Looking for beta testers for The Bridge

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Dennis DeSantis

Looking for beta testers for The Bridge

Post by Dennis DeSantis » Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:28 pm

Hi folks,

The Bridge is in public beta over on Serato's forum, and we're looking for more testers.

To join the public beta of The Bridge, you need to own the full version of Live/Suite 8 and Serato Scratch Live hardware, and have a registered forum account at serato.com and ableton.com. (Live Intro and Lite versions of Live won't work with The Bridge. The Trial version is disabled during the beta, but will work with The Bridge upon release).

You'll find a manual, getting started information and the necessary beta builds of each program here: http://www.serato.com/forum/area/292

And check the movies here for a sneak peek of The Bridge in action:
http://www.serato.com/thebridge

Best,

Mudo

Re: Looking for beta testers for The Bridge

Post by Mudo » Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:23 pm

I want to it but I haven't Rane Hardware sorry.

john gordon

Post by john gordon » Sun Aug 22, 2010 12:43 am

isnt live 8 still in beta as well?

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Sun Aug 22, 2010 6:32 am

john gordon wrote:isnt live 8 still in beta as well?
Its the same beta.
Improvements and feature changes

- 8.1.6b2 adds support for The Bridge beta, which is being maintained by Serato.

Post by 102455 » Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:49 am

Mudo wrote:...
Ditto - and I'm not about to drop that much cash just to try it out!

I wonder - has this situation arisen because there aren't many SSL users
with a legal copy of Ableton Live? :twisted: :wink:

I'm sure there are lots of DJs out there who use AL, but in my opinion
they would more likely be House (or similar) DJs, whereas SSL users tend
to be more your turntablist/scratch type DJs.

It would be cool if Ableton Live interfaced in the same way with other
popular DJ software more likely to be used by House (etc) DJs....

Mudo

Post by Mudo » Mon Aug 23, 2010 1:53 pm

It is possible with LiveOSC and DVS which send OSC (like Ms. Pinky and traktor... maybe VDJ??)

;)

tchan

Post by tchan » Mon Aug 23, 2010 4:31 pm

Is it possible to authorize a third machine just to test the bridge? It's challenging enough to keep track of the various Live updates on my production and performance laptops. For such a new product, I'd rather isolate the beta apps on a separate machine and not risk any unforeseeable conflicts with my main rigs.

dahlailama

Post by dahlailama » Mon Aug 23, 2010 4:40 pm

I would really like :roll: but my hardware is from the other one in town...

HeadrickProductions

Post by HeadrickProductions » Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:45 pm

102455 wrote:
Mudo wrote:...
I wonder - has this situation arisen because there aren't many SSL users
with a legal copy of Ableton Live? :twisted: :wink:
That and I'm sure folks are waiting to see what it's really all about before dropping $400

I think more and more people will jump on board as time goes on
In a K induced Haze (the old K kind not the special K kind ), but an Asian spizz can sometimes bring me out! If ya don't get it, ya never will.

Swing like your life depends on it

Frederik654

Post by Frederik654 » Tue Aug 24, 2010 12:48 pm

I'm a Serato user for my weekly dj sets and I only play house, tech house and minimal (and not the bad, fake minimal :) ). I use Serato around 4 years now coming from a lifetime of vinyl use and I use Ableton around 6 years for my own small productions so you can guess that for me the announcement that the two would merge was like OMG 8O

However, the bridge will fail to please me, .. end of story.

It really sucks for those who play house styles with the vinyls and need to do longer mixes than 20 seconds or like to have Ableton actually DO something during a set instead of triggering some scenes and scratching to it.

So basically yes, the bridge is for a select few that have a short set, do a little scratching, trigger some loops internally but it's not for those who actually expect to have Ableton acting as a live 3th deck next to the vinyls that can play solo, along or next to my dj set. Sync sucks, interface is like :| , ..

If you do some turntablism, trigger drum loops in Ableton and scratch the Bridge will be ok.
If you expect to have a 5 hour set with two turntables, some real vinyl and Ableton playing along continuously (long pads, voices, clap rhythms like a maschine-traktor setup) the bridge will fail big time.

I really love Ableton and I really love Serato but the partnership product will not be for everyone who owns the two packets. I will not switch to Traktor because I like the Serato GUI (I even own Traktor Pro and an Audio4Dj). It just would have been fun to use for instance the microtonic live during dj sets (the noise release :mrgreen: )
Live8 Suite, Logic Pro X, µTonic, Synplant, U-He ACE, U-He Zebra2.x, U-He Uhbik's, U-He DIVA, Tal Bassline, GURU, Genelec 8040's, SPL Control, Serato, Traktor, TouchAble

HeadrickProductions

Post by HeadrickProductions » Tue Aug 24, 2010 7:06 pm

Frederik654 wrote:I'm a Serato user for my weekly dj sets and I only play house, tech house and minimal (and not the bad, fake minimal :) ). I use Serato around 4 years now coming from a lifetime of vinyl use and I use Ableton around 6 years for my own small productions so you can guess that for me the announcement that the two would merge was like OMG 8O

However, the bridge will fail to please me, .. end of story.

It really sucks for those who play house styles with the vinyls and need to do longer mixes than 20 seconds or like to have Ableton actually DO something during a set instead of triggering some scenes and scratching to it.
I think in the long run as bug's get ironed out and computer get faster and more efficient that we will be able to use ableton just like we normally would within serato.

If not then what really is the point of having a full version of live that can't be FULLY utilized. We might as well just use a light version of live if we can't push vst's/effect and everything else in the bridge.

The bridge is in it's infancy and I'm sure has a great deal of developing to do. If memory serves that is another part to this collaboration!?!
In a K induced Haze (the old K kind not the special K kind ), but an Asian spizz can sometimes bring me out! If ya don't get it, ya never will.

Swing like your life depends on it

S4racen

Post by S4racen » Fri Aug 27, 2010 1:06 pm

Ummmm, actually quite enjoying the last hour or so now i've got it all routed how i want.....

I dont have a dj mixer, ableton is my mixer! So left deck controls tempo of ableton with right deck being serato... the audio of which is then routed back into ableton so i can effect it... No latency to my ears but the sync to feature isn't working right with this routing as i press it and everything jumps out of time....

Another downside is i'm not able to record my sets in this way as when the end of the control vinyl is reached and i want to return it to the start it returns the transport to 1.1.1, in fact any backwards movement and recording stops.... IU'll have to dig out my CD Recorder deck i think... The problem stems from bridge controlling transport and not the clips but hey it's a way i suppose and it works live so thats the point.....

Enjoying cue points and looping though for sure!!

Cheers
D

boabmatic

Post by boabmatic » Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:51 am

I'm a beta tester for serato and just purchased Ableton Suite 8...

Once I get a few of the basics down with ableton I'll be checking out The bridge...

friend_kami

Post by friend_kami » Mon Sep 13, 2010 3:03 pm

so much for that no new features until we iron out the bugs statement.
even the beta release focuses on the bridge now.

Dennis DeSantis

Post by Dennis DeSantis » Mon Sep 13, 2010 3:16 pm

friend_kami wrote:so much for that no new features until we iron out the bugs statement.
even the beta release focuses on the bridge now.
Are you finding bugs in the latest betas? Please let us know.

Thanks,