Holy Grail- EZ arrangement editing (Copy-time) for 50 tracks

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
DDCCD

Holy Grail- EZ arrangement editing (Copy-time) for 50 tracks

Post by DDCCD » Mon Aug 30, 2010 4:23 pm

This topic and inquiry began in early 2009, and to the many users have generously contributed their thoughts, thanks.

This seems to be the best solution until copy-time becomes a feature:

"In Arrangement view set the loop to the bars you want to copy/cut/render/whatever
and click on the Loop-Brace (right name for it?)
it selects your looped bars from the very first(top) to the very last (bottom) track."

So once you have highlighted bars 20 - 22, you do a workaround - "cut-time." This places bars 20 -22 in the buffer.

Then you go to the part of the song you wish to paste to, and all tracks will be MIS-ALIGNED unless you first click curser on the top track... (so this is unlike other edit "time" functions)

Then what happens is the clips are all pasted to the other part of the song. Will it sound the same (as would be expected)? NO.

The paste function (this workaround to create copy-time) does NOT erase clips already in that part of song.

So after this "copy" arrangement attempt, copying bars 20 - 22 to 30 - 32, you now listen and the sound is a mess. Because on the tracks where there was nothing, Live fails to erase and create 'no clip' at bar 30.

Neither the Ableton manual or the Live Power books address this specific issue. Anyone up for making a video showing how to easily copy arrangement in ways that can be adapted for professionals with 50-track compositions? If this is easy or obvious-- show us please, with plenty of details. More than a year of having various users take stabs at this issue here (some of them not understanding what "arrangement editing" is, etc... but trying their best to help- thanks friends :).

In terms of progressive-minded companies, I have to ask: Is the forum administrator in contact with Ableton support experts? Alternately, just as a matter of staying in touch with the users, do Ableton employees ever take the time to learn about unaddressed forum issues-- problems encountered by music professionals?

50-track song. Easily cutting and pasting arrangement. FAST. Like in Reason, Digidesign Pro Tools and the others. Please show me. That's why I'm here typing messages to a forum, rather than making music.

Thank you.

agent314

Re: Holy Grail- EZ arrangement editing (Copy-time) for 50 tracks

Post by agent314 » Mon Aug 30, 2010 5:13 pm

I'm not sure what the problem you're having is

I've have no issues using cut-time, undo, and Paste-Time-ing all of my tracks from the clipboard into wherever I want them to go. I just need to make sure I have the top track highlighted.

It will paste over anything that's already there, or create a new clip if the spot is blank.

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Mon Aug 30, 2010 5:29 pm

why not just 'ctrl-drag' once you have them selected ?

DDCCD

Post by DDCCD » Mon Aug 30, 2010 7:31 pm

Thanks for your response.

"I've have no issues using cut-time, undo, and Paste-Time-ing all of my tracks from the clipboard into wherever I want them to go"

When you do paste part of the function, do all clips previously in that space get deleted (a they should)?

Because that is not what is happening here... If I paste 2 bars somewhere else in the song, that section should sound identical to the original section, yes? That's not what is happening here... the new "pasted" music is now a MIXTURE of what was previously there... in other words if there is nothing on track 10 when you do the copy function, the paste function will allow what is there in the new space to continue to be there. It will not erase as it should.

Where in the Ableton manual is there any discussion of copy-time, or copy-time work-arounds? I guess it is there, but I've missed it.

DDCCD

Post by DDCCD » Mon Aug 30, 2010 7:39 pm

Just to be sure, I went into Live and did a past again....if there is no information on a track, it does not erase clips that existed there before.

So doing this way, the best way, apparently, means that after each workaround pate function, I need to go thru my 50 tracks and delete the music that remained on the tracks despite the paste function.

If I am not being clear, I will produce video in my endeavor to perform a simple copy-arrangement function in Ableton Live.

What page in the manual is the copy-time workaround explained?

Thanks

agent314

Post by agent314 » Mon Aug 30, 2010 8:14 pm

Are you using the regular Paste function or Paste Time?

Paste will not overwrite existing clips with blank time, but using Paste Time, you should have a new, identical version of whatever is currently on the clipboard from performing a Cut-Time.