Simple synth with all parameters accessible via automation?

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
Post Reply
slirak
Posts: 656
Joined: Tue Jul 24, 2007 10:03 pm

Simple synth with all parameters accessible via automation?

Post by slirak » Fri Sep 10, 2010 3:43 pm

Looking for a no-thrills subtractive synt plug with all sound parameters accessible via VST automation (not MIDI).

Looking for something with:
2 - 3 VCO's with PWM and sync.
2 - 3 EG's
1 - 2 VCF's
2 - 3 LFO's

Should be a good analogue emulation, but not necessarily mimicking any existing analogue synth.

Must work with OS X, so Synth Edit stuff won't work.

TAL's NoiseMaker seemed to fit the bill, but a couple of parameters aren't accessible via VST automation, only MIDI. And apparently, the developer will make it even less VST automatable (is that a word?) in an upcoming release, focusing on MIDI mapping.

Any tips?

glitchrock-buddha
Posts: 4357
Joined: Fri Oct 14, 2005 1:29 am
Location: The Ableton Live Forum

Re: Simple synth with all parameters accessible via automation?

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Fri Sep 10, 2010 4:48 pm

This happens to be one of my specialties! Since I'm a big fan of Novation automap, I like synths that expose every single parameter to the host for automation or host based mapping. Analog VA's tend to be the best candidates because they usually use standard waveforms and complex waveshaping or multi-envelopes etc.

The best ones you'll find that fit your requirements are:
-U-He Ace
-Poly-Ana
-Sylenth1 (No sync though)

These three expose every single parameter and button, even modulation sources and destination menus. ACE even lets you map or automate the cable routing. Sylenth1 also exposes the step sequencer step values. Sylenth1 doesn't have true sync or PWM, but you can still achieve the PWM sound from the Osc inversion, and it's one of the best sounding synths in existence. Poly-Ana has those for all three Oscs as well cross-modulation of Oscs (Analog FM). Which one you prefer will totally be down to design and sound. They're all amazing.

Some other ones that expose all/most parameters:
-GForce synths, rob papen synths, u-he synths, korg legacy, gladiator, d16 synths, ultra analog.
Professional Shark Jumper.

glenn303
Posts: 1056
Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2007 7:03 pm

Re: Simple synth with all parameters accessible via automation?

Post by glenn303 » Fri Sep 10, 2010 5:55 pm

glitchrock-buddha wrote:This happens to be one of my specialties! Since I'm a big fan of Novation automap, I like synths that expose every single parameter to the host for automation or host based mapping. Analog VA's tend to be the best candidates because they usually use standard waveforms and complex waveshaping or multi-envelopes etc.

The best ones you'll find that fit your requirements are:
-U-He Ace
-Poly-Ana
-Sylenth1 (No sync though)

These three expose every single parameter and button, even modulation sources and destination menus. ACE even lets you map or automate the cable routing. Sylenth1 also exposes the step sequencer step values. Sylenth1 doesn't have true sync or PWM, but you can still achieve the PWM sound from the Osc inversion, and it's one of the best sounding synths in existence. Poly-Ana has those for all three Oscs as well cross-modulation of Oscs (Analog FM). Which one you prefer will totally be down to design and sound. They're all amazing.

Some other ones that expose all/most parameters:
-GForce synths, rob papen synths, u-he synths, korg legacy, gladiator, d16 synths, ultra analog.
+1 for Korg legacy, I have been using Poly 6 and Mono/Poly as my go to synths for the past few months now, and super easy to tweak.
I only wish the Poly 6 had a bigger GUI.

slirak
Posts: 656
Joined: Tue Jul 24, 2007 10:03 pm

Re: Simple synth with all parameters accessible via automation?

Post by slirak » Fri Sep 10, 2010 6:06 pm

glitchrock-buddha wrote:This happens to be one of my specialties! Since I'm a big fan of Novation automap, I like synths that expose every single parameter to the host for automation or host based mapping.
And that's exactly why I ask! :)
glitchrock-buddha wrote:U-He Ace
So you can automate the patch cables too, I didn't know that. Great! But I'm told it's really CPU hungry?
glitchrock-buddha wrote: -Poly-Ana
-Sylenth1 (No sync though)
Too many parameters for my taste. (And PWM is a must.) I've become obsessed by small gear so I've swapped my Remote SL for a Nocturn. And since the Nocturn doesn't have any display, I'd like something simple enough for me to remember all parameters. Sure, there's the Automap GUI, but I'd like to work as display free as possible.
glitchrock-buddha wrote:-GForce synths
After I posted, I realized that I actually own GForce's Oddity! Fits the bill perfectly and I've already created a nice map for it. But I'd like something less harsh sounding as a complement. Been thinking about their Minimonsta, but it has just a wee bit too many parameters too, with that extended routing.
glitchrock-buddha wrote:rob papen synths, u-he synths
Will check them out.
glitchrock-buddha wrote:korg legacy
Have them, love them. Well, the MS-20 and Polysix anyway. But the Polysix is a bit limited and you can't automate the MS-20's patch cables. :cry: I do have the MS-20 controller which handles the patching, but again, I'm obsessed with really small gear. I'd like to be able to fit it all in a laptop bag.
glitchrock-buddha wrote:gladiator, d16 synths
Will check them out.
glitchrock-buddha wrote:ultra analog.
Certainly fits the bill and would possibly be my firsthand choice. But I'll be damned if I'd buy it again - I already have Analog...

Thanks Glitchrock, I'll look in to a few of your suggestions!

slirak
Posts: 656
Joined: Tue Jul 24, 2007 10:03 pm

Re: Simple synth with all parameters accessible via automation?

Post by slirak » Fri Sep 10, 2010 6:17 pm

glenn303 wrote: I have been using Poly 6 and Mono/Poly as my go to synths for the past few months now, and super easy to tweak.
I have the original Legacy pack, so I have Wavestation instead of Mono/Poly. I used the real synths a lot back in the day and I think the softies do a fair job emulating them when it comes to the PolySix and (to a lesser extent) the MS-20. But I wasn't impressed by the Mono/Poly emulation at all, to my ears it doesn't sound anything like the original. But you're right, it does sound good if you stop expecting the sound of an actual Mono/Poly. I'll download the demo and play around with it. There's a reasonable upgrade offer.

glitchrock-buddha
Posts: 4357
Joined: Fri Oct 14, 2005 1:29 am
Location: The Ableton Live Forum

Re: Simple synth with all parameters accessible via automation?

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Fri Sep 10, 2010 6:28 pm

ACE isn't bad with cpu if you use it as a mono synth, especially on the 'standard' quality setting. It gets high with polyphony though, but so do many synths. It has 2 Ocss, 2 filters, 2 lfo's, 2 envelopes. The lfo's can also be used as Ocs because they go into the audible frequency range. But if you think Poly-Ana and Sylenth1 have too many parameters, you might thinkn ACE does as well.

I'd look more closely at Poly-Ana. 3 Oscs, 2 filters, 3 Envelopes and 2 lfo's, exaclty what you want. Many of the dials you see on the gui are just modulation sources and amounts. There is a setting to change those big ugly silver dials to drop down menus which I like better actually.

I'd look at imposcar as well. Not too many parameters but more versatile than oddity. impOscar 2 should be out any day now. And the Mono/Poly from Korg would be another good one.
Professional Shark Jumper.

glenn303
Posts: 1056
Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2007 7:03 pm

Re: Simple synth with all parameters accessible via automation?

Post by glenn303 » Fri Sep 10, 2010 6:53 pm

slirak wrote:
glenn303 wrote: I have been using Poly 6 and Mono/Poly as my go to synths for the past few months now, and super easy to tweak.
I have the original Legacy pack, so I have Wavestation instead of Mono/Poly. I used the real synths a lot back in the day and I think the softies do a fair job emulating them when it comes to the PolySix and (to a lesser extent) the MS-20. But I wasn't impressed by the Mono/Poly emulation at all, to my ears it doesn't sound anything like the original. But you're right, it does sound good if you stop expecting the sound of an actual Mono/Poly. I'll download the demo and play around with it. There's a reasonable upgrade offer.
I never played the original Mono/Poly (monopoly...ha, I just got that ;) but the soft version has built in effects so maybe turning them off might help with the sound. I like this synth a lot esp when you detune it a bit.

slirak
Posts: 656
Joined: Tue Jul 24, 2007 10:03 pm

Re: Simple synth with all parameters accessible via automation?

Post by slirak » Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:20 pm

glenn303 wrote:
slirak wrote:
glenn303 wrote: I have been using Poly 6 and Mono/Poly as my go to synths for the past few months now, and super easy to tweak.
I have the original Legacy pack, so I have Wavestation instead of Mono/Poly. I used the real synths a lot back in the day and I think the softies do a fair job emulating them when it comes to the PolySix and (to a lesser extent) the MS-20. But I wasn't impressed by the Mono/Poly emulation at all, to my ears it doesn't sound anything like the original. But you're right, it does sound good if you stop expecting the sound of an actual Mono/Poly. I'll download the demo and play around with it. There's a reasonable upgrade offer.
I never played the original Mono/Poly (monopoly...ha, I just got that ;) but the soft version has built in effects so maybe turning them off might help with the sound. I like this synth a lot esp when you detune it a bit.
The soft version differs quite a lot from the original. There's some really radical "improvements" that I guess you could turn off, but some of the quirks that made the original so, eh, original are also lacking. Like the weird voice allocation. Also, I don't think neither the oscillators nor the filters sound like they "should". But still, it does sound nice. Some would probably say the softie sounds better than the original. It's warmer and smoother. I will give it a second chance.

Post Reply