[SOS - Rescue] Gig on Saturday - Go live or not?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
IP

[SOS - Rescue] Gig on Saturday - Go live or not?

Post by IP » Sun Aug 29, 2010 9:51 am

To be honest i dont feel very comfortable to play out with live (using it only for production atm) but i have live, a mbp and a launchpad next to me and im thinking... why the F*** i bought them? i need to start one day.

First thought was to buy a DJ controller VCI/Stealth control/etc and use it with traktor or a vci-600 for an all in one solution but now i cant afford something like that, so i have to use what i have (it may be alot better at the end).

What you think? i have only 6 days to prepare my self ... (booked just 2 hours ago)

The venue has a xone 92 (im very familiar with xones as i own one too) and also im waiting an audio 2 DJ on wed.

Also i play some times in home with live just for fun (nothing organized - dropping and warping some tracks and just playing around with the mouse) and i can warp fast enough ...

Generally i need a very simple and safe setup (im afraid to dont F*** everything on stage) with a couple of tracks and some return FX hardwired to launchpad.

Recap: Available equipment: MBP / Audio 2 DJ / xone 92 / launchpad / headphones / live

Whats in my mind...

1. To warp around 50 tracks in repitch mode and to split each track into 3 clips <intro - main - outro>

2. All clips Doubled to 2 audio tracks in live (so each track to be at available at any time - dont want to move/copy clips on stage)

3. 2 outs from A2DJ -> 2 inputs in xone (to use xone's faders/EQ/Filters/CUE)

-----------------Some Extras-----------------
1. 3 effect racks to return 1 - 2 - 3 (beatrepeat - reverb - delay probably)
2. Track 1 = columns 1-4 and Track 2 = columns 4-8
3. Hardwire track 1 "send a" to launchpad's second column, "send b" to third, "send c" to fourth
4. Hardwire track 2 "send a" to launchpad's sixth column, "send b" to seventh, "send c" to eighth

So columns 1 and 4 to fire track 1 and 2 clips, columns 2+3+4 send fx for track 1, columns 6+7+8 send fx for track 2

What you think? is it the safest way for first time? :/

Also i could set up 2 hardwired returns and have 2 free columns free for dummny clips or extra custom made loops but for the first time i prefer something completely noobish.

also important: is 7.0.18 the most stable version for OSx?

0fps

Re: [SOS - Rescue] Gig on Saturday - Go live or not?

Post by 0fps » Sun Aug 29, 2010 4:30 pm

8.1.5 is really stable @10.5 and 10.6 in MacBook @ 2 Ghz

Why hardwirring LAUNCHPad and don't using its own Mixer mode/?
Live 8 Suite, MacPro@2.66 Quad/4G RAM,MacBook@2.00 DualCore/2G RAM, Motu Traveler, TC Powercore, Korg MS200R, Waldorf Blofeld, Akai APC 40, M-Audio Axiom25, Motu Digital Performer

dburns

Post by dburns » Sun Aug 29, 2010 4:54 pm

It sounds to me like you need more time to prepare. Whatever can go wrong, will go wrong at your performance. I think you'd have a better chance at success by testing, using, and troubleshooting your system at home until you are totally condfident in it, and in yourself.

Please let us know what you decide and how it goes. Good luck!

:)
Dave Burns
Lowell, MA

More equipment than skill.

IP

Post by IP » Sun Aug 29, 2010 5:38 pm

thanks ...

@dburns: ill get some cds for sure just in case ;p
i know it is not enough time but wtf ill risk it

@0fps: im thinking of it but i hate switching pages man...
if i want to add a beatrepeat lets say to the last 2bars of a clip and then to fire the next clip i have to "0" the effect / turn page / fire the next clip... so logically i will not fire the next clip on time or the effect will stop before the 2 bars :/ (if im right)

EXCEPT IF i set quantization to 4/8 bars / first fire the next clip and then change page and add the effect ... (not bad)

anyway currently warping all day and half of the tracks already done ...

If i finish the full set tomorrow (rest of warping - splitting the clips) ill hook everything to my xone and start the practice from TUE so i have 5 full days and 4 nights till SAT night !

3phase

Post by 3phase » Sun Aug 29, 2010 5:39 pm

0fps wrote:8.1.5 is really stable @10.5 and 10.6 in MacBook @ 2 Ghz

Why hardwirring LAUNCHPad and don't using its own Mixer mode/?
crashed on mine
mac book 2,16 ghz 4(3)gb ram, Os 10.62, fireface 400,

IP

Post by IP » Sun Aug 29, 2010 5:52 pm

I think 8 is evil ... no way to go out there with it

installed the latest 7 ... hope to be ok
(and all my authorizations gone btw!)

0fps

Post by 0fps » Sun Aug 29, 2010 10:40 pm

As all of as know, Live 8 is evil to some machines, with some 3rd party especially and smooth to some others. One year now with lots of gigs and lot of MIDI, audio playback and real-time streamming-routting, never gave me up.
Live 8 Suite, MacPro@2.66 Quad/4G RAM,MacBook@2.00 DualCore/2G RAM, Motu Traveler, TC Powercore, Korg MS200R, Waldorf Blofeld, Akai APC 40, M-Audio Axiom25, Motu Digital Performer

jonesonyou

Post by jonesonyou » Sun Aug 29, 2010 10:54 pm

IP wrote:I think 8 is evil ... no way to go out there with it

installed the latest 7 ... hope to be ok
(and all my authorizations gone btw!)

I have been playing out Live with v8 since November 2009. NO problems.

IP

Post by IP » Mon Aug 30, 2010 12:56 pm

Warp done and tests started! (for now with a profire)

Some more advices if you have the time ... :)

1. Now the live's cache is huge! (i know about the wav converting shit) ...
i moved the project to the mb from my pc and seems it is re-building the cache normally so far ...
is there something more i should know about that?

2. The laptops charger will be always on anyway ... even that, do you think it will be better to use an external powered usb hub for a launchpad and an A2DJ ?

3. Routing problems (seems that my first thought was wrong). track "A" goes to out 1+2 and track "B" to 3+4 (so no sound on master) but what about the return tracks?

i think it may be better to add the fx to each track's input instead of using return tracks and just map the dry/wet of each 1.

or double the return tracks and set the 3 to send to 1+2 and the other 3 to send to 3+4 (hmmm... maybe a bad idea)?

any alternative better way?

4. key mappings ... till now:

Q+W = track 1+2 selectors
A+S = track 1+2 waveform view
Z+X= track 1+2 mutes

any other ideas that will give me more flexibility?

**everything seems to be very simple so far and i feel stupid i didnt start this earlier**

kristoffer1989

Post by kristoffer1989 » Mon Aug 30, 2010 11:53 pm

my tip would be. Use a powered usbhub!
Kristoffer Lislegaard
Myspace - Soundcloud - Vimeo

IP

Post by IP » Sat Sep 04, 2010 5:49 pm

guys all ready! starting in a few hours ... just a quick 1

back-lit keys goes off some times and the strange thing is that when i press the +/- back-lit control keys nothing happens ...
it pops the same little icon like the sound's +/- control when there is an external soundcard connected... after some seconds (5-6) it will come back by itself

any ideas?
first time it happened today (2-3 times)

Rave

Post by Rave » Sat Sep 04, 2010 5:56 pm

IP wrote:guys all ready! starting in a few hours ... just a quick 1

back-lit keys goes off some times and the strange thing is that when i press the +/- back-lit control keys nothing happens ...
it pops the same little icon like the sound's +/- control when there is an external soundcard connected... after some seconds (5-6) it will come back by itself

any ideas?
first time it happened today (2-3 times)

Check your power options

re.mark

Post by re.mark » Sat Sep 04, 2010 6:01 pm

Why ask the question, you seem pretty resolute to do it regardless of some comments made here?

IP

Post by IP » Sat Sep 04, 2010 6:12 pm

asking because i dont know what is happing ...
energy saver was the first thing i checked ... all seems to be good in there and "automatically reduce brightness before display goes to sleep" is unchecked ...everything else is set to "never"

i cant think of anything else ...

(dont forget that i count less than a month with my own mac)

Edit: ohh f... me ... it was in the keyboard settings ;p noob-noob

hacktheplanet

Post by hacktheplanet » Sat Sep 04, 2010 9:42 pm

It sounds to me like you may need to rehearse your Live set and get comfortable with it before you (potentially) make a mistake in front of a bunch of people! I'm a fan of keeping things bonehead easy in a live situation, and being aware of how to address issues when they arise. If it can go wrong, it will.

What's the alternative here? Turntables?