Advice on sending demo's?.....

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Vass

Advice on sending demo's?.....

Post by Vass » Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:43 pm

Hi,

I was hoping to get some advice on the subject. It's something I have been thinking about doing recently. Im sure there is an etiquette involved and im sure certain schoolboy errors in email format or content could result in demo's getting bypassed or lost in the daily intake of most labels inbox's.

I like to get advice on these things before hand as im sure I will learn something. Even if it's something that seems obvious afterwards. I make electronic music probably catogorised as tech house or electro house, maybe some techno (it varies).

Anyway my plan is to research as many labels as possible that I think might be interested in my music based on there current releases and then email them demo's individually.

Would you say there is a recommended number of demo's you would send off in one email, 2 or 3? Would you send them in MP3 format, if so what quality? Or would you direct them to soundcloud or something?

As for email content, should that be short and sweet? Im assuming a bio and links to this that and the other might be over the top initially unless they actually like the muisc, then they might request more info?

I know there are no hard and fast rules here but if anyone has opinions or personal experiences (sending or receiving demo's) then I would love to hear them to help me decide on my plan of attack.

Very much appreciated!!

Thanks for the help!

v0ins315

Re: Advice on sending demo's?.....

Post by v0ins315 » Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:07 pm

I'm not a label owner, but I would think soundcloud would be your best bet?
Cool Character wrote:Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
http://www.soundcloud.com/v0ins
http://www.facebook.com/v0ins

Post by 4.33 » Tue Aug 17, 2010 6:29 pm

most labels have their own demo policy. some will accept links to soundcloud/myspace/etc, some would want you to upload demos on their server, some still use ancient PO boxes. so obviously check their websites

Rave

Post by Rave » Tue Aug 17, 2010 6:31 pm

If I receive a submission by soundcloud and I see that it has been sent to lots of labels randomly I ignore it completely. The personal touch is paramount plus make sure your tracks are in keeping with the label output :)

Vass

Post by Vass » Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:13 pm

Good advice guys!

Thanks for the input!

Rave

Post by Rave » Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:20 pm

Good luck with it :)

Pasha

Post by Pasha » Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:42 pm

Good Luck.

You could upload your material in some of the sites connected to creative commons
so that you can decide to license your work an prohibit commercial derivatives
without your consent. Although this will not keep you safe from stolen works
(you will always need a good lawyer for that) at least makes your work public domain
with Creative Commons license and you can use the hosting site address to attach as
many songs as you like. I have used Alonetone for that and it's ok.

- Best
- Pasha
Mac Studio M1
Live 12 Suite,Zebra ,Valhalla Plugins, MIDI Guitar (2+3),Guitar, Bass, VG99, GP10, JV1010 and some controllers

Brian Ffar

Post by Brian Ffar » Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:36 pm

My advice as a label owner who receives way to many demos daily to even go through:

PERSONALIZE, PERSONALIZE, PERSONALIZE!

My thought is that if you can't take 5 seconds to write something you know about the label, write why your music would fit on our label, and/or address our label or one of its owners by name, you will most definitely not get a response back.

I'm not sure if it's a technology thing, an age thing, or something else, but all we get these days is a blanket email that's sent out to another 100 labels at the same time with only a "listen to my tracks."

I would imagine that most labels take their music very seriously, like we do. When you send your soundcloud link to 1500 other people/labels, it shows that you don't really care all that much and are not willing to put the time it takes to develop a relationship with the right label.

I've seen it countless times. Artists spam the internet, get a deal, and are upset later on because they were hasty in their decision to sign with the first label that comes along.

If you're music is good and you know of the right labels that your stuff would fit, you should find yourself in a position to choose the highest profile label that will actually do something for you besides steal your hard work.

Vass

Post by Vass » Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:04 pm

Yeah i think the research is a key factor along with personal emails!

I was planning on picking the labels based on current releases but I get the impression from Brian Ffar that i should be also sussing out the labels reputation as there may be a few out there without the best intentions. Suppose i would be nieve to think otherwise as this is business afterall.

Any advice on what to be wary of or potential issues that could arrise?

Thanks again!

Brian Ffar

Post by Brian Ffar » Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:26 pm

All the contracts in the world won't guarantee you'll get paid fairly (or at all). Talk to other artists on the label to get a feel for working with them. Unfortunately, if you're into making electronic music, there isn't a lot (relative term) of money to be made in sales these days with so much rampant piracy. You'll want a label taht can pull its weight in recognition and credibility. Hopefully you'll get some gigs out of your releases.

Quite honestly, you'll have to take a leap of faith that you're working with a trustworthy label. Some labels may want to hold on to revenues until they reach a certain threshold. For example, they won't actually send you a payent until your cut has exceed a certain amount of money. They say it's easier for accounting, but it's actually harder. I don't care if one of our artists make $5000 in sales or $0.05, we make the payment every quarter just the same because THAT's the easiest way to keep everything straight.

Look out for how they handle the licensing of your tracks to third party compilations. Will they split the licensing fee with you? What's the split?

Make sure a label is willing to show you the statements if you ask. If they're honest and doing their job, this isn't even an issue. No reason to hide anything - we're all in this together. Any label that won't show you suggests (even if it's not true) that they're lying or have something to hide.

If I think of anything else, I will add it to this thread.

Brian Ffar

Post by Brian Ffar » Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:33 pm

You'll also want to ask if they will be mastering your music, and who will be doing the mastering. it's totally ok if they're not, but make sure you're both on the same page, and that you're ok with that. I've heard stories of labels who say they've had an artist's tracks mastered, but never were able to provide any information about the engineer and never sent the "mastered" tracks back to the artist for approval.

APPROVAL

These are your tracks. Ultimately, it's up to the label to determine if they're appropriate for release, but as a common courtesy, it would be nice of them to forward you the mastered tracks for comment. This is an "ideaized" situation though - many labels are on a time crunch and have to get things out quickly.

Also, find out if they'll ship you a number of your promos and official vinyl releases for posterity. It would suck to have to go and buy your own release online or from a local shop because your label won't send you any.

Do NOT, under any circumstances, let them tell you that they are going to subract from your cut any monies they used to promote or advertise your music. That is a LABEL'S job, not an artist's. As a label, it's their responsibility to take that risk, not yours.

Vass

Post by Vass » Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:49 pm

More great advice Brian!!

Can i also ask, if I get interest from a label should i ensure all this is agreed prior to anything being made official to avoid problems down the line?

Would you say it is normal practice for you to run through all this with new artists from the start and is this they most labels should/would work?

Much appreciated!

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:11 pm

If you do send out MP3's, make sure you tag them well. Make your name and email EASY for the label to find when they're listening to your submissions in the middle of dozens of others. Album artwork too, do everything you can to stand out.

Brian Ffar

Post by Brian Ffar » Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:18 pm

Vass wrote:More great advice Brian!!

Can i also ask, if I get interest from a label should i ensure all this is agreed prior to anything being made official to avoid problems down the line?

Would you say it is normal practice for you to run through all this with new artists from the start and is this they most labels should/would work?

Much appreciated!
It would be nice if everything was hashed out in the beginning - that way nobody leaves the table disappointed. In an ideal world, all of this should happen, but we don't live in an ideal world. As an artist looking for a deal, it's a fine line to walk. You certainly don't want to come off as a diva demanding things. On the other hand, you need to keep your eyes and ears open and protect yourself from getting screwed.

Don't be hard up about it, just bring it up in casual conversation and see hwo they react. Again, all you can do is take a leap of faith, so make sure you know the label owners, you've developed somewhat of a relationship with them, and hopefuly everything will be rainbows and unicorns.

You SHOULD be signing contracts for your deals. We have an inhouse Intellectual Patent attorney that handles all of our contract negotiations. However, in my experience, the majority of smaller labels won't have an attorney, adn may not even have contracts. Again, depending on your level of trust, I would recommend that you always sign an agreement. And, fi there is something you don't understand or don't agree with - ask them to explain it to you.

3phase

Post by 3phase » Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:47 pm

Brian Ffar wrote:
you should find yourself in a position to choose the highest profile label that will actually do something for you besides steal your hard work.

wow... thats honest words out of the music biz...
mac book 2,16 ghz 4(3)gb ram, Os 10.62, fireface 400,