All times are UTC

 
 



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Help! Need simplest/safest way of triggering backing tracks!
PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:36 pm 

Joined: Wed Dec 17, 2008 7:05 pm
Posts: 377
Ok, I'm looking for the simplest/safest way of triggering some wav files as backing tracks for on stage.
Here's what I'll be doing and using :

I have 7 audio wav files, these will be 7 backing beats that I'll be playing guitar over. I want to trigger each of these backing songs using the pads on my Akai LPD8 pad controller, and my laptop. What is the best way for me to do this?
I want to use these pads, so I can put a sticker on each pad, saying what each particular song is - save me messing up. Do I have all 7 songs on one track in Arrangement view? (I only want to be using Arrangement view by the way, it's the only part of Live I'm familiar with!) ....... Any ideas guys?

Cheers!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Help! Need simplest/safest way of triggering backing tracks!
PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:01 pm 

Joined: Thu Dec 17, 2009 6:16 pm
Posts: 4
The quick and safest way is actualy in session view, you could put each of your wav files into a clip slot and trigger each clip with your pad controller.

If you intend to use Live for live work it is worth the effort to master session view.

As for using arrangment view, not sure it can be done easily.

Mark


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Help! Need simplest/safest way of triggering backing tracks!
PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:11 pm 

Joined: Wed Dec 17, 2008 7:05 pm
Posts: 377
machstudio wrote:
The quick and safest way is actualy in session view, you could put each of your wav files into a clip slot and trigger each clip with your pad controller.

If you intend to use Live for live work it is worth the effort to master session view.

As for using arrangment view, not sure it can be done easily.

Mark



So what, like midi map each track to 'start' when I hit the pad?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Help! Need simplest/safest way of triggering backing tracks!
PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 6:23 pm 

Joined: Tue Oct 28, 2008 9:03 am
Posts: 290
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lw6iXo9-GeE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OpOw8fOs ... 1&index=28

http://www.youtube.com/user/AbletonInc# ... XuQrp2Ankw

http://www.youtube.com/user/AbletonInc# ... 6RqDMDqWuY


Last edited by monobeach on Tue Aug 17, 2010 6:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Help! Need simplest/safest way of triggering backing tracks!
PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 6:29 pm 

Joined: Wed Aug 25, 2004 12:13 pm
Posts: 3645
lolalola wrote:
Ok, I'm looking for the simplest/safest way of triggering some wav files as backing tracks for on stage.
Here's what I'll be doing and using :

I have 7 audio wav files, these will be 7 backing beats that I'll be playing guitar over. I want to trigger each of these backing songs using the pads on my Akai LPD8 pad controller, and my laptop. What is the best way for me to do this?
I want to use these pads, so I can put a sticker on each pad, saying what each particular song is - save me messing up. Do I have all 7 songs on one track in Arrangement view? (I only want to be using Arrangement view by the way, it's the only part of Live I'm familiar with!) ....... Any ideas guys?

Cheers!

If you dont want to use Session, put your tracks in arranger view, set markers hit midi learn and assign to your MPD pads

P.S. I use both solutions- session or arranger depending on job, each has its own advantages. Linear is better for or example for theater or dance theater performances. Session has more options, better for music performance

_________________
www.electrotimba.com
music & videos
@ iTunes
@ junodownloads


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Help! Need simplest/safest way of triggering backing tracks!
PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 5:38 pm 

Joined: Thu Dec 17, 2009 6:16 pm
Posts: 4
lolalola wrote:

So what, like midi map each track to 'start' when I hit the pad?


Yep.
Drag your wav file into a clip slot.
Click the MIDI learn button,
Click the clips start button,then hit the pad you want to trigger it
Switch off the MIDI learn and your done.

Mark


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Help! Need simplest/safest way of triggering backing tracks!
PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 6:06 pm 

Joined: Tue Oct 28, 2008 9:03 am
Posts: 290
machstudio wrote:
lolalola wrote:

So what, like midi map each track to 'start' when I hit the pad?


Yep.
Drag your wav file into a clip slot.
Click the MIDI learn button,
Click the clips start button,then hit the pad you want to trigger it
Switch off the MIDI learn and your done.

Mark


:idea: hey!, it's Ableton Live!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Help! Need simplest/safest way of triggering backing tracks!
PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 2:59 pm 

Joined: Wed Dec 17, 2008 7:05 pm
Posts: 377
I'm trying this all today, but running into problems already!
ok, am in Session view. I've hooked up my LPD8 ... dragged 8 songs into 8 separate clips, all within the one track. However, when I then click on "midi" (so all the assignable stuff turns blue/purple) and try to map this stuff, I get the error message below... Basically each pad is triggering the same clip :

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 

All times are UTC

 
 

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group