Hello from Griid / Liine

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Hedroom

Hello from Griid / Liine

Post by Hedroom » Wed Aug 25, 2010 6:49 pm

I've not been active on the forums for quite a while, actually cos I've been pretty busy working on a certain clip-launcher ;)

Just wanted to let you know that I'm here, in case anyone has any feedback about Griid (we'd love to hear it) and in case anyone needs any feedback from us! (Or in case anyone fancies a coffee and a muffin).

Rave

Re: Hello from Griid / Liine

Post by Rave » Wed Aug 25, 2010 6:56 pm

Hey, nice looking app. Props for supporting the Abe scene :mrgreen:

beats me

Post by beats me » Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:07 pm

A fine product but just some constructive criticism here. The price seems a bit much compared to other apps and there's already LiveControl that launches clips and also does a lot of other Live specific tasks. There's also 3 other similar apps in the works that we're aware of, but I doubt they are going to be as expensive as Griid. The developers of TouchAble are saying their full featured Live controller app is going to have an introduction price more than $10 less than Griid.

There was a lot of buzz on here before it was released but upon release it almost became dead quiet and I think a lot of that had to do with the price.

If we were talking about comparing this to the lemur then hell yeah it's a bargain, but we're talking in comparison to other iPad apps which places it's perceived value a lot lower.

Other than that I think at minimum track faders need to be added.

beats me

Post by beats me » Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:11 pm

Rave wrote:Hey, nice looking app. Props for supporting the Abe scene :mrgreen:
Case in point. If it were cheaper I don't think Rave here would be saying "looking". He would be a user.

Care to comment Rave?

:mrgreen:

Hedroom

Post by Hedroom » Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:07 pm

Thanks for the kind words Rave! :)

Beats me. Thanks for your comments too, all this stuff is valuable feedback for us.

Obviously companies don't generally discuss their pricing and why things cost the amount they do etc on forums, but we believe that this is a fair price for a professional App and reflects the time, effort, money and energy that goes into making a product like this.

There are also a lot less iPad owners using our favourite piece of Music software than there are potential Doodlejumpers and Tap Tap Revenge players :)

kvitamin

Post by kvitamin » Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:35 pm

i tried using the free version for the iphone but couldn't get it to work, I configured the network and everything, and it would act like it linked up, but then the screen would go black and no response.

sublimelobc

Post by sublimelobc » Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:44 pm

kvitamin wrote:i tried using the free version for the iphone but couldn't get it to work, I configured the network and everything, and it would act like it linked up, but then the screen would go black and no response.
ditto here

I tried connecting using the free version both through my wifi and adhoc and had the same result.

I have connected fine with livecontrol and touchosc.

beats me

Post by beats me » Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:00 pm

Hedroom wrote:Thanks for the kind words Rave! :)

Beats me. Thanks for your comments too, all this stuff is valuable feedback for us.

Obviously companies don't generally discuss their pricing and why things cost the amount they do etc on forums, but we believe that this is a fair price for a professional App and reflects the time, effort, money and energy that goes into making a product like this.

There are also a lot less iPad owners using our favourite piece of Music software than there are potential Doodlejumpers and Tap Tap Revenge players :)

Sounds like from the other thread you guys have big plans for future development of Griid, something that probably wasn't well known. From the view of the outsider looking in you have to look at Griid and then look at the claims and videos about TouchAble.

http://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=147451

If you take other iPad apps into consideration typically developers just do bug fixes and that is the end of that, very little major changes in updates. So given that, you could probably see that initially people are going to look at Griid and then something like TouchAble and favor TouchAble because it seems to offer a lot more bang for the buck.

But in your corner your app actually exists. These guys claim to have submitted TouchAble to Apple 3 weeks ago and still nothing. :)

So it sounds like you are planning to focus on being the best and most versatile option within specific areas of Live and once you're satisfied with that you'll move on to the next area of focus?

I'll say having you participate on this forum will inspire me to get off my keyster and give it a go, probably this weekend. I've tried LiveControl, or I should say tried to try LiveControl but just getting the communication to work stable or trying to wrap my head around how to set it up and why didn't go well so I just gave up. Hopefully I'll have a better experience with Griid.

Hedroom

Post by Hedroom » Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:17 pm

sublimelobc wrote:
kvitamin wrote:i tried using the free version for the iphone but couldn't get it to work, I configured the network and everything, and it would act like it linked up, but then the screen would go black and no response.
ditto here

I tried connecting using the free version both through my wifi and adhoc and had the same result.

Hey both.

Drop us a line at support at griid.net and we can fix this one up for you :)
Last edited by Hedroom on Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hedroom

Post by Hedroom » Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:28 pm

beats me wrote:

Sounds like from the other thread you guys have big plans for future development of Griid, something that probably wasn't well known. From the view of the outsider looking in you have to look at Griid and then look at the claims and videos about TouchAble.

http://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=147451

If you take other iPad apps into consideration typically developers just do bug fixes and that is the end of that, very little major changes in updates. So given that, you could probably see that initially people are going to look at Griid and then something like TouchAble and favor TouchAble because it seems to offer a lot more bang for the buck.

But in your corner your app actually exists. These guys claim to have submitted TouchAble to Apple 3 weeks ago and still nothing. :)

So it sounds like you are planning to focus on being the best and most versatile option within specific areas of Live and once you're satisfied with that you'll move on to the next area of focus?

I'll say having you participate on this forum will inspire me to get off my keyster and give it a go, probably this weekend. I've tried LiveControl, or I should say tried to try LiveControl but just getting the communication to work stable or trying to wrap my head around how to set it up and why didn't go well so I just gave up. Hopefully I'll have a better experience with Griid.
Definitely, Griid's current incarnation is just beginning of a long journey!

But yes, you're hit our focus bang on the head. Our aim, each time, is to have a stripped down feature-set and make sure they are as useful, thought-through and playable as possible in a performance scenario.

So yeah, give it a shot and if you need any help at all - just drop us a line!

Taylor Barclay

Post by Taylor Barclay » Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:42 am

I use Griid on my iPod Touch. Or I should say, I used it once. It seemed okay.

I get the man hours put into the app, but analyzing what we already have here in LiveControl and the offerings of other possible apps like touchAble should definitely be influencing your future updates. Your app is a bit underwhelming compared to others, especially with the price tag. It may not be Tap Tap, but neither is LiveControl and all you need for that is TouchOSC (the developer of LiveControl is quite active here too.) Add to that the fact that I really want competition in the market of iDevice Ableton controllers (because competition increases quality!)

Sorry if that comes off harsh, but I'm going to use what is the best featured app for the money.

Hedroom

Post by Hedroom » Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:27 am

Hedroom wrote:
sublimelobc wrote:
ditto here

Hey both.

Drop us a line at support at griid.net and we can fix this one up for you :)
Ok, well guess who had whisky secretly poured in their breakfast cereal! :oops: Have edited our INCORRECT support email above.

The correct email for support is...
support at griid.net

glennv

Post by glennv » Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:59 pm

Although I agree that the Griid probably needs to develop a bit more to be what we all want it to be , the world of Ipad apps prices has made us a little blind i think.
I have used/owned all kinds of controllers from el cheapo but still in the 200euro+ range to a full blown mackie control , and monome and an apc40.
Together thousands of euro's .
All useless (and sold all of them) compared to the few apps of less then the price of a bread. (if you not count the Ipad itself)
Lets support the developer and stop crying.
I just bought Griid Pro this morning and already have Livecontrol + touchOSc for some customizing and will also buy (if it comes) Touchable.
Only by sending these great guys some (very little so please stop crying!!!!) of your cash we can eventualy get the dream all in one app we want.

I gamble Touchable will win the race in short term on features and general useability(definately not on layout), but just having played with Grid (they did one thing only but very good !!!) , if they hold up to the promises and add modules in the near future with a similar style and mindset , they might catch up and who knows overtake. At least with my money then can buy some cups of strong coffee while they continue the development.
BUt then again Livecontrol is very much alive as well and my main workhorse at the moment.
Maybe we can run them all together when multitasking hits the Ipad ;-) ;-)

Great work and respect to all you guys that build these wonderfull tools for us to express and stimulate our creativity

necho

Post by necho » Thu Aug 26, 2010 2:08 pm

sublimelobc wrote:
ditto here

same here
_________
sigs suck.

Hervé

Post by Hervé » Thu Aug 26, 2010 2:17 pm

App appart, interfacing in between Ipad/iphone & computer is way to complicated. Plus once installed, i have to go back again to certain settings each time i use it.