Backing up on macs

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
0fps

Re: Backing up on macs

Post by 0fps » Sat Aug 21, 2010 11:47 am

Select the collect all and save menu from the File menu. It creates a subfolder inside your project with all the samples u have used.
If u use OSX, Time Machine is a very usefull tool for making backups. Set it up and forget about it then.
Live 8 Suite, MacPro@2.66 Quad/4G RAM,MacBook@2.00 DualCore/2G RAM, Motu Traveler, TC Powercore, Korg MS200R, Waldorf Blofeld, Akai APC 40, M-Audio Axiom25, Motu Digital Performer

bicarbone

Post by bicarbone » Sat Aug 21, 2010 11:50 am

"Collect and save" and Time machine are your friends. Make a complete backup of your HD before moving files or creating new folders.

Live creates project folders with the audio you recorded, consolidated and freezed. As for imported samples (i.e. external samples), they're not always included in the project folder unless you specify you want live to do so (dialog box when you save your project for the first time or the "collect and save" function).
So far I have one massive untitled project with a couple of hundred songs, lots of different versions of the same song etc. 6 months work. I have put it on a USB memory stick, and a CDRW.
Are you sure all your samples were copied on your memory stick and CDRW? I doubt it, because if you have hundreds of songs, then you must have thousands of audio files and a CDRW has only a 700 megs capacity. Thousands of samples mean probably that the size will be way over 700 megs.

Careful, careful. 6 months of work can disappear in 6 milliseconds.
|soundcloud|

MBP 2.2 GHz i7 quad 10.7.5 8GB ram | Live9suite | Reaper | Metric Halo ULN-2 + DSP | PSI A21-M active monitors | Littlepapercones passive speakers | Studer 169 analog mixer

Rave

Post by Rave » Sat Aug 21, 2010 11:52 am

Amazon has a cheap online storage service if you want to be super safe. You can never have enough backups. I am backing up to a 4th drive/ machine as I write this :) one of the drives will be left at work.

bicarbone

Post by bicarbone » Sat Aug 21, 2010 12:50 pm

You can use Time machine with just any external drive, provided its capacity is equal or -recommended- higher to your internal HD. No need to buy a time capsule!
|soundcloud|

MBP 2.2 GHz i7 quad 10.7.5 8GB ram | Live9suite | Reaper | Metric Halo ULN-2 + DSP | PSI A21-M active monitors | Littlepapercones passive speakers | Studer 169 analog mixer

bicarbone

Post by bicarbone » Sat Aug 21, 2010 12:53 pm

Nah, just the song files, and a few samples like stuff that got reversed by the looks of it.

Obviously what would make sense for completed or work in prog is to resave some as collect all, but as you say the files will be much bigger. Worth it though.
Definitely worth the hassle if you value your work :wink:
|soundcloud|

Rave

Post by Rave » Sat Aug 21, 2010 6:22 pm

Tbh I don't trust time machine. If you can clone your drive once at least u can at least test it with a Mac by booting into it. Best safe than sorry.

fatrabbit

Post by fatrabbit » Sat Aug 21, 2010 7:57 pm

How about using both Time Machine and Carbon Copy Cloner (or equivalent) to make a complete copy of your hard-drive.

steko

Post by steko » Sat Aug 21, 2010 10:27 pm

fatrabbit wrote:How about using both Time Machine and Carbon Copy Cloner (or equivalent) to make a complete copy of your hard-drive.
Yep. You should always backup to at least two different physical drives. (imagine source disk dying, or poweroutage during backup etc.) I use Carbon Copy Cloner for rotating backups & dropbox. With CCC & Time Machine you get the best of both worlds (bootable clone on CCC drive & historical archive on TimeMachine drive).

http://web.me.com/pondini/Time_Machine/FAQ.html - http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1427

http://www.bombich.com/index.html - http://daringfireball.net/2010/03/ode_t ... er_dropbox
Rahad Jackson wrote:My Awesome Mix Tape #6

steko

Post by steko » Sun Aug 22, 2010 6:39 pm

SuperDuper & CCC, for normal use = actually the same. CCC = donationware...

Avoid Western Digital externals (Apple Forum is full with problems with WD combos)!

steko

Post by steko » Mon Aug 23, 2010 3:40 pm

It's not about breaking. Problem is, some models are not bootable (only brand I know of...) & firmware issues (sleep) & preinstalled "smartware" on at least some models (afaik there's an uninstall option meanwhile).

Not sure about the "Elements". Maybe it's just fine. Firewire 800 for sure is much faster (& more expensive though -> license fees).

http://discussions.apple.com/message.js ... 7#10585357

paste this in google:
site:apple.com discussions "Western Digital Elements"
Good luck! :)

drumrak

Post by drumrak » Tue Aug 24, 2010 12:44 am

i use a iomega EGO and popmechanics said they can take a 15 foot fall and then get run over and still be alright. and it was only $100. i also have a WD and a no name. i use one as a time machine backup and the other two as gigging drives that have more or less the same stuff on them.

i cant recommend time machine enough and it workd perfectly. you can scroll through older versions of your computer by date, and i back my old macbook up and then it loaded perfectly on to my new pro. it took like 30 minutes and it was exactly the same as my old comp.

seriously, its so awesome i cant believe how well it works.

ashtonron

Post by ashtonron » Tue Aug 24, 2010 7:48 am

I use a combination of timemachine and superduper..

Superduper gives me a bootable backup. which I keep at work and update every 6 months, and time machine keeps everything in sync.

I have done a full restore using both superduper and timemachine without problems..
Ableton Suite 8, Komplete 6, Macbook + IMac, Nuforce Icon HDP, Art tubefire 8, Korg MicroKontrol + wacKMK, Oxygen 8 +++
http://soundcloud.com/ashtonron

Rave

Post by Rave » Tue Aug 24, 2010 2:15 pm

funken wrote:mail from WD

Thank you for contacting Western Digital Customer Service and Support.

If you are speaking about the external drive Elements Desktop; it is not possible to boot from a clone on these devices. None of ours external drives support the installation of a operating system on it, like Windows XP or Vista or MAC leopard etc, etc.

WD are talking utter sh*t

steko

Post by steko » Tue Aug 24, 2010 3:42 pm

nuxnamon

Post by nuxnamon » Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:00 pm

g-tech here also.. I tried another drive before but it wouldn't boot w/ superduper.. g-tech seemed alot faster when cloning and seems very durable.. in this case, a few extra dollars for a reliable bootable drive in a all aluminum enclosure which is better for gigs is worth it..