Anyone here own the Roland SPD-30?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
pedroschki

Re: Anyone here own the Roland SPD-30?

Post by pedroschki » Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:36 am

When you say you can link them up... do you mean you hit start in Live and that will start the phrase looper, but they are out of time? Or does that not work either?

Can't remember how exactly mine is set up as I'm at work. But make sure the midi sync ports in Live's preferences are enabled and also check that the midi settings on the SPD30 are set so it receives start commands...

Christian Witt

Post by Christian Witt » Sun Jun 03, 2012 7:44 pm

Did you get it to work? i have the same problem.

1. Spd-30 syncs when i press play in ableton.
2. But when i stop the "phrase loop" at the Spd-30, to load or record a other "phrase loop"
i cant get it to sync again without press stop & play in ableton

so is there a trick?

thanks...

barstu

Post by barstu » Mon Jun 04, 2012 1:16 pm

My drummer has an SPD-S I think it has limited phrasing capabilities but we've never used. Anyone know if it can do what Aceluby describes here?

At the moment I'm just sending program changes.

bosonHavoc

Post by bosonHavoc » Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:57 am

i have been able to get the spd 30 to slave to ableton but when i stop ableton's clock the spd 30 will stop and then start up on its own.
which pretty much renders syncing useless in a live looping situation because i have to start then stop then start ableton to get it back in sync.

we decided that when i am looping my drummer plays with me and when my drummer is looping i just play 1 instrument.
i would love to know if anyone has any success slaving the spd-30 to ableton and using looper to set song tempo.

mikdog

Post by mikdog » Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:59 am

Hey. Thought I'd add my 2 cents. Same issue with usb clock sync, spd stops when live stops but starts on its own. Actual MIDI connection may be better than USB (?) but may even just be easier to set both clocks for live and spd individually and manually assuming bpm doesn't change over time.