How to hold a sound and repeat it rhythmically.

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
nobbystylus

Post by nobbystylus » Mon Dec 20, 2004 2:10 pm

This is a stutter effect.. Reaktor has many ensembles dedicated to this including sync stutter, livestutterer etc...
http://www.myspace.com/wardclerk
http://www.myspace.com/bighairufreqs
LIVE 8.21/ Reaktor 5.51/VDMX/Quartz Composer

blakbeltjonez

Post by blakbeltjonez » Mon Dec 20, 2004 3:05 pm

i just did a live show a few days ago where we utilized Supatrigga in the same way the original poster described - triggering 4th/8th note repeats at any point in the song. the way i set it up was:

2 instances of supatrigga across the master buss, granularity set to 4 on the first, 8 on the second

on each instance of Supatrigga, repeat/reverse/etc probabilities were set to 0. instant repeat and instant reverse were mapped to MIDI keys, as were on/off for the plug in - the idea was to have predictable response when you fired the keys (i love the random nature of Supatrigga, but sometimes it's not all that practical to utilize live) whack them on for a 1/4-1/2-1 bar and then off again and be back into where the song should be. the 1/4 bar repeat/reverse works especially well if you're going for the "broken disco loop" feel.....

the whole thing worked really well, although there were some moments where the buffer was still stuck with audio chunks from a previous song but i think that was because i had kept the plug in off for a while instead of keying the repeat reverse off and leaving the plug in on.

the keys on the controller were marked with color coded stickers that you can get at office supply stores so i knew what key was doing what since i had so many assigned to trigger things and i didn't want to get confused.

looking back, i think that a better way to do it might have been to assign a knob as a switch on a UC-33 or something because you can get a visual on what state the plug in is in - that's not really possible with a key on/key off situation unless you are looking at the plug in and who wants to be doing that all the time?

one wierd thing with Supatrigga in OSX i've noticed - when i start up the session, the settings aren't remembered and i have to manually reset them each time..... anyone else have this problem? it's a real pain in the ass, maybe it's pilot error on my part but i dunno what i am doing wrong here...

ethios4

Post by ethios4 » Mon Dec 20, 2004 6:35 pm

I think Machinate's right.....PhutboySlim is probably just the plugin you're looking for. Whatever audio is playing when you hit the button will repeat at the interval of your choice.... 1/1 all the way to 1/64. Also odd-numbered divisions are possible, but not triplets, or tuple-metered rhythms, if i remember.
Its super handy and, imo, more reliable than supatrigger.

emef

Post by emef » Mon Dec 20, 2004 6:52 pm

OOPS *edited* didn't notice the above post and basically posted the same thing about phutboy slim and supatrigga.

Spiralgroove

Post by Spiralgroove » Mon Dec 20, 2004 7:57 pm

ummm i dont know about anyone else but im able to do this without any plugins at all...

i use this program called ableton live.

perhaps youve heard of it?

smutek

Post by smutek » Mon Dec 20, 2004 8:16 pm

Yeah, couldnt you just duplicate the clip in the same scene shorten the loop length and create a follow action to switch back to the first?

Spiralgroove

Post by Spiralgroove » Mon Dec 20, 2004 8:36 pm

yep...

Jomdom

Post by Jomdom » Mon Dec 20, 2004 8:54 pm

Well, there wouldn't be much point in stuttering a single clip, considering he wants it done across the whole master bus.
"No one cares, no one sympathizes; you just stay home and play synthesizers."
- Flight of the Conchords

ethios4

Post by ethios4 » Mon Dec 20, 2004 9:11 pm

hmm...can't people just do things how they want to do them? In no way do i see how it would be easier to use follow actions and multiple clips rather than just use a simple stutter plugin, especially since the whole point is to stutter the final mix. Studio work is a different story of course...

nolus

Post by nolus » Mon Dec 20, 2004 9:36 pm

Try this. It can be applied to the whole mix, a single track or any combination of tracks and return channels.

In session view:
1. Create an extra audio track, arm it for recording and set it's monitor to auto.
2. Route the tracks that you want effected to the new track instead of the master output.
3. Set the quantise value to the required repeat length
4. When tou get to the section you want to repeat click to record a clip on the new track and then click again straight away to play the new clip.
5. Click the new track's clip stop button to go back to normal playback.

Each time you use the effect you create a new audio clip containing the loop, so once you've captured it you can trigger it again any time you like, drag it to another track and add effects or whatever you can think of.

Try it - it's easier to do than to describe.
"That very perceptive of you Mr Stapleton, and rather unexpected... in a G Major"

Spiralgroove

Post by Spiralgroove » Mon Dec 20, 2004 9:37 pm

ethios4 wrote:hmm...can't people just do things how they want to do them? In no way do i see how it would be easier to use follow actions and multiple clips rather than just use a simple stutter plugin, especially since the whole point is to stutter the final mix. Studio work is a different story of course...
it really depends on what youre doing.

and no i dont think using follow actions or multiple clips is difficult at all

different strokes for different folk

the question was how, not what way is best...

there are many ways

therein lies the beauty of live

ethios4

Post by ethios4 » Mon Dec 20, 2004 10:13 pm

Spiralgroove wrote: there are many ways

therein lies the beauty of live
:D

smutek

Post by smutek » Mon Dec 20, 2004 10:16 pm

ethios4 wrote:hmm...can't people just do things how they want to do them? In no way do i see how it would be easier to use follow actions and multiple clips rather than just use a simple stutter plugin, especially since the whole point is to stutter the final mix. Studio work is a different story of course...
Norman OK. Everytime I hear about Norman OK. I think of the flaming lips.

ethios4

Post by ethios4 » Mon Dec 20, 2004 10:37 pm

OT, but what they hey...
the lips have been quite inspirational to me lately...they busted ass around here for near to 15 years before getting the success they have now. Its great to see people with such success that still hang out and come to lots of shows around here.

futureproof

Post by futureproof » Mon Dec 20, 2004 10:45 pm

blakbeltjonez wrote:

one wierd thing with Supatrigga in OSX i've noticed - when i start up the session, the settings aren't remembered and i have to manually reset them each time..... anyone else have this problem? it's a real pain in the ass, maybe it's pilot error on my part but i dunno what i am doing wrong here...

same thing here.
"THE biggest differences between Live 3 & 4 are the things that Live 4 have that are missing in Live 3"

-some dude on KVR.