How can I make Whoosh/Windy FX sound using Ableton Live 8?

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
pokeyoats

How can I make Whoosh/Windy FX sound using Ableton Live 8?

Post by pokeyoats » Wed Sep 08, 2010 3:02 pm

Hi all,

I am currently a proud owner of Ableton Live 8 (not Suite) and I have made such progress in the production and composition of Electronic Dance Music but I find myself with a lack of effects and build-ups that are prevalent in EDM.

I have some Windy FX but they are relatively short and I've tried to warp them but have had ...odd results.

So, I was wondering, can I generate this whooshing sound myself using just Live 8.

In the car on the way into work this morning I had the idea of dragging the windy FX into simpler, setting it to loop quickly around the beginning with some extra reverb and then using the pitch bend wheel to make it ascend or descend.

Any other, or easier suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

jonesonyou

Re: How can I make Whoosh/Windy FX sound using Ableton Live 8?

Post by jonesonyou » Wed Sep 08, 2010 3:13 pm

pokeyoats wrote:Hi all,

I am currently a proud owner of Ableton Live 8 (not Suite) and I have made such progress in the production and composition of Electronic Dance Music but I find myself with a lack of effects and build-ups that are prevalent in EDM.

I have some Windy FX but they are relatively short and I've tried to warp them but have had ...odd results.

So, I was wondering, can I generate this whooshing sound myself using just Live 8.

In the car on the way into work this morning I had the idea of dragging the windy FX into simpler, setting it to loop quickly around the beginning with some extra reverb and then using the pitch bend wheel to make it ascend or descend.

Any other, or easier suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

You should be able to get what you want out of the reverb. you dont have any synths you can change an osc to noise? has to be a free vst you can use for it.

dum

Post by dum » Wed Sep 08, 2010 3:29 pm

Pasha wrote:Thanks dum for being so precise.

pokeyoats

Post by pokeyoats » Wed Sep 08, 2010 4:24 pm

jonesonyou wrote: You should be able to get what you want out of the reverb. you dont have any synths you can change an osc to noise? has to be a free vst you can use for it.
Thank you ever so much for the advice. Are there any Synths you can suggest that will allow me to change an osc to noise? I think that would be perfect.

I'll start investigating the free VSTs too. Again, thank you!

pokeyoats

Post by pokeyoats » Wed Sep 08, 2010 4:25 pm

dum wrote:Image
Why the "shoot yourself" smiley? Did I make a faux pas? Is this something easy that I have foolishly missed?

Rave

Post by Rave » Wed Sep 08, 2010 4:26 pm

Google it there are shed loads of threads on this topic.

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=white+ ... ent=safari

pokeyoats

Post by pokeyoats » Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:19 pm

Rave wrote:Google it there are shed loads of threads on this topic.

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=white+ ... ent=safari
Hmmm, fascinating, I would not have guessed the subject matter would be so popular, nor can I say I immediately thought to Google such a thing as I consider the Ableton install base and community to be a niche.

I will continue researching, thank you for those that contributed.

Tweaking Knobs

Post by Tweaking Knobs » Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:54 pm

noise+ lp filter , + modulate the cut off.

timothyallan

Post by timothyallan » Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:26 pm

pimping my video here, but it sounds right up your alley..

http://www.groove3.com/str/producing-ho ... nt-fx.html

Tons of stuff on transitions, buildups, woosh fx etc etc...

Dr. Fluffenstein

Post by Dr. Fluffenstein » Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:56 pm

Get some noise and use an automated filter type of your choice on it, you don't necessarily need a vst with a noise oscillator, a consistent noise sample loaded into simpler will work fine, put it on loop obviously and make sure it's reasonably long or else you might hear a pattern in it. That's the bread and butter way of doing it, which is enough. If you want cake you'll have to experiment with live's effects + automation as well as different source material.

pokeyoats

Post by pokeyoats » Sun Sep 12, 2010 1:52 pm

Dr. Fluffenstein wrote:Get some noise and use an automated filter type of your choice on it, you don't necessarily need a vst with a noise oscillator, a consistent noise sample loaded into simpler will work fine, put it on loop obviously and make sure it's reasonably long or else you might hear a pattern in it. That's the bread and butter way of doing it, which is enough. If you want cake you'll have to experiment with live's effects + automation as well as different source material.
Yep, this is the way I've managed to create the whoosh so far, it's not terrible. I just wish I had dome white noise that didn't rise in pitch. But overall, the Simpler method I'm using (and that you pointed out) is working quite well.

mihai

Post by mihai » Sun Sep 12, 2010 3:19 pm

there are actually some good white and pink noise samples on www.freesound.org with a good length from what i remember.

su

Post by su » Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:30 pm

audacity will produce samples of white, pink and brown noise of any length you choose.

evileye

Post by evileye » Sun Sep 12, 2010 9:21 pm

timothyallan wrote:pimping my video here, but it sounds right up your alley..

http://www.groove3.com/str/producing-ho ... nt-fx.html

Tons of stuff on transitions, buildups, woosh fx etc etc...
I totally recommend this video. Lots of good stuff i just made a folder of fx swooshes n sweeps in about half an hour watch the video you wont be disappointed
IMO one of the better ones out there
cheers tim :D

pokeyoats

Post by pokeyoats » Tue Sep 21, 2010 7:42 pm

WOW!! Thank you for all of the wonderful examples, tutorials and sites to visit. I had no idea that Audacity can do what I want, I like audacity and use it a lot (obviously not well enough though - lolz).

In the end I managed to use the simpler method with the Scratches and FX that comes with Traktor. But I think you'll agree (I'll post a link) that some better whooshes would certainly be a welcome addition to anything we do.

For anyone that's interested, here's a link to a "Ditty" that my wife and I made using whooshes from the help in this forum!

Link to "Ditty": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmthW7fD ... r_embedded

Thanks everyone, I really appreciate it!!

Edit to add: The Ditty, by the way, was done entirely using Ableton Live 8 (can't afford Suite) and all of the Synths are Ableton ones. I just thought I would add this in case it encouraged anyone who, like us, may not be able to afford the top shelf stuff! :)