does ableton owe us something for a crap ver.8?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Machinesworking

Re: does ableton owe us something for a crap ver.8?

Post by Machinesworking » Mon Sep 06, 2010 7:23 pm

JuanSOLO wrote:I'm just like anyone else here. I have had my share of Ableton working like shit on version 8. I have had corrupted files, I have done clean installs, I have lost work, I have restarted my computer during performances, I have participated in recent betas and sworn them off, crash crash crash BLAH BLAH BLAH. I have even gone to a complete Reaktor Set for Live gigs at times.

But no matter what, I don't think Ableton "owes us."
You buy software for what it does right now, not what it might do in the future, but that's a hard lesson to learn, and being an ass to people who are suffering as they learn this is childish. Best part is you were stupid enough to buy 8, have suffered because of it, yet are attacking people for being upset. :P

I'm on 7, works great how are your "bugs at a higher level" treating you? :P

crumhorn

Post by crumhorn » Tue Sep 07, 2010 3:04 pm

Free Nine?
Frei? Nein!
"The banjo is the perfect instrument for the antisocial."

(Allow me to plug my guitar scale visualiser thingy - www.fretlearner.com)

casiblake

Post by casiblake » Tue Sep 07, 2010 3:23 pm

Okay...

Use the save as feature to many files: My Project 001, My Project 002, My Project 003 etc
Backup your projects.
Keep multiple versions of your racks and presets, back them up too. In fact, just keep a backup of your entire "sounds" folder: use Cobian backup or something, it's worth the trouble (and free).
If Live crashes, send a bug report.
Keep your hardware drivers up to date.

The only criticism I would have is that I feel Ableton should lower Live's price, IMHO, but otherwise I appreciate the work they've put into fixing 8. I ended up buying it, because I managed to get a good price on it. I've had crashes, I've lost a couple of things here and there. But because I maintain backups and a safe "work ethic" (FFS don't keep saving over the same project file! It's a recipe for disaster!), I've had no major losses. So I would certainly agree that 8 is not close to perfect yet, but some of the ire on this forum is little more than irate angry internet men projecting unjustified hatred, spending more time posting and not writing some bloody music.

I swore I'd stick with 7, but having moved over to suite 8 I feel it was a good decision. Operator and Analog are, frankly, excellent synths and I've had a ton of fun programming both. Proper grouping has been almost worth the upgrade price alone.

I guess the point of this post is to battle against some of the ungrateful sods on this forum. Between the Minus and Partner Instruments packs, we've been given many gigs of free content. There's no real sign of Live 9 yet, and new versions of 8 are still in the works - I've noticed the regular beta updates - so it's clear Ableton are making good on their promise and don't necessarily "owe us" any more. The more pertinent question is can they keep this up?
-- Blake Casimir : Melodic Space Techno / Electro / Ambient Galaxies --
Bandcamp Orbital Station / Soundcloud Nebula / Warp Portal Homepage