It's Groovy in the Pool, man!

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Piplodocus

It's Groovy in the Pool, man!

Post by Piplodocus » Wed Sep 01, 2010 3:43 pm

Tell me about grooves and how you use them. It was one of the reasons I upgraded to L8 a year ago (or whenever it was) but haven't really used them.

What parts do you use them on? Do you split out chains and apply it to only certain parts of the kit? What are your most used grooves? How do you edit them, and what tips you have? Do you use them mostly for timing or velocity or both? The manual isn't the most involved in this section so it's not massively clear.

Most of my tunes are pretty straight funk feel, but some with more swingy grooves. The groove pool only seems to make my swingier tunes sound more wrong! I currently write all the kit velocities by hand. If I can get the grooves really working for me by accenting the right beats, and adding the right amount of swing/laid back feel it could save me a lots of time and generally improve my drum parts that don't sit quite right! I'm interested in using on all instruments, but especially drums since I often program drums but have mostly live parts (guitar/bass/etc or recording keyboard parts live unquantised, then fixing them with a mouse!).
Live relevant things: Suite 12, MacBook M1 Max, RME UFX II (kext drivers), Push 1

v0ins315

Re: It's Groovy in the Pool, man!

Post by v0ins315 » Wed Sep 01, 2010 3:59 pm

Cool Character wrote:Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
http://www.soundcloud.com/v0ins
http://www.facebook.com/v0ins

Piplodocus

Post by Piplodocus » Wed Sep 01, 2010 8:13 pm

Yep, that's the kind of sound I'm going for! 8)

And what kinda macro control do you assign to that?
Live relevant things: Suite 12, MacBook M1 Max, RME UFX II (kext drivers), Push 1

v0ins315

Post by v0ins315 » Thu Sep 02, 2010 6:21 pm

Piplodocus wrote:Yep, that's the kind of sound I'm going for! 8)

And what kinda macro control do you assign to that?

I tried assigning macros to a toothbrush/toothpaste combo. Couldn't figure it out tho, so I drank some tea.
Cool Character wrote:Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
http://www.soundcloud.com/v0ins
http://www.facebook.com/v0ins

Piplodocus

Post by Piplodocus » Fri Sep 03, 2010 9:24 am

Why do I get the feeling nothing good is gonna come of using an entertaining thread title? :oops:

anybody human

Post by anybody human » Fri Sep 03, 2010 1:19 pm

I mostly use them to line up different parts, using the extract groove on something I've played or programmed. Helps with phase cancellation or just getting the "feel" right on both parts. I only use timing, it sounds like you obsess over velocity as much as I do :) When you've got a pattern you like and you worked hard on the timing, why not extract the groove for use elsewhere?

OT: One thing I really like is quantizing to a percentage. Whenever I play something in on my Triggerfinger or midi keyboard, I'll select the loop brace and hit command A to select all, then hit shift command U and choose the percentage (usually 66% and I do it twice for drums). This usually maintains my timing/slop but tightens things up. For one drum or midi note like playing in hi hats, I select that note in the piano roll to select all of them. You can just select certain notes by circling them with the mouse or select one and then hold down shift while selecting others. I still draw in beats too and move midi notes around to get the timing right. In this case, I've found it handy to use command 4 to turn the grid on/off or just select the note then hold down the command key to override the grid while you move it around.

Sorry to be so specific, just trying to be helpful in case someone is new to this stuff.

anybody human

Post by anybody human » Fri Sep 03, 2010 1:22 pm

There's a Dennis DeSantis video on CDM about using and misusing groove extraction.

http://createdigitalmusic.com/2009/04/1 ... xtraction/

AT~GC

Post by AT~GC » Tue Oct 05, 2010 6:07 am

Record a drum part into the looper by hand(not arpeggiated or quantized- off the beat a bit). Drag into a new audio track, and apply a groove(16ths@15-20% quantize or random). Set the warp mode to repitch, and the quantization will add subtle, per-note pitch-shifting in addition to tightening up the timing(you have to "commit" the groove to hear the effect, for some reason). Great way to soften up a too-perfect sounding loop and add some movement. An organic(non-lfo based) chorus effect.

tw1nstates

Post by tw1nstates » Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:34 am

Interesting,

I thought that you didn't have to 'commit' the groove? I am sure that applying it works, but that committing it actually moves the notes visually...

or have I gone mental?
I slipped into a daze, whilst I was there I heard the most startling music, it was at once familiar and alien, reassuring and unsettling.
https://soundcloud.com/fearoftherave

timothyallan

Post by timothyallan » Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:35 am

When are you going to update your signature picture to include your new laptop??

;)

3phase

Post by 3phase » Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:57 pm

it´s very easy..remove all transient markers set by the program.. do them all by hand again by settig them at the transients..or a defined offset before them.. wish is difficult because ableton units are elastic too....

and than apply a groove...

the whole thing however works on midi files as grovvetemplate applied to midi files...

just cant use any audio material as groove refference without doing the transient markers by hand..

however ..the result is sometimes worth the hazzle..you just wonder why your mighty computer cant seperate/realize a transient when it jumps into your eye or why the program is totally blind for negativ transients..

a special groove extraction transient finder automation would be nice and would create more of a 21th century feeling here..
mac book 2,16 ghz 4(3)gb ram, Os 10.62, fireface 400,