Are there workarounds for these two things?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
millionVALVE

Are there workarounds for these two things?

Post by millionVALVE » Wed Dec 15, 2004 4:32 pm

I'll be honest--I don't want workarounds, so is there any way to trick Live into:

1. Giving me a "standard" (as in standard in any other app) play marker that will not also make a re-start point? Sometimes I just want to play a point in a track without having "play" always re- start there. I know about the shift+spacebar play option, but a) that's invisible, and b) it's totally inconvenient.

2. Is there any way to edit without being locked into the view's quantize scale? If I'm viewing quarters or eighths (so I can see a decent swatch of the track I'm editing) can I just edit in eighths and sixteenths?

I could go digging via search, but I'm a bit pressed for time.

Appreciated in advance.

best-
.nick
Live 6.0.10, mac: dual 2.7 G5, 4G RAM, OS X 10.4.11, M-Audio Delta Audiophile 192.

peeddrroo

Post by peeddrroo » Wed Dec 15, 2004 4:38 pm

i'd say

1. no
2. no

ejectorset

Post by ejectorset » Wed Dec 15, 2004 4:58 pm

well first off you need to consider that session view is not designed for the traditional DAW approach to song writing/arranging/recording.

in the arrangement view leave the play marker at 1 (or wherever you want) and set your loop region to the other play point you would like available.

then spacebar will start the song from the play marker (you left it at 1:1:1 right?)

and ...

ctrl+spacebar (cmd+spacebar on the mac) will start from the loop selection start point which can be anywhere else in your song. This also works wether or not the loop is actually engaged for the selection area.
13" 2.0 gHz core 2 duo macbook, live 6, korg poly 800 (w/ moog slayer mod), roland rs-09, rhodes mark 1A stage piano, mattel synsonics analog drum machine

ejectorset

Post by ejectorset » Wed Dec 15, 2004 5:01 pm

note: this also works in session view, and is not invisible (although if you move the play marker in arrange view you might need to toggle with a quick press of the tab key to make sure you know where it is). Simply set your other playback point using the Loop Start/Punch-In Point near the middle on the top of your screen. It is the other area that shows position in the format bar:beat:sixteenth note
13" 2.0 gHz core 2 duo macbook, live 6, korg poly 800 (w/ moog slayer mod), roland rs-09, rhodes mark 1A stage piano, mattel synsonics analog drum machine

noisetonepause

Re: Are there workarounds for these two things?

Post by noisetonepause » Wed Dec 15, 2004 5:36 pm

millionVALVE wrote:2. Is there any way to edit without being locked into the view's quantize scale? If I'm viewing quarters or eighths (so I can see a decent swatch of the track I'm editing) can I just edit in eighths and sixteenths?
Set global quantitisation as desired and turn the grid off.

-Paws

special ed

Post by special ed » Wed Dec 15, 2004 6:32 pm

1. Giving me a "standard" (as in standard in any other app) play marker that will not also make a re-start point? Sometimes I just want to play a point in a track without having "play" always re- start there. I know about the shift+spacebar play option, but a) that's invisible, and b) it's totally inconvenient.
if you are asking what i think you are, while working in the session screen where it also shows the data for the arrangement, just move the cursor to the point that you want it to start at, click and it shows a "play" arrow. it enables you to freely work from any point in the song.