About drawing envelopes by hand (with mouse)

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
shinysideup

About drawing envelopes by hand (with mouse)

Post by shinysideup » Sat Sep 11, 2010 11:56 pm

I'm working on a pitch envelope, so that's the focus, but this applies to envelopes in general.
When drawing an envelope with the mouse, it's extremely choppy...to put it simply, the edges are all jagged and non-uniform
because it's virtually impossible to get a perfect "curve" (or whatever). Are there any onboard tools that will create an
envelope with a smooth curve/edge or am I stuck editing the individual point and hoping for the best? I'm really hoping
there's something where I can set the start/end points and then drag the curve, if that makes sense.

Also regarding pitch bend: is there any way to have horizontal lines display that will give us some clue
as to what note we're at with the envelope?
All my music is free to download at Reverb Nation. And why not connect with me at Facebook. Come play.

glenn303

Re: About drawing envelopes by hand (with mouse)

Post by glenn303 » Sun Sep 12, 2010 1:26 am

shinysideup wrote:I'm working on a pitch envelope, so that's the focus, but this applies to envelopes in general.
When drawing an envelope with the mouse, it's extremely choppy...to put it simply, the edges are all jagged and non-uniform
because it's virtually impossible to get a perfect "curve" (or whatever). Are there any onboard tools that will create an
envelope with a smooth curve/edge or am I stuck editing the individual point and hoping for the best? I'm really hoping
there's something where I can set the start/end points and then drag the curve, if that makes sense.

Also regarding pitch bend: is there any way to have horizontal lines display that will give us some clue
as to what note we're at with the envelope?
Have you tried with grid turned off?

JoshR

Post by JoshR » Sun Sep 12, 2010 2:03 am

yeah, grid off and ctrl/apple b.

shinysideup

Post by shinysideup » Sun Sep 12, 2010 2:29 am

Yes, the grid is off. I'm drawing without it... thing is: my hand sucks at dragging out a nice curve.
All my music is free to download at Reverb Nation. And why not connect with me at Facebook. Come play.

JoshR

Post by JoshR » Sun Sep 12, 2010 2:51 am

ctrl/apple b

shinysideup

Post by shinysideup » Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:14 am

I got your message (twice now) regarding ctrl+b ... it's ALREADY off... that's not the problem here.