Abletons Unprofessional Authorisation system-Online/Offline

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Tone Deft

Re: Abletons Unprofessional Authorisation system-Online/Offline

Post by Tone Deft » Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:57 pm

LOL for real...

he's tough on the outside but onside he really is quite emotional.

FWIW this amateur just ordered a new PC as I wait for it to arrive on the 20th I'll send Ableton an e-mail asking for more registrations. I don't know if I'm at my limit but that's my amateur plan.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:07 pm

Tone Deft wrote:LOL for real...

FWIW this amateur just ordered a new PC as I wait for it to arrive on the 20th I'll send Ableton an e-mail asking for more registrations. I don't know if I'm at my limit but that's my amateur plan.
Pffft! People working to deadlines don't have time for this type of preparation.
Unsound Designer

tw1nstates

Post by tw1nstates » Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:09 pm

real pro's don't use ableton anyway, everhybodyz knoz proz use pro toolz.

That's why it's called pro toolz, cos ittz pro.
I slipped into a daze, whilst I was there I heard the most startling music, it was at once familiar and alien, reassuring and unsettling.
https://soundcloud.com/fearoftherave

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:19 pm

stringtapper wrote:

Pffft! People working to deadlines don't have time for this type of preparation.
tell me about it. we're supposed to ship a project first of the year. my new work machine came in last week and there's no way I'd have the time to install the suite of Mentor Graphics CAD tools. so Engineering Services is doing it for me, it will take them until Monday.

oh well, I'm sitting on the sun @SF Civic Center waiting for jury duty. No popcorn allowed inside.
In my life
Why do I smile
-Moz

dum

Post by dum » Thu Sep 09, 2010 11:26 pm

Sherlock Holmes wrote:rant.
No shit sherlock!

But there is also the opportunity to clear something up re: offline authorisation.

But ya, given that I'm ranting, you must surely assume I'm running a pirated copy given your previous nonsensical observations on that topic.

mihai wrote:either way i always assumed that the software scans for something more consistent than an hdd, like the motherboard id no. or something, in order to render itself as "used" but of course i could be completely off. hope whatever problems you're having end up working out fast though. best of luck.
it doesn't.
fisto wrote:Well, its clearly a fault from ableton's side. I've used up all my autz on one machine, because i changed some settings and new hardware. It's funnyto start up your computer after some tuning/upgrading and find your copy of of live in demO-mode. Really really bad!
It would also be in the abes interest to tie the aut-system to the motherboard, to keep better control of authorizations.
Just my add.
Cheers
exactly!
cotdagoo wrote:however there's always the issues you can't schedule - and i think that's a big part about what this thread is attempting to address.

i've had both a onboard video card die, had a pci network card die at random and it's been a pretty simple process to remedy as i've got spare parts from over the years. but again, this is only part of the problem when you take ableton live into account.

i can replace my faulty hardware, disable broken onboard devices through the bios and have a perfectly working system. it's only when i launch ableton that it becomes an issue, and i have to take the time to either get an internet connection established (which i really don't want on my main DAW) or email support and ask for another unlock if i've met my limit, which again leaves the easiest method for authorization being an internet connection after i've got an additional unlock.

none of my plugins ever require this, nor any other software installed on my system unless the registry entries which stored the registration data were removed/corrupted for some reason (hasn't happened yet).

like i said, i haven't had any 'real' issues.. but at the same time i can clearly see the problems at hand for someone who is working on a deadline or time sensitive material and has something horrible happen where they have to replace a piece of hardware at an inopportune time for ableton to supply extra unlocks - (ie: over the weekend).

just seems odd when you never run into this sort of problem with any other software. would make a lot more sense (to me at least) to use something like a hardware id that's tied to the motherboard (something that most users won't swap out or replace in their computer's lifetime). then if your hardware does crap out, you don't have to spend the time explaining your situation, and asking for another unlock.

edit: if you haven't ever had to ask for more unlocks/authorizations imo your opinion is worthless on this subject.
agreed. In this case there was no planning, LIVE and solely LIVE corrupted it's copy protection out of the blue. Not what I'm complaining about, although it's certainly one experience that helps shape my opinions on the current auth system.
Tone Deft wrote::lol: another Pros only thread.

Best of luck with the rant! :D. Kill Kill Kill!!!
It's not a pros only thread, it's for folks who work to deadlines.
That you don't see the distinction between the two speaks VOLUMES.
Or was it because I use the word hobbyists ? either way you're wearing your heart on your sleeve chump.
crofter wrote: A real pro would have a backup system so it wouldn't be a problem, I have and I'm only a fucking amateur.
Hi,
You said ableton were generous with their auths earlier. You never got around to defining generous, probably because you know 'generous' isn't what they are.

I have a backup system btw, thanks for your concern.

Troll...
I talk about deadlines and you get real defensive about that. Calling Freud, come in Freud.

stringtapper wrote: Pffft! People working to deadlines don't have time for this type of preparation.
Oh look, they come in packs.

Where'd you get your crystal ball ? Let me know, so next time I'll email Ableton well in advance of LIVE corrupting it's protection scheme out of the blue.

Besides, I have a backup. That doesn't make the current auth system any better. Am I grieving here about what happened to me ? Nope. Just saying the current system is a load of shit.

And it is. That's why none of you jagoffs have yet made any kind of argument to the contrary.

Tone Deft wrote: tell me about it. we're supposed to ship a project first of the year. my new work machine came in last week and there's no way I'd have the time to install the suite of Mentor Graphics CAD tools. so Engineering Services is doing it for me, it will take them until Monday.

oh well, I'm sitting on the sun @SF Civic Center waiting for jury duty. No popcorn allowed inside.

*yawn*

You're a nob man. Same shit, different day. You do this shit all the time, troll a thread and then engage in some breezy off-topic exchange with one of your trolling cohorts.
If it's not that, it's the monday blues. If you're going to troll try and mix it up a bit.

Fanboys: lowering standards since 2001
Pasha wrote:Thanks dum for being so precise.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:12 am

you really have to lighten up. you try to read my posts like they're tea leaves. creepy. so much hate, poor child. poor emotional Professional Child. I am in the midst of some re-registers at home and at work, that's all you can write?

nobody's reading this thread to learn about Live Registration. they're reading it to watch you fight with people. we're posting in it to watch you react. thanks for the LOLZ and another witty nickname.

it is possible to complain without being shitty about it. a lot of people stop reading threads when it's author turns to be a douche. you're doing your cause wrong because you can't control yourself.
In my life
Why do I smile
-Moz

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:25 am

Threads where people complain about the authorization method Ableton uses always go south, whether dum starts them or not.
I have yet to see one fully civilized thread about it. :|

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:31 am

BTW yeah, their system is weird, the key is to always ask for a replacement authorization every time you use one on a new computer, OS, anything really.
I'm cheating though, I learned to do that because I was proving to some chump once that defragged clean instals without other languages etc. do not give your computer more CPU power or noticeable track count increases in OSX. Guy worked for a reputable music rag even... In the process it dawned on me to safe rather than sorry. Also, logic board authorizations can be a pita if your logic board dies, no purely awesome copy protection scheme exists beyond the weakest protection there is, a simple serial number.

dum

Post by dum » Fri Sep 10, 2010 1:00 am

Sherlock wrote: Bottom line; copy protection will always suck for licensed users, one way or the other. Still, out of all I've seen and experienced so far I think Live's is one of the more flexible ones out there. No doubt this is because Live is also focusing itself on live usage on gigs and such.
nonsense.

I already described a better system, a challenge code that's generated via the motherboard. Plenty of audio apps I use employ this system. It's a comparatively brilliant system. Simple, sensible, considerate, accessible 24/7.

Have any of you even tried the offline mode ? it's just as fast as the online mode.
you go to http://www.ableton.com/unlock and it generates a response txt file immediately.

Their whole system can stay the way it is, conceptually, all they need to do is use the motherboard as a constant in the equation and generate the challenge from that. They choose not to It's a load of balls.

Troll Deft, you don't have anything to contribute here so just fuck off or offer an argument one way or the other. No one takes you seriously since you trolled everyone complaining about Live8 crashes, and 'coincidentally' only reported experiencing a crash after the 'quality' statement. You have zero credibility.

dum

Post by dum » Fri Sep 10, 2010 1:30 am

Machinesworking wrote:Also, logic board authorizations can be a pita if your logic board dies, no purely awesome copy protection scheme exists beyond the weakest protection there is, a simple serial number.

seriously ?
I mean, ....seriously ?

What will you come out with next ? "Life can be a pita if you get a brain haemorrhage" ?

Of all the fuckin maintenance scenarios that might thwart a copy-protection scheme, replacing a motherboard/logic board HAS to be the least frequent one.

Kill yourself.

dum

Post by dum » Fri Sep 10, 2010 1:38 am

ShelLuser wrote:
dum wrote:I already described a better system, a challenge code that's generated via the motherboard.
Sorry dude, I stopped taking you seriously a long time ago.

You have complains about a certain copy right scheme but can't be arsed to give the offline mode a try yourself? Puhlease.
English isn't your strong point. I have used the offline mode. I asked if any of YOU have used it.
ShelLuser wrote: In your first post you said (quote:) "I use other software that employs a system similar to abletons, but any time I've had to request another auth I got a speedy 'no problem'". Of course without sharing what kind of software. Would be nice to be able and compare the warez availability of software X in comparison to that of Live. In fact; it would benefit a serious discussion a lot to actually have something to comment on but of course that's not the intent here.
Audio applications. What else ? I'm hardly talking about microsoft word.
If you wanted to know what other applications, you only had to ask. Obviously your intent here is simply to be contrary to me. I'm criticising Ableton afterall.
ShelLuser wrote: Yeah, when other people give examples like that (even when they're bloody obvious) you want them to spell it out for you; can't be bothered to check stuff out yourself so it seems. Yet when you try to make a point it becomes perfectly acceptable to use smoke screens.
huh ?
ShelLuser wrote: Dude; trolling is boring. Its like Tone said; people stop taking you seriously and you only start getting snobby responses to provoke a reaction. Yeah; I did as well in this thread at first (and had a good laugh too, but alas). Maybe stuff like that floats your boat, I dunno, but its sure a waste of potential. You can do better than that. Try to take things a little more serious for a change.
You had a laugh ? about copy protection ? Really ? sad.

None of you jagoffs came in here to offer a counter argument. You have none.
The thread was completely on topic until troll deft started and the rest of you joined him.

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Fri Sep 10, 2010 1:57 am

dum wrote:
Machinesworking wrote:Also, logic board authorizations can be a pita if your logic board dies, no purely awesome copy protection scheme exists beyond the weakest protection there is, a simple serial number.

seriously ?
I mean, ....seriously ?

What will you come out with next ? "Life can be a pita if you get a brain haemorrhage" ?

Of all the fuckin maintenance scenarios that might thwart a copy-protection scheme, replacing a motherboard/logic board HAS to be the least frequent one.

Kill yourself.
You also seem oblivious to the fact that yes, an error/bug/glitch can de-authorise your machine by simply corrupting the relevant system file. You're oblivious to that fact because it hasn't happened to you. That does not mean it's impossible. Asserting the authorisation system is fine because you haven't encountered that bug yourself = not that clever.
Nope dumb shit, you're implied scenario has to be the least frequent, in fact if it's happened to you and you weren't just using it as a way to argue with somebody, it's the first fucking time I've ever heard of it happening on OSX. I've never had my system hard drive die on me, or PACE corrupt itself, or a dongle go bad, but I've had two logic boards die on me. I sure as fuck have never had my authorizations corrupted in OSX, ever, at least without it being user error. ( Almost deuthorized NI kit by trashing preferences, didn't know they used them for authorization, but putting them back fixed the issue. )

Now stop acting like everyone is out to get you, and come out with how you managed to have your authorization destroyed in OSX, was it hardware or software related?
Otherwise, arguing for a different authorization scheme without doing more than implying why the one in place sucks, is circular.

slicedbread

Post by slicedbread » Fri Sep 10, 2010 2:00 am

this just bit me this week. luckily it was during the week and customer service "granted" me 2 additional unlocks the next day. if it happened on a weekend i had planned to make music i'd be a bit more pissed.

i am however upset that i am at the whim and mercy of the company to install software i purchased. what happens if (heaven forbid) the company goes under? or gets bought by another company who dissolves this product line? or i decide to move to a cave and make beats off the grid?

tying the unlocks to hardware would be better, but still you'd have the same problems. i've upgraded my main pc 3 times in the last year and a half. my music machines are constantly being modded and wiped/reinstalled to trim the fat.

i also understand they have to do something to protect their ip. i just wish it was something that allowed me to install my software without waiting for their intervention and good will to "grant" me an install. maybe an automated number to call to get a unique challenge/response unlock code.

dum

Post by dum » Fri Sep 10, 2010 2:01 am

ShelLuser wrote:Hope you had fun, this is very possibly the last serious comment I'm writing to any of your posts.
Hope I had fun ?
You're the one trolling in here - supposedly for laughs.

Besides, don't make promises you have no intention of keeping.

Before your smug comments in this thread, you had made smug comments in another thread just a day or so ago.... you were suggesting a guy was using a pirated version of ableton live because in his query he said he was using live 7.0.9

You were quick to come to such conclusions, despite the fact his post was from 2008. That sums you up.

dum

Post by dum » Fri Sep 10, 2010 2:09 am

Machinesworking wrote:
dum wrote:

seriously ?
I mean, ....seriously ?

Kill yourself.
You also seem oblivious to the fact that yes, an error/bug/glitch can de-authorise your machine by simply corrupting the relevant system file. You're oblivious to that fact because it hasn't happened to you. That does not mean it's impossible. Asserting the authorisation system is fine because you haven't encountered that bug yourself = not that clever.
Nope dumb shit, you're implied scenario has to be the least frequent, in fact if it's happened to you and you weren't just using it as a way to argue with somebody, it's the first fucking time I've ever heard of it happening on OSX. I've never had my system hard drive die on me, or PACE corrupt itself, or a dongle go bad, but I've had two logic boards die on me. I sure as fuck have never had my authorizations corrupted in OSX, ever, at least without it being user error. ( Almost deuthorized NI kit by trashing preferences, didn't know they used them for authorization, but putting them back fixed the issue. )

Now stop acting like everyone is out to get you, and come out with how you managed to have your authorization destroyed in OSX, was it hardware or software related?
Otherwise, arguing for a different authorization scheme without doing more than implying why the one in place sucks, is circular.
Picking quotes out of context ?
That quote was in response to this:
mihai wrote:i've actually never had authorization issues with ableton live. i'm on v. 7 and i've gone through hdd and os changes on the same computer and never an issue, once it authorized it authorized. of course i've had to authorize after each change but only once and i have done so online.
You're implying I'm making comments for the sake of arguing now ? Just because I called you out for making a tedious, inane comment regarding motherboards ? Motherboards needing replacement is the least frequent maintenance scenario. Period. You want to start insinuating user error if my authorisation corrupted ? The same insinuation can be made about your logic boards, learn to look after your laptops dipshit.

Leave the discussion, you've deposited your nuggets of wisdom. at this stage even tone deft is less of a douche.