M-Audio Axiom 49 and... APC40 or APC20?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
TCONELLYJOTYAS

M-Audio Axiom 49 and... APC40 or APC20?

Post by TCONELLYJOTYAS » Sun Sep 12, 2010 12:48 am

Hi Everyone.
I already have an Axiom 49 from M-Audio and I'm thinking of buying either an APC40 or a APC20.
Which Would be better to work with the Axiom in Ableton as I have tight budget, e.g. do I need the extra controls that the APC40 has etc.
Also What would you map onto each controller for Production and Live use, e.g what should I use the faders on one for and the encoders on the other etc.
Thanks

antarktika

Re: M-Audio Axiom 49 and... APC40 or APC20?

Post by antarktika » Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:59 pm

well, you axiom has 8 rotaries and 9 faders, so the question would be, do you require more control than that? if you're getting it mostly just to launch clips, you'd save a lot just getting the 20, then between those two you'd have 18 faders, and 8 rotaries, which seems like more than enough, depending on how much direct control you require over your songs. I got a launchpad, cheaper build, cheaper price, but all I required for what I was looking for in an auxiliary controller for my axiom. As per what to map the controls to, whatever functions you need control of!

TCONELLYJOTYAS

Re: M-Audio Axiom 49 and... APC40 or APC20?

Post by TCONELLYJOTYAS » Mon Sep 13, 2010 8:11 am

I was thinking that I should go APC20 and I'll use the APC for Transport and the individual track level's etc. And maybe map the controls on the axiom to a synth or something else I want to control in that particular set. Do you know how to map the axiom that way while like keeping the pads mapped to Impulse from the axiom live pack presets but getting rid of the mappings for the faders and encoders?