does ableton owe us something for a crap ver.8?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Machinesworking

Re: does ableton owe us something for a crap ver.8?

Post by Machinesworking » Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:13 pm

leedsquietman wrote: As for features at .2 .5 or whatever versions, many companies such as Cakewalk, MOTU and Steinberg actually do add in features. Here's some examples of what got added in Cubase since C4

4.1 - sidechaining, free routing and 50 other minor GUI or workflow tweaks
4.3 - draggable inserts
4.5 - BETA version of 64 bit Cubase

Cubase 5.5 - new sound library for Groove Agent One, vastly improved CPU efficiency on the Reverence convolution reverb, a new timestretching algorithm, improved media bay and project manager.

All of which came for free - Ableton are not only the most expensive DAW, but just about one of the only DAW companies who doesn't introduce new features at fractional points
Apple/Logic doesn't, I don't think Avid/Pro Tools can either. Publicly traded companies are subject to anti trust laws put in place here in the states after Enron assraped all those people with promises of high speed internet etc.

MOTU and DPY on the other hand! 8O

Tuner plug-in
New Custom '59 power amp models
Guitar tone presets
Track folder overview
Track folder editing
Track folder controls
Channel strip presets
Automatic addition of inserts
More plug-in presets.
New Trim tool for automation
Auto-save
Auto-check for updates
Fine-tune control
More keyboard shortcuts
Core Audio file format support
Pro Tools 8.03 compatibility

Themes

DP Control™ app
Get hands-on from your iPhone, iPad, or iPod Touch. Control DP's transports, record multiple takes, ride faders, manage your undo history, and much more, with DP Control App's unique, customized-for-DP design. Mix with both hands on your iPad while relaxing on the couch across the studio. Ultimate control never felt this good.

Live search

Right-click menus

Ableton literally have no excuse. They have to be doing better than DP what with DP being a direct competitor to Logic on Mac, and not cross platform.
Yeah I'm playing hard ball, but seriously, they can be as sweet as honey, but if other companies are offering actual honey! :)

leedsquietman

Post by leedsquietman » Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:21 pm

True. And Steinberg also had a lot more than what I mentioned in the above, they were just a few examples off the top of my head, many versions have somewhere between 20-100 changes and many of these are now features and all for free.

You could say that Logic 9.1 had 64 bit, which is a biggie for some people. It also killed anyone running Logic 9 on a G5, the earlier 9.0 32 bit version could run on some G5 models, 9.1 is Intel mac only.
http://soundcloud.com/umbriel-rising http://www.myspace.com/leedsquietmandemos Live 7.0.18 SUITE, Cubase 5.5.2], Soundforge 9, Dell XPS M1530, 2.2 Ghz C2D, 4GB, Vista Ult SP2, legit plugins a plenty, Alesis IO14.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:30 pm

is this a john gordon troll??

where'd he go? 8O

YO GORDOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!
:lol:

punk.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

john gordon

Post by john gordon » Thu Sep 02, 2010 1:27 am

im here.the last few days have been crashless.i think it has something to do NI kore2.so far so good with touchAble.

condra

Post by condra » Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:57 am

Reversoulmusic

Post by Reversoulmusic » Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:46 pm

Ah you guys.... its not the DAW its your computer and stop using cracks 8)

cotdagoo

Post by cotdagoo » Thu Sep 02, 2010 3:03 pm

Reversoulmusic wrote:Ah you guys.... its not the DAW its your computer and stop using cracks 8)
i'm pretty sure the people complaining are doing so because they bought the software and feel ripped off.. not because they got it for free and it doesn't work.

gosinisha

Post by gosinisha » Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:32 am

cubase was the buggiest piece of crap i`ve ever put my money on, steinberg will not see a euro from my pocket again, and ableton is an example how to make a bussiness (when it works i do not care how much it costs). but i think - if it does not work doesn`t matter how much it costs. i would give even double money for live, nobody has such frantic workflow, simply love it!
thinkpadT520/win7.64/studioONE2/firefaceUC/akaiMPKmini/VSTinstruments/sampleCDs

Ben_Binary

Post by Ben_Binary » Fri Sep 03, 2010 8:46 am

agent314 wrote:And I'm sure they'd be willing to refund your money and take away your license if you felt like you didn't want to use it anymore. :D
Surely not !

Reaper is making all the DAW's look pretty lame. and its free... or $60.
The midi editing is awesome. seriously.

Anyway. Ableton gotta get a M4L runtime or its just priced like a rich-boyz yuppie toy.
A smart company would find a way to utilise the experience of its long term users
rather than just taking their money.
soundcloud Live 9 & Push / Reaper / Octatrack / Rytm / MicroBrute / Nord Modular G1 & G2 / Waldorf Rack Attack / Juno 60 / Monotron & Duo / SeratoDJ / Komplete 9 / OhmForce

Slightlydelic

Post by Slightlydelic » Fri Sep 03, 2010 9:36 am

I upgraded from live-5 to live 8 suite in august last year and i feel i got a lot for my money, no complaints here what so ever and i dont feel ableton owe me anything.

Ben_Binary

Post by Ben_Binary » Fri Sep 03, 2010 9:46 am

Slightlydelic wrote:I upgraded from live-5 to live 8 suite in august last year and i feel i got a lot for my money, no complaints here what so ever and i dont feel ableton owe me anything.
Live 5 > Live 8 for the price of one upgrade is good.
and I appreciate Ableton is a business.
soundcloud Live 9 & Push / Reaper / Octatrack / Rytm / MicroBrute / Nord Modular G1 & G2 / Waldorf Rack Attack / Juno 60 / Monotron & Duo / SeratoDJ / Komplete 9 / OhmForce

Ben_Binary

Post by Ben_Binary » Fri Sep 03, 2010 10:13 am

Reversoulmusic wrote:Ah you guys.... its not the DAW its your computer and stop using cracks 8)
I have had friends producing music with cracks for ages while I have issues with the software that I have paid for and installed properly. Their cracked software is fine and your statement is simply not true. And I dont use cracks but when I do repair/optimize systems its never appears to be the 'demo' software they are using. Its usually a new update (of Daw's) or driver issues.

I dont feel that the Ableton software I have invested in is worth it anymore as they appear to be positioning themselves to make money off me rather than provide the stable innovative software that I have paid for through upgrades 5 times.

Ableton cannot say > Ableton does XYZ because M4L does that. M4L is NOT a part of LIVE.
Make a M4L runtime and then you can say that.
Until then ... shut up about M4L until its free, has a runtime or at least has an edu price.

Ableton is in big trouble if they dont give something back to the people who have supported them for years and years. NI have learned the error of their ways. When people ask you what to buy > I cant risk my reputation and simply say "ableton live" anymore. These days its "get Reaper" and I know they can afford it and they'll be happy.

TheRealZoltan

Post by TheRealZoltan » Fri Sep 03, 2010 12:15 pm

does ableton owe us something for a crap ver.8?
auto-lock wrote:i think ableton owes us something for share, i bought 8 for share... how fucking stupid is that!!!
share was/is included in the price,, or am I wrong?

if so that means that they do owe us something.
better question would be what?

Ben_Binary

Post by Ben_Binary » Fri Sep 03, 2010 5:10 pm

For the record... Ableton doesn't owe us for crap stability in L8.
They are building something and I appreciate that they are working on it.

Its the lack of support and penny pinching marketing LIES that have changed my opinion of them. They have a choice about what they charge and what they promise.

APC40 support and M4L runtime. simple.

AceLuby

Post by AceLuby » Fri Sep 03, 2010 5:21 pm

Ben_Binary wrote:For the record... Ableton doesn't owe us for crap stability in L8.
They are building something and I appreciate that they are working on it.

Its the lack of support and penny pinching marketing LIES that have changed my opinion of them. They have a choice about what they charge and what they promise.

APC40 support and M4L runtime. simple.
APC40 support?
levimoniz wrote:yes i'm a hypocrite and not intelligent