Drum And Bass production. where do i begin?

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
beats me

Re: Drum And Bass production. where do i begin?

Post by beats me » Wed Aug 25, 2010 3:36 pm

timothyallan wrote: Step 1. Post this question in 2006
Step 2. Acquire Amen break
Step 3. Acquire NI Massive
Step 4. ?????
Step 5. Profit!!
Fixed.

stonee

Post by stonee » Wed Aug 25, 2010 3:45 pm

crofter wrote:It's all just music, some of it's good, most of it's shite, I can't tell House from a nice little bungalow with a plastic pseudo victorian conservatory on the back,but it doesn't matter what it's called as long as you like it.
crofter wrote:It's all just music, some of it's good, most of it's shite, I can't tell House from a nice little bungalow with a plastic pseudo victorian conservatory on the back,but it doesn't matter what it's called as long as you like it.

THIS

crofter

Post by crofter » Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:38 pm

THAT!
Core2 quad q660, 4gig ram, Win 7 home premium SP1.
P4 2.8 ghz, Gigabyte GA- 81E2004P, 1.5 gig ram,XP Home, SP3.
dual core pentium laptop 2 gig ram Win 8.
MOTU 8Pre,Tascam FW-1804,Zoom R16, Ableton live 8.4
Cubase 7

Arrrpirate

Post by Arrrpirate » Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:59 pm

okay well what ever it is i need some help getting the right sounds. i have a couple more defined questions. how do i get massive sounding drums, a good example of what i want is in the prodigy's invaders must die. also what are some good ways of getting sub bass and bass sounds out of live?

x0b

Post by x0b » Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:20 pm

the reason you are not getting much help is because these questions have been asked and answered a multitude of times all over the net. if you want to make drum and bass specifically, then head over to http://www.dogsonacid.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=4, where you will find more than enough info to get you started.

good luck.

OvertoneZero

Post by OvertoneZero » Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:41 pm

Dieselboy, Photek, KJ Sawka

let the flaming commence

oh also.. Squarepusher

it's true, I haven't listened to anything new in years
Last edited by OvertoneZero on Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tw1nstates

Post by tw1nstates » Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:42 pm

there a re loads of futire music dnb tutorials - i forget the dudes but they seemed quite good, lots of drum programming etc....

Look on teh eww toob...
I slipped into a daze, whilst I was there I heard the most startling music, it was at once familiar and alien, reassuring and unsettling.
https://soundcloud.com/fearoftherave

fazedup

Post by fazedup » Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:46 pm

Drum and bass is LTJ Bukem, Blame, blu mar ten, not the prodigy! And pendulum am commercial sold out crap! Is a sin to try to call prodigy and pendulum drum and bass! Photek is like the Jedi master to drum and bass! Did make me laugh though

funky shit

Post by funky shit » Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:28 am

start of with some drums, then add some bass

beats me

Post by beats me » Thu Aug 26, 2010 3:33 am

Arrrpirate wrote:okay well what ever it is i need some help getting the right sounds. i have a couple more defined questions. how do i get massive sounding drums, a good example of what i want is in the prodigy's invaders must die. also what are some good ways of getting sub bass and bass sounds out of live?
I think you're aiming a little high there. There's a reason there aren't a lot of artists that sound like Prodigy. It's not a sound you can learn and just throw together in a couple weeks, unlike most of the hit music on beatport.

But you should probably check out this video. It shows you how to recreate Smack My Bitch Up using Live. If nothing else it will show you some techniques on how to get that sound.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eU5Dn-WaElI

Arrrpirate

Post by Arrrpirate » Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:15 pm

okay. ill be even more specific with my response. is the a good drum rack for me to start building from? and is NI massive a good vst to buy. does it have good presets? because to start off ill only be working frm presets until i get my fee a bit more. thank you

x0b

Post by x0b » Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:44 pm

fazedup wrote:Drum and bass is LTJ Bukem, Blame, blu mar ten, not the prodigy! And pendulum am commercial sold out crap! Is a sin to try to call prodigy and pendulum drum and bass! Photek is like the Jedi master to drum and bass! Did make me laugh though
agreed, but only pre-2000.

v0ins315

Post by v0ins315 » Thu Aug 26, 2010 8:05 pm

Arrrpirate wrote:
Cryptic UK wrote:Who do you listen to or class as drum n bass?
pendulum, prodigy. although they are both big beat as well

1) go to dogsonacid.com
2) Make a thread asking how to create drum and bass like pendulum and prodigy.
3) Fail + Humiliation
4) /wrists
5) jump out window before dying due to loss of blood.
6) If still alive, rinse and repeat.

<3 <3
Cool Character wrote:Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
http://www.soundcloud.com/v0ins
http://www.facebook.com/v0ins

The Leveller

Post by The Leveller » Thu Aug 26, 2010 8:43 pm

Pretty sure I saw Computer Music had done a DNB special or at least a monthly MAG with a dnb focus. Go to Comp Music website and order the back issue for the DNB. It'll give you walkthroughs and a n ice lil DVD full of samples for DNB etc.

memes_33

Post by memes_33 » Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:01 pm

here's a place to start - 40 amen breaks for download http://www.rhythm-lab.com/huge-amen-breaks-collection
Hip-Hop, Breakbeat, Glitch, IDM, Dub, & Mashups! Go to:
http://memes.bandcamp.com
http://www.soundcloud.com/memes_33