Arrangement View needs lots of work.

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
H20nly

Re: Arrangement View needs lots of work.

Post by H20nly » Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:02 pm

Cryptic UK wrote:It really is a big pile of shit isn't it.

I don't know if anyone has noticed but, the arrangement view really hasn't changed at all, since about version 3 or 4. Don't know how they can keep slipping that one past us.
^ thats because there's like 26 users, give or take a few, who aren't all about session view anyway... at least from what I've gathered on the forum. Arrange strikes me as the stepchild in the eyes of most Live users.

Personally, I use Live almost completely in Arrange view. I record in the music rather than pulling it out of the browser which is a driving factor I'm sure. If you could pull up the mixer without leaving arrange (as in a floating mixer) I wouldn't see session much ever.

I like the gooey feel of Live which is what made me switch from Cubase, but I have to agree that some tasks are way more tedious than it seems like they should be. If you don't have keyboard shortcuts memorized or sitting in front of you, fumbling around confused undo-ing the last failed attempt then trying again over and over is really not a work flow to brag about... neither is trying to figure out what that thing you're trying to do is called by scanning through the keyboard shortcuts in the manual...

+1 for Arrangement love from the Abes in the future.
LoopStationZebra wrote:it's like a hipster commie pinko manifesto. Rambling. Angry. Nearly divorced from all reality; yet strangely compelling with a ring of truth.

glenn303

Post by glenn303 » Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:22 pm

H20nly wrote:
Cryptic UK wrote:It really is a big pile of shit isn't it.

I don't know if anyone has noticed but, the arrangement view really hasn't changed at all, since about version 3 or 4. Don't know how they can keep slipping that one past us.
^ thats because there's like 26 users, give or take a few, who aren't all about session view anyway... at least from what I've gathered on the forum. Arrange strikes me as the stepchild in the eyes of most Live users.

Personally, I use Live almost completely in Arrange view. I record in the music rather than pulling it out of the browser which is a driving factor I'm sure. If you could pull up the mixer without leaving arrange (as in a floating mixer) I wouldn't see session much ever.

I like the gooey feel of Live which is what made me switch from Cubase, but I have to agree that some tasks are way more tedious than it seems like they should be. If you don't have keyboard shortcuts memorized or sitting in front of you, fumbling around confused undo-ing the last failed attempt then trying again over and over is really not a work flow to brag about... neither is trying to figure out what that thing you're trying to do is called by scanning through the keyboard shortcuts in the manual...

+1 for Arrangement love from the Abes in the future.
+1!!!

anybody human

Post by anybody human » Sat Aug 28, 2010 10:14 pm

Agree that it needs a lot of work, too much I'm afraid. It would be a huge undertaking to approximate the surface functions of something like Pro Tools though because they were designed for very different things. One is for creating, the other is for engineers and thus a lot more precise. I work in Live as much as possible. Live is by far my favorite and I can't stand working in 2 DAWs but I've just had to accept it.
If they can cover some of the basic mixing tasks like automation that would be fantastic. I'm glad you guys brought up the visual/shortkey/workflow things, it's really important. Unimaginable how much time is wasted over simple workflow issues.

su

Post by su » Sun Aug 29, 2010 12:33 am

Gotta go against the flow.

Certainly there are things that can be improved.

But I use Sonar 8.5 and Live 8. There are things I like and dislike about both. I actually prefer Live's automation in arrange over Sonar's. I find it much more efficient to work with, though curves would be nice. I also find audio editing to be much more efficient in Live. Zooming and hiding/unhiding information is imperfect in any DAW. All have their quirks in my experience.

To each his own.

heavensdaw

Post by heavensdaw » Sun Aug 29, 2010 2:06 pm

esky wrote: Also, the apc 40 red frame should apear in the arrangement window, around the track parameters, to ease navigation there.
Thanks for that esky.. thought I was the only one!

To the OP..

I agree with you 100% ...

So close and yet so far.... I do everything in Live also, and imho the Arrangement view really does need to have a update.

Hd

coax

Post by coax » Sun Aug 29, 2010 10:12 pm

I work exclusively in the arrangement view and use session view only for mixing and I have not noticed any of the issues in the topic.
I have done scoring/film work with no problems..

Jekblad

Post by Jekblad » Sun Aug 29, 2010 10:48 pm

I would love these additions to speed up workflow. The editing is sometime the least fun but most important. Let's get it over with! I like editing quite a bit and these types of things will just make me faster and happier!

if you want to select inside a clip placed on a track that is folded use "shift+option click". However not being able to see the waveform or midi notes creates a hefty mental block for me to click around willy nilly in there. I usually resize the tracks to tiny and then never collapse.

also in OSX you can natively remap keys for things like zoom, or use "ikey/autohot key" or similar to emulate this functionality. I paid 20 bucks for iKey and i use the shortcuts every single day over and over again. For example, instead of just being able to select the browser (cmd+opt B), i have shortcuts mapped to each one specifically.

opt+1 is live devices
opt+2 is file browser 1
opt+3 is file browser 2 etc...
and Opt+q is hide/show browser.

Here's my complaint: TRACK COLORS. Selecting the track makes it a different color, and some of the choices look similar to the selection color, making it difficult to see what is actually selected. I use the colors to group my channels in a way my brain understands, throw that selection color in there and i just get confused and annoyed my color scheme is ruined. the channel needs to retain its color and have a separate designation for selection.
2.4 ghz Macbook Pro 8gb RAM, SSD, Live 9 Suite, Puremagnetik, Minimal Talent

greenscreens

Post by greenscreens » Mon Aug 30, 2010 1:07 am

+1

TheRealZoltan

Post by TheRealZoltan » Mon Aug 30, 2010 1:24 am

+1
Jekblad wrote:if you want to select inside a clip placed on a track that is folded use "shift+option click". However not being able to see the waveform or midi notes creates a hefty mental block for me to click around willy nilly in there.
yes.

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Mon Aug 30, 2010 3:24 am

Honestly, if you want a great linear sequencer there are plenty of great DAWs for that.
Live has miles to go before it really matches Logic, Cubase, Digital Performer, Sonar etc. in the automation and mixing department.
It's dead easy to import your mixes into another DAW, and not a hassle at all. I for one would rather see improvements to Session View.
The reason for this is simple, no other DAW has anything close. On the other hand Cubase, Logic, Pro Tools and Digital Performer have between 18 and 25 years to develop their arrangement pages. Ableton have done a great job in about 9 years, but it's just playing catch up, and in minor cases improving on some UI concepts, not surpassing or even matching. If Live becomes another DAW they'll start releasing buggy versions out the door every time, Live 8's issues will be the norm. Not the end of the world in the studio, but how do you rely on that in a live situation?

Jekblad

Post by Jekblad » Mon Aug 30, 2010 4:06 am

Machines get ur wisdom and logical thought process out of our hate thread! Argh!
2.4 ghz Macbook Pro 8gb RAM, SSD, Live 9 Suite, Puremagnetik, Minimal Talent

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Mon Aug 30, 2010 6:15 am

Jekblad wrote:Machines get ur wisdom and logical thought process out of our hate thread! Argh!
Hey I'm good for a hate thread too! Right now I'm working on a song in the Arrangement page, and hating the fact that you can only see the clip automation for one clip at a time.
Basically I'm going to have to go to the 1/4 note beat in the Arrangement itself to get this kick to work the way I want it to, and it's not going to be pretty. :evil:

I'm waiting on an upgrade to DP7 in the mail for transferring audio over to DP to mix so while I wait I'm trying to get things as close as possible in Live. Some things are really cool in Live mixing wise, but when you want to get surgical it gets really clunky.

mholloway

Post by mholloway » Mon Aug 30, 2010 7:10 am

Machinesworking wrote: It's dead easy to import your mixes into another DAW, and not a hassle at all.

I really can't possibly imagine how you can think that. I mean, really? Okay, so let's say I flatten all my tracks and export them as stems. Now I can import into another DAW (hopefully it offers batch import) but, uh, these are song-length stems, not individual sequence pieces, so the whole concept of "arranging" it now is sort of....obsolete? Yeah. I can still mix here, but....you see what I mean.

So, I want to export individual mixed-down sequences then, so I can actually do some arrangement in that other DAW. Well, ok, I'll just select an area in arrangement, export it, select another, export it, select another, export it....hmmm. hassle free??? how exactly?

Also: If it's already existing in arrangement view in Live in the first place (such that I can then flatten stuff and export it all) this means I will have had everything laid out on two different arrangement pages: first live's in whatever form, then the other DAW. Seems....like shitty workflow to me.

If there was a VERY quick way to export scenes from SESSION view -- like some magic right-click menu command called "FREEZE+FLATTEN ALL CLIPS IN SELECTED SCENE AND THEN EXPORT SCENE AS AUDIO LOOP OF X:X LENGTH" then, YES, arranging and mixing in a second DAW would be relatively easy and hassle free for me.

But that magic command doesn't exist....yet? I've asked for it over in the Feature Request...(better yet: allow this command to apply to multiple selected scenes in session!)

i'm not sure if that command could work, because if you render (i mean, cough, freeze+flatten) one clip in a track it has to freeze+flatten the whole track, as things currently stand, but hey, keep on dreaming right?

so, really, this reply is two things 1) I think your assertion that it's easy and hassle-free is absurd and I'd love to know what it's based in, and 2) I think I have a killer idea of how to improve the situation but maybe it's just a pipe dream...

-M

-M
my industrial music made with Ableton Live (as DEAD WHEN I FOUND HER): https://deadwhenifoundher.bandcamp.com/
my dark jazz / noir music made with Ableton Live: https://michaelarthurholloway.bandcamp. ... guilt-noir

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Mon Aug 30, 2010 8:29 am

mholloway wrote: I really can't possibly imagine how you can think that. I mean, really? Okay, so let's say I flatten all my tracks and export them as stems. Now I can import into another DAW (hopefully it offers batch import) but, uh, these are song-length stems, not individual sequence pieces, so the whole concept of "arranging" it now is sort of....obsolete? Yeah. I can still mix here, but....you see what I mean.

Not impossible to arrange in another DAW as well. We have two different concepts here, composing, and mixing. Sure it's tempting and a habit to fall into to start mixing as soon as the composition has some form, but it's a PITA to start really committing to a mix when the song isn't finished, even if working in Live only. Also, this stuff isn't easy, making a loop is easy, finalizing a song and committing a mix is work.
So, I want to export individual mixed-down sequences then, so I can actually do some arrangement in that other DAW. Well, ok, I'll just select an area in arrangement, export it, select another, export it, select another, export it....hmmm. hassle free??? how exactly?
Because that's not really hard, takes about ten minutes.
Also: If it's already existing in arrangement view in Live in the first place (such that I can then flatten stuff and export it all) this means I will have had everything laid out on two different arrangement pages: first live's in whatever form, then the other DAW. Seems....like shitty workflow to me.
Audio files in another DAW are pretty cool. not a hassle at all, if you decide to write a new part, either go back to Live, or have a solution like Kore or some other way to import your sounds. I've worked this way for years with Logic as the MIDI king, and Live as the composing arena, then Logic as the mix down DAW. It's not that big of a deal, really. Better than wanting to strangle small animals like I'm feeling right now in Live's arrangement page. :evil:
If there was a VERY quick way to export scenes from SESSION view -- like some magic right-click menu command called "FREEZE+FLATTEN ALL CLIPS IN SELECTED SCENE AND THEN EXPORT SCENE AS AUDIO LOOP OF X:X LENGTH" then, YES, arranging and mixing in a second DAW would be relatively easy and hassle free for me.

But that magic command doesn't exist....yet? I've asked for it over in the Feature Request...(better yet: allow this command to apply to multiple selected scenes in session!)

i'm not sure if that command could work, because if you render (i mean, cough, freeze+flatten) one clip in a track it has to freeze+flatten the whole track, as things currently stand, but hey, keep on dreaming right?

so, really, this reply is two things 1) I think your assertion that it's easy and hassle-free is absurd and I'd love to know what it's based in, and 2) I think I have a killer idea of how to improve the situation but maybe it's just a pipe dream...
There are multiple ways to do what you want to do. Erase Arrangement, record scene into arrangement, export all audio files. Even easier than that, render all tracks as audio from the beginnings and endings of your breaks choruses etc. The main thing I think though is once you know Digital Performer or Logic etc. as well as you know Live, audio clips are as easy to mess with as in Live, regardless of length. Also most of the big DAWs allow you to cut and slice audio in their Arrange pages, with a lot more fluidity than in Live so you can arrange the audio even if it's a 4 minute rendered track. I'm all for better methods of exporting audio though, don't get me wrong, I'm just not convinced that it's worth it to stay in a single DAW if you're losing hair and sleep over it.

su

Post by su » Mon Aug 30, 2010 3:20 pm

Machinesworking wrote:I'm just not convinced that it's worth it to stay in a single DAW if you're losing hair and sleep over it.
+1

I've given up that quest. They all have their strengths and weaknesses and used together open a lot of creative possibilities IMO.