia

Post by outershpongolia » Sat Aug 14, 2010 1:33 am

I usually set the max anywhere from 3 - 10 so that you don't accidentally nudge the knob 1 notch over and something happens, gives you a little bit of wiggle room on the APC encoders.. feel me? 8)

mrboni

Post by mrboni » Sun Aug 15, 2010 10:55 am

Thanks for your suggestions.

I'll try them out today.
:)

AjnaRajah

Post by AjnaRajah » Wed Aug 03, 2022 5:24 pm

Sorry to dig out old post like this but I struggled to much with this.

It's actually possible to do it :

On the midi control screen set the "on/off" value to :
Min : 62
Max : 64

Right click on the line "invert values"