Music Production-Flying Lotus/Brainfeeder/Low End Theory

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
delegatetheclan

Music Production-Flying Lotus/Brainfeeder/Low End Theory

Post by delegatetheclan » Wed Sep 08, 2010 7:01 pm

Don't worry I don't want to try to emulate these sounds. Im just curious about what equipment the guys from this Low End Theory beat scene use (obviously each use a little bit of different stuff). I know some use ableton for live shows and probably producing too. Although I hear Flying Lotus uses Reason for producing. Anyways can anyone clarify what kind of VSTs, DAW, hardware that artists like Lorn, Tokimonsta, Teebs, Flying Lotus, Shlohmo, and etc. use. A lot of it just seems like samples and field recordings that have been really tweaked out (thats just my guess). This seems like a pretty big movement in the music community and it seems like a very collaborative community. I was just wondering if anyone knows what kinda stuff these guys use for producing. And again, I don't want to mimic any of these artists, Im just super curious.

thanks.

nylarch

Re: Music Production-Flying Lotus/Brainfeeder/Low End Theory

Post by nylarch » Wed Sep 08, 2010 7:54 pm

videos I've seen on the web - Take is on Ableton, Glitch Mob Cubase, Free the Robots is on Record/Reason. I think the lesson is it really doesn't matter.

If you want to sound like FlyLo write some incredibly brilliant futuristic music then keep squashing it until it creates a solid block with no transients in an Ableton clip.
MacBook Pro; Live 8 Suite, Reaktor; '77 Fender Jazz Bass; Apogee One;

razorblade

Post by razorblade » Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:56 pm

delegatetheclan wrote: I was just wondering if anyone knows what kinda stuff these guys use for producing.
Some Haze is a critical component to FlyLo's sound....

No...I am 3phase!

fatrabbit

Post by fatrabbit » Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:17 am

He answered loads of questions on Twitter yesterday... http://twitter.com/flyinglotus
@fourteenwinters @flyinglotus I heard you run your beats through some crazy outboard? .... Not true. My setup is pretty bootleg.
@funkyrobot Favorite piece of gear? my granny's fender rhodes
@TechnoMusicNews What do you think of NI Maschine? They're all just toys. They all do the same shit.