If I wanted to ease into the modular synth world...

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Kodama

Re: If I wanted to ease into the modular synth world...

Post by Kodama » Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:33 pm

Just make sure that it is deep enough for your modules, some have really deep PCB boards hanging off the back!
GO VEGAN!!! - Macbook Air, Bass Station II, Some Korg shit, Live Suite, U-He, Audio Damage, Microtonic, Ohmicide, more soft stuffs, awesome controllers, euro rack modular synth,an awesome cat.

distaudio

Post by distaudio » Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:48 pm

Well I finally got my Future Retro XS in the mail.

Went home straight away and set it up.

There is a video demo of its nastiness on my website

http://www.distaudio.com

Within 2 minutes I had a huge horrific dirty sound.

tranzfuse

Post by tranzfuse » Thu Sep 16, 2010 1:59 am

Kodama wrote:Just make sure that it is deep enough for your modules, some have really deep PCB boards hanging off the back!
Good call. I got the dimensions for the bamboo boat and it does seem to be a bit shallow. I need to compare the depths of the modules I am beginning to consider and make sure. I'm still undecided on the case. A part of me wants to buy the monorocket mission 6 case. We'll see.

Anyway, I'm still researching modules at this point, and inquiring quite a bit over at muffwiggler.com forums, but I am getting closer.
Tranzfuse.com | SoundCloud

Gear
Macbook Pro 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 GB RAM
Ableton Live 8 Suite
Akai APC40, LPD8, LPK25
MOTU Ultralite mk3
Technics 1200

tranzfuse

Post by tranzfuse » Fri Nov 05, 2010 2:49 am

Well it's been nearly two months since I asked the original question of whether the Dark Energy would be a good way to ease into the world of modular synths, and the general consensus around here was to skip the DE and go right for a modular synth.

Well, I ended up listening to that advice and spent the last two months researching, planning, buying and building my first modular synth. I've gotta say I am really quite happy with the results, I am having a blast :D . It's really the shot of inspiration I had been looking for. The research and decision making was not easy, and at a few points along the way I wished I had just bought the DE already, but I'm glad I stuck it out and got what I got. It's dope!

Some pics so far: http://www.flickr.com/photos/tranzfuse/ ... 061967547/

Synth includes: Monorocket Mission6 case, ES-1, Malekko Uncle Oscillator, Synthesis Technology e350, Bubblesound SEM20 filter, Make Noise QMMG, Make Noise Maths, Malekko Output.

I started small (but that didn't mean cheap) and plan to learn these modules pretty well before expanding. I am interfacing the modular with Ableton via a plugin suite called Silent Way, developed by Expert Sleepers. The plugin suite is really quite awesome and takes the place of a lot of what would be basic utility type modules. The Step LFO plugin is really quite cool. It took a while and some trial and error to get going with the plugin, but now I'm there and having a blast with it all.

Anyway, I just wanted to follow up and let everyone know what I ended up doing, and that I'm quite happy with the direction I chose after your gentle persuasion.

Cheers,

Adam
Tranzfuse.com | SoundCloud

Gear
Macbook Pro 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 GB RAM
Ableton Live 8 Suite
Akai APC40, LPD8, LPK25
MOTU Ultralite mk3
Technics 1200