M Audio Axiom 49 or Oxygen 49?

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
ChrisMack99

M Audio Axiom 49 or Oxygen 49?

Post by ChrisMack99 » Fri Sep 10, 2010 2:57 pm

Is the Axiom really worth the extra hundred bucks? They don't really seem THAT different.

Which should be my first MIDI controller? I've been shopping around for a bit and I've narrowed it down to these two, but I'm also open to other suggestions around the same price range.

ttaralli

Re: M Audio Axiom 49 or Oxygen 49?

Post by ttaralli » Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:58 pm

I have had a Oxygen 8 and a Axiom 49 and I don't think it's worth it to go to the Axiom. The pads suck and imo were unusable. I added a PadKontrol at the time which was great. Other than that I didn't think the Axiom offered anything special over the Oxygen. I'm thinking of buying a Axiom Pro because if Hyper Control works it will probably be worth it. My opinion is save the money and go with the Oxygen.

Musiclab

Post by Musiclab » Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:48 pm

Assuming you are talking about the 2nd generation of both controllers (49 key version) the most important difference are that the Axiom has:

Assignable aftertouch
Zones for splitting and stacking sounds on up to 4 MIDI channels
An extra assignable pedal/switch input
Standard 5 pin MIDI connecters (as well as USB)
Pads
Bigger transpose buttons for on the fly switching
In Direct Link Mode you have the MIxer AND Instrument modes for the faders, buttons and encoders.

An important improvement over the 1st gen models is the Linear velocity value option for the keys and pads. Although the are 3 less velocity curves this neutral option offers better player expression options.

IMO the pads and keys are fine to play. Like anything, you have to spend time developing your own 'touch.' If this is your first keyboard controller then some of the more advanced or added functions of the Axiom over the Oxygen may not interest you, but think about it as buying yourself options for down the road.

As an aside, if you have any thoughts about improving your keyboard skills to play with both hands at the same time, try and spring for the 61 key model (if you have room), the extra keys are worth it.

Akshara

Post by Akshara » Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:31 pm

I prefer the feel and response of the semi-weighted keys on the Axioms. While both controllers are made of plastic, the Oxygen / Ozone line feels more like a plastic or toy controller, while the Axiom line feels more like an actual instrument, at least for a midi controller. So if tactile feel matters, then the Axiom is worth it.

My guess is that if you got an opportunity to play both in person, that you'd probably like the Axiom better.