i want improvements in ableton!!!

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
ShelLuser

Re: i want improvements in ableton!!!

Post by ShelLuser » Thu Aug 26, 2010 5:13 pm

netwarrior wrote:i really want ableton to add a function so programm starts recording audio when signal comes in.
That's actually quite a nice idea IMO...

But why wait for Live 9? The future is now!

Oh man have the Abes opened up Pandora's box or what ? :twisted:

Behold: AutoRec. A Max for Live patch doing just what you suggested. This is but a first version, I think it needs a little more tuning and I need to write (better) documentation for it. But it works.

Here's how: You pull in the device and set the threshold using the dial. Now play the music (or send in audio) to test. As soon as the threshold is reached the "triggered" indicator will flash (nothing else). If that's to your satisfaction then stop the audio input (important detail!) and press the "Arm" button.

Start again. When reached it'll set the global record and start the global transport if it wasn't already.

One possible caveat (?): it checks the output levels of the master track. So your audio needs to go out of there, otherwise nothing happens.

Have fun!

('tis a M4L audio device btw)
Code removed because it was sucky ;)

Get current stuff here

PS: Sorry Ableton if I just torpedoed a possible new feature for a future release :mrgreen: Though it would have been more impressive if I actually remembered how to spell 'threshold'.. :roll: Fixed!
Last edited by ShelLuser on Sat Aug 28, 2010 3:17 am, edited 2 times in total.
With kind regards,

Peter

Using the 'Power' Trio: Live 10 Suite (+ Push & Max 8 ), Reason 10 and Maschine Mk3 (+ the ultimate Komplete 12).
Blog: SynthFan (under heavy construction!)

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:04 pm

wouldn't that have some sort of latency? effectively cutting off the beginning of anything you record?
It was as if someone shook up a 6 foot can of blood soda and suddenly popped the top.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:19 pm

netwarrior wrote:seems like) this function + some weed will make me happy enough)
+ 1 for the weed.
LoopStationZebra wrote:it's like a hipster commie pinko manifesto. Rambling. Angry. Nearly divorced from all reality; yet strangely compelling with a ring of truth.

ShelLuser

Post by ShelLuser » Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:30 pm

Johnisfaster wrote:wouldn't that have some sort of latency? effectively cutting off the beginning of anything you record?
Yes it does. This setup has been available on hardware for a few years afaik, and there is a reason why it went away.

The latency in my patch however is pretty small. And since you can set its threshold to regions where you can't even hear anything happening this is something you can overcome. But in the end you will lose some signal.
With kind regards,

Peter

Using the 'Power' Trio: Live 10 Suite (+ Push & Max 8 ), Reason 10 and Maschine Mk3 (+ the ultimate Komplete 12).

netwarrior

Post by netwarrior » Fri Aug 27, 2010 4:57 am

thsnk you for sharing your code.
i will give it a try, but as far as beeing noob in programming questions - may i ask you some directions of how to input it and how to use it ? yes i do have this MAX plugin in my ableton (version 8.1.3 which i find more stable for me).

hehe weed...there is so much warmth and organic in this word, its like perfect sound of nature combining some real aspects of human beeing:))))) Orange spice - is my answer:)

Rabalder

Post by Rabalder » Fri Aug 27, 2010 7:43 am

netwarrior wrote:megajoint for you from me
Me too????

netwarrior

Post by netwarrior » Fri Aug 27, 2010 10:34 am

good coke in norway)))))

Rabalder

Post by Rabalder » Fri Aug 27, 2010 11:33 am

...and lots of pretty ladies :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

netwarrior

Post by netwarrior » Fri Aug 27, 2010 1:32 pm

Norway, im comming )))))))))))

anybody human

Post by anybody human » Fri Aug 27, 2010 2:28 pm

I like the idea of a threshold based M4L auto record device, but you can also just map clip launch to your controller or querty keyboard and record arm the track with your global quantize set so that when you stop overdubbing the clip size is where you want it. Totally different thing obviously.

ShelLuser

Post by ShelLuser » Sat Aug 28, 2010 1:31 am

netwarrior wrote:i will give it a try, but as far as beeing noob in programming questions - may i ask you some directions of how to input it and how to use it ?
Sure you do.. But before I get to that I'd like to warn everyone who reads this not to use that previous critter. Its sucky :)

Use AutoRec2:

I'll keep this short because I don't want to "hijack" your thread because that's highly unfair. You can check for instructions on how to use this as well as the link to download the new version: here. If you have any more questions just ask 'm on that M4L thread; this thread isn't about autorec.

Thanks for the idea netwarrior, I love it! And I hope other people have fun with this too.
With kind regards,

Peter

netwarrior

Post by netwarrior » Sat Aug 28, 2010 6:31 am

you r genious:) thank you very very much, ill be testing autorec in a while and hope it will do what i expected from it!!