Does uploading MP3's online reduce audio quality

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Vass

Does uploading MP3's online reduce audio quality

Post by Vass » Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:37 pm

Hi,

When you convert to MP3 to upload to the net does it then alter the udio quality in the process? I find the some of my tracks that sound good even in MP3 format can strike me as having some annoying digital sounding imperfections going on?

Is this normal?

Thanks!

memes_33

Re: Does uploading MP3's online reduce audio quality

Post by memes_33 » Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:39 pm

a lot of sites make a 192kbps version for streaming, which sounds like shit, yeah.

if you download it after uploading it, does it sound the same?
Hip-Hop, Breakbeat, Glitch, IDM, Dub, & Mashups! Go to:
http://memes.bandcamp.com
http://www.soundcloud.com/memes_33

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:41 pm

.mp3 is a lossy format. So when you convert you're actually... 'damaging' the sonic integrity of your track. if you keep the bit rate high 256, 320 you should get better results (and bigger files).
LoopStationZebra wrote:it's like a hipster commie pinko manifesto. Rambling. Angry. Nearly divorced from all reality; yet strangely compelling with a ring of truth.

Vass

Post by Vass » Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:43 pm

memes_33 wrote:a lot of sites make a 192kbps version for streaming, which sounds like shit, yeah.

The sites i have them on are hosted as streaming only so i've not downloaded them again. Should i just accept this as normal then? Am i just over analysing the quality because there mine and i have a clear reference to what it should sound like in my head?

Thanks!

Vass

Post by Vass » Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:44 pm

H20nly wrote:.mp3 is a lossy format. So when you convert you're actually... 'damaging' the sonic integrity of your track. if you keep the bit rate high 256, 320 you should get better results (and bigger files).
I normally try to keep it 320 but this particular site ha an 8mb limit so that wasn't possible this time.

memes_33

Post by memes_33 » Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:53 pm

Vass wrote:
memes_33 wrote:a lot of sites make a 192kbps version for streaming, which sounds like shit, yeah.

The sites i have them on are hosted as streaming only so i've not downloaded them again. Should i just accept this as normal then? Am i just over analysing the quality because there mine and i have a clear reference to what it should sound like in my head?

Thanks!
no, your ears are not tricking you- it really does sound like shit. it has this swooshy, grainy quality in the high-hats/high frequencies, right? i would just accept it, or find another place to upload it that doesn't fuck with the file as much. out of curiosity, what site?

also, try re-uploading it. that worked for me once or twice back in the myspace days when the myspace player sounded even shittier than normal.
Hip-Hop, Breakbeat, Glitch, IDM, Dub, & Mashups! Go to:
http://memes.bandcamp.com
http://www.soundcloud.com/memes_33

Vass

Post by Vass » Fri Aug 20, 2010 11:10 pm

memes_33 wrote:
no, your ears are not tricking you- it really does sound like shit. it has this swooshy, grainy quality in the high-hats/high frequencies, right? i would just accept it, or find another place to upload it that doesn't fuck with the file as much. out of curiosity, what site?

also, try re-uploading it. that worked for me once or twice back in the myspace days when the myspace player sounded even shittier than normal.
That's it and some midrange sounds very digital (it mostly is done in the box anyway but not as glaringly obvious :lol: ) on some tracks. I've uploaded on soundcloud which for the most part seems to be ok. One track called Skyline always seems to bother me. www.soundcloud.com/vassmusic if you want to check it out.

I recently tried uploading some tracks onto facebook using an app called my band which is connected to Reverbnation. Thats the 8mb per file so i put samples up to reduce the length of the track so i could keep the MP3 at a decent quality but it still sounds crap!!

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Fri Aug 20, 2010 11:12 pm

^ you can upload the .wav to soundcloud. :wink:
LoopStationZebra wrote:it's like a hipster commie pinko manifesto. Rambling. Angry. Nearly divorced from all reality; yet strangely compelling with a ring of truth.

Vass

Post by Vass » Fri Aug 20, 2010 11:20 pm

H20nly wrote:^ you can upload the .wav to soundcloud. :wink:
I think i will. I would imagine it takes ages but worth it. Thats the main hosting place for me at the moment anyway.

Thanks!

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Fri Aug 20, 2010 11:23 pm

it takes a little while, but not near as long as it used to take to download an mp3 with dial-up :mrgreen:

Vass

Post by Vass » Fri Aug 20, 2010 11:28 pm

H20nly wrote:it takes a little while, but not near as long as it used to take to download an mp3 with dial-up :mrgreen:
Your a 'my cup's half full' kinda guy!

I'll keep that in mind when my patience is wearing thin on the upload! :lol:

trevorc

Post by trevorc » Sat Aug 21, 2010 9:39 am

soundcloud always streams at 128kbps whatever you uploaded, but if people download they get the same file format that you uploaded