Mac just as good as any other PC when run windows 7 on it ?

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
Manestra

Mac just as good as any other PC when run windows 7 on it ?

Post by Manestra » Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:23 am

Hi all

I'm looking for a new laptop. Actually I'm working with a HP-laptop (pavillion) and Vista.
Now I'm looking for a new laptop to run Live on it.

I'm not sure if I should buy a Macbook Pro and then run Windwos 7 on it to use Live and all my plug-ins.

Reason for that: Live and all VST-plug-ins I have are for PC.
If I would change to OS I have to buy everything again - and I'm not sure if VST plug-ins work on OS. :?:

My question: are the advantages of a Mac in comparison to a PC still there when I use Windows on the Mac instead of OS, and then run Live?

The question is always with respect of using the Mac only for Ableton Live + several plugs - not for e-mailing, internet, etc. Only for making music.

Or is the mac just as good as any other PC when I run windows 7 on it to make music - and it makes no difference which mac or PC?

Any answers and thougths are welcome :)

Thanks

crofter

Re: Mac just as good as any other PC when run windows 7 on it ?

Post by crofter » Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:10 am

Forget mac and just buy another PC laptop.
Core2 quad q660, 4gig ram, Win 7 home premium SP1.
P4 2.8 ghz, Gigabyte GA- 81E2004P, 1.5 gig ram,XP Home, SP3.
dual core pentium laptop 2 gig ram Win 8.
MOTU 8Pre,Tascam FW-1804,Zoom R16, Ableton live 8.4
Cubase 7

Akshara

Post by Akshara » Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:57 am

I'm not sure if I should buy a Macbook Pro and then run Windwos 7 on it...
Unless you have a desire to become a member of the Apple universe, I would recommend investing in a top of the line PC laptop instead.
My question: are the advantages of a Mac in comparison to a PC still there when I use Windows on the Mac instead of OS, and then run Live?
Hardware-wise and technically speaking, yes. However the true advantages of a Mac are not fully realized unless one is running OS X or using it within a network of other Apple devices.
Last edited by Akshara on Tue Sep 07, 2010 1:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Manestra

Post by Manestra » Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:58 am

any further comments about the reason why?

A similar PC machine has more or less the same price.

Akshara

Post by Akshara » Tue Sep 07, 2010 12:16 pm

Some practical differences:

1) The built-in hardware requires using Apple's Bootcamp drivers, rather than being able to install the manufacturer's drivers.

2) All Windows drive management and cloning must happen on the OS X side with OS X applications, due to the EFI boot loader and the GUID partition setup.

3) Micromanaging data between HFS+, NTFS and FAT32 drives for the two operating systems can become complicated.

4) Windows can not be installed on a secondary or external drive; and Bootcamp can only create two partitions, OS X and Windows.

You may get more detailed responses over at the Apple Discussions Bootcamp forum.

http://discussions.apple.com/category.j ... goryID=237
Last edited by Akshara on Tue Sep 07, 2010 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Manestra

Post by Manestra » Tue Sep 07, 2010 12:22 pm

Akshara wrote:
Just to explain: I don't want a discussion: "Apple is cool - PC is crap".
I know the advantages in handling a mac and their programms, and the disadvantages (price, no alternative products).

What I want to know is more from a side of crashing/power/resource/speed/memory.

When I work with Live I just start the laptop and click on the ableton logo to start. Same if I would use a mac+OS.
So the argument "easy to use, etc" is not relevant for me in that decission. Or I don't see the advantage of a mac+OS when working with Live.

It's more a question of how much, let's say, "power" do I have in the work with Ableton Live when I use a Mac+windows in relation of PC+windows or Mac+OS.
Just in respect of the work with Ableton Live.

I'm not talking about all the other nice software tools apple has - I don't need them when i work with Live...it's really just a question for the daily work with Live.

Manestra

Post by Manestra » Tue Sep 07, 2010 12:24 pm

Akshara wrote:Some practical differences...
That's the kind of answer's was looking for.
Thanks.

Akshara

Post by Akshara » Tue Sep 07, 2010 12:26 pm

When I work with Live I just start the laptop and click on the ableton logo to start. Same if I would use a mac+OS.
So the argument "easy to use, etc" is not relevant for me in that decission. Or I don't see the advantage of a mac+OS when working with Live.
Then you will be paying a premium for something that you don't really care about, when their are better pure Windows 7 alternatives.

jxsbebop

Post by jxsbebop » Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:02 pm

One thing that annoys me about Windows for DAW use is Windows has a limitation of how many USB devices it can see, so if you connect a lot of different devices like I do, you'll have to go to the registry to clear those entries out. Same thing with MIDI devices.

I'm not aware of Mac of having this problem.

Personally, I use both. I've come to the conclusion that it mainly comes down to the software you're using. If you're on Windows you'll have to do some tweaking unless you buy it from one of the DAW PC makers. Mac usually requires less tweaking to get it working properly.

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:56 pm

I think the os and the design (if you like it :x )..
are what makes a mac so great (for a large group of people)
so getting one and running win7 on it is pretty useless.. I suppose..
unless you're really into the design .. :x
it doesn't have any extra magic cpu powers
(as some users in this forum will have you believe)

so yes..
if you need to run win7, a macbook is just as good as any other pc..
:lol:
only more expensive..

stonee

Post by stonee » Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:10 pm

3dot... wrote:I think the os and the design (if you like it :x )..
are what makes a mac so great (for a large group of people)
so getting one and running win7 on it is pretty useless.. I suppose..
unless you're really into the design .. :x
it doesn't have any extra magic cpu powers
(as some users in this forum will have you believe)

so yes..
if you need to run win7, a macbook is just as good as any other pc..
:lol:
only more expensive..
yeah.

while macs are really nice computers, they are designed from the ground up to run OSX. so, basically mac+osx= super stable, efficient system.

if you have no desire for osx, get a pc with really good specs.

that said, windows ran really well on my mac.

slirak

Post by slirak » Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:50 pm

There are basically three things that (may!) make a Mac better a better choice than a Windows PC:

* OS X. (That's not to say that Apple's OS's are always better than Microsoft's, for all tasks, or at any given point in history.)
* The OS and the hardware comes from the same manufacturer.
* The design. Both when it comes to the exterior and the choice of hardware. Again, that's not to say that Apple's design is always the best. But it's usually in the range between good and great.

So, out of these three things, only one is still valid if you run Windows on a Mac (the design). And then there's the points Akshara made.
So IMHO, if Windows is your OS of choice, don't get a Mac.

That said, if you do like OS X, almost every commercial VST is available for OS X and you can usually get the OS X version for free if you already own the Windows version. Me, I switched to a Mac a couple of years ago and only had to sacrifice a couple of free VST's. And I gained a couple of free AU's and Mac only VST's.
L8.1.4 Suite, MBP Unibody 2.4 GHZ 4GB OS X 10.6.4, Apogee One, Akai LPK25, Novation Nocturn, Korg Legacy w/MS20i controller, ComboSister, Moog Modular V, Oddity, Amplitube, T-Racks, CSR, Roland TD-12, guitars and basses and whatever...

starving student

Post by starving student » Wed Sep 08, 2010 1:31 am

get a mac,

1.they look cooler than PCs so when you're writing music on one it will be more inspiring than writing on a pc,

2.definitely put windows on it, windows runs great on a mac, also the benefits of
being able to work in both osx and windows will grow with time for instance you might want to run logic on a plug-in intensive song, or maybe use some other app that only runs on one platform or the other.

3. macs run on intel, this means that they are actually just better looking PCs that let you run the mac os. make sure at least one of your external drives is format fat 32 and both windows and your mac os will be able to access those files, which you will like. I prefer to watch dvds and use itunes
as a stereo on the mac side of my macbook, I use windows for music making.

4. windows will run faster than the mac os on the macbook, it's a win win

5. don't believe it when you hear that macs are designed from the ground up with the operating system
remember they have intel inside and the same people that make macbooks make PCs

Manestra

Post by Manestra » Wed Sep 08, 2010 7:44 am

good arguments - beside design (don't know why, but I don't like the design of apple products...).

the only design-arguments for me would be that they have an aluminium case - but I've seen there are also pc manufacturers with alu-cases and that the fan who blows out the warm air is on the backside and blows the hot air up - not under the laptop, as my actual HP does (if he's on a glas table you could fry eggs after 10 minutes on the table... :? )

Would be a hard decision for me - but now I have more input.

Thanks to all of you :D