APC 40 problems at Burning Man + video

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Dan Senseï

APC 40 problems at Burning Man + video

Post by Dan Senseï » Wed Sep 15, 2010 1:20 am

Listen up APC40 owners and potential buyers

You may already know this, but the APC40 is not designed to be played outside under the bright sun. Your clip triggers lose all colours, so you better be good at looking at your computer screen as you press the colourless buttons.

Second of all, for those of you who go to Burning Man or some other desert festival, bring your APC40 only if you want to chuck it at the end of your set à la Kurt Cobain. A friend of mine brought his and now tons of the faders don't work. Maybe he didn't have the right protection for it, though.

If some of you are interested in going to Burning Man next year to shine as DJs or just to soak in all the art, dubstep and good vibes-- then check out my lil' video I did on the experience.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-etzBj7xfCY

Cheers!

antarktika

Re: APC 40 problems at Burning Man + video

Post by antarktika » Wed Sep 15, 2010 6:12 am

the right protection = the good sense not to bring it to burning man in the first place.

Captain Johnson

Post by Captain Johnson » Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:41 am

That video brings me think of one term..........Douche bag! Single handily put me off ever going near burning man. Like a vox pop off an old MTV show by some annoying dwad presenter. As for using the APC40 in the sun, What do you expect?? Throw constant blowing sand into the mix it's going to cause trouble.

Manik

Post by Manik » Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:38 am

you a funny guy

Dan Senseï

Post by Dan Senseï » Wed Sep 15, 2010 1:12 pm

Manik wrote:you a funny guy
Thank you, Manik. I try.

Dan Senseï

Dear Captain Johnson

Post by Dan Senseï » Wed Sep 15, 2010 1:14 pm

Captain Johnson wrote:That video brings me think of one term..........Douche bag! Single handily put me off ever going near burning man. Like a vox pop off an old MTV show by some annoying dwad presenter. As for using the APC40 in the sun, What do you expect?? Throw constant blowing sand into the mix it's going to cause trouble.
Thanks Captain Johnson. A fitting name for a dude who wants to insult me like that. Ever hear of constructive criticism? Anyways, I hope you hide yourself from douche bags like me in the real world. Now I see part of the purpose of that video: getting the Johnsons of the world to stay away from Burning Man and burners. Be comfortable at home, dicking at around with your software or hardware. Dance or play in the dark club where hopefully the music is so loud that no one will hear you, and the place is so dark that your face is unseen.

Cheers.

P.S. I hope that neither of us are ACTUALLY douche bags and we can just get along, OK? PEACE.

Dan Senseï

Post by Dan Senseï » Wed Sep 15, 2010 1:16 pm

antarktika wrote:the right protection = the good sense not to bring it to burning man in the first place.
Exactly. I didn't bring it, my friend did. Still, what are DJs to do if they want to play in a Mad Max post-apocalyptic desert?

Maco

Post by Maco » Wed Sep 15, 2010 2:06 pm

Moldover was this year at Burnign Man I try to see him but the time never was accurate at playa.

Dusty Hugs Burners :mrgreen:

Captain Johnson

Re: Dear Captain Johnson

Post by Captain Johnson » Wed Sep 15, 2010 2:12 pm

Dan Senseï wrote:
Captain Johnson wrote:That video brings me think of one term..........Douche bag! Single handily put me off ever going near burning man. Like a vox pop off an old MTV show by some annoying dwad presenter. As for using the APC40 in the sun, What do you expect?? Throw constant blowing sand into the mix it's going to cause trouble.
Thanks Captain Johnson. A fitting name for a dude who wants to insult me like that. Ever hear of constructive criticism? Anyways, I hope you hide yourself from douche bags like me in the real world. Now I see part of the purpose of that video: getting the Johnsons of the world to stay away from Burning Man and burners. Be comfortable at home, dicking at around with your software or hardware. Dance or play in the dark club where hopefully the music is so loud that no one will hear you, and the place is so dark that your face is unseen.

Cheers.

P.S. I hope that neither of us are ACTUALLY douche bags and we can just get along, OK? PEACE.

I'm sure we both are :wink: I ain't had a cigarette for 24hours so my apologies. I'm quite a subdued forum roamer normally. I couldn't handle that video that early in the morning.

Dan Senseï

Truce

Post by Dan Senseï » Wed Sep 15, 2010 2:26 pm

Captain Johnson wrote: I'm sure we both are :wink: I ain't had a cigarette for 24hours so my apologies. I'm quite a subdued forum roamer normally. I couldn't handle that video that early in the morning.
Thanks for replying so amicably. I can see how that could happen: early mornings should be devoid of in-your-face personalities. My girlfriend always tells me to tone it down until she's had her coffee. :mrgreen:
Cheers

Captain Johnson

Post by Captain Johnson » Wed Sep 15, 2010 2:48 pm

Thanks for not getting too pissed off. I am reactionary when in bad mood mode. NO need for negative vibes as you are only trying to create a positive message. Too many late nights making music and not enough nicotine create angry man inside. Can be humorous from time to time.

Semuta

Post by Semuta » Wed Sep 15, 2010 3:32 pm

Hi guys. I was at the burn this year, didn't take my apc (for the aforementioned reasons -I've lost enough gear there...)

My solution for knobs and buttons was TouchOSC with LiveControl. Not the greatest, but an IPod touch is relatively dustproof...

As for Moldover, I saw him burn night at center camp with Kid Beyond. They did a live improv set and it was cool. Moldover was using his super controller...

S
http://www.semuta.com
Ableton Suite 9 : Push : Maschine : Komplete 8 Ultimate : Sugar Bundle : Diva

Pete LaDeet

Post by Pete LaDeet » Wed Sep 15, 2010 4:06 pm

I think sand is going to destroy any electronics. If he had a lemur, he would have scratched the hell out of the screen and any other mixer(fader's) would get jacked as well. As for the sun, try using a vendor tent. I played outside once and used on of those and was fine. For the people giving this guy shit, dont be lame, he is just aking questions. As for burning man, its not for me and i will never go to a single one.

razorblade

Post by razorblade » Wed Sep 15, 2010 4:14 pm

Pete LaDeet wrote:I think sand is going to destroy any electronics. If he had a lemur, he would have scratched the hell out of the screen and any other mixer(fader's) would get jacked as well. As for the sun, try using a vendor tent. I played outside once and used on of those and was fine. For the people giving this guy shit, dont be lame, he is just aking questions. As for burning man, its not for me and i will never go to a single one.
Sand doesn't really describe a Playa duststorm.

Imagine someone dumping a trashcan of talcum powder all over your rig, with a giant industrial fan blowing it...
No...I am 3phase!

Semuta

Post by Semuta » Wed Sep 15, 2010 4:42 pm

Yah. Playa dust isn't very abrasive. It's alkaline.

S
http://www.semuta.com
Ableton Suite 9 : Push : Maschine : Komplete 8 Ultimate : Sugar Bundle : Diva