Ableton Live 8.2

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Bizon

Re: Ableton Live 8.2

Post by Bizon » Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:10 pm

3phase wrote:you dont understand the problem.. i replace a 808 and a 303 with emulations inside the G2...

that are the foundations of an acid house related set.. they need to get the good clock

But..by accident.. the G2 gives a better fader box than most on the market. you want to use that ability because you payed many euros for that ability..

You can say.. not many machines on the market with taht kind of options.. but the G2 is not the only one..

And just acording to midi standard only sys ex comands are allowed to interupt the realtime commands like the clock...

So.. there should be no effekt of any controler feedback to the clock.. except..you havent programed that clock/realtime event priority.

or you use unspecifed sysex commands.. which would be a most unprofessional decission aswell...

to fuck midi performance for the sake of unkonown sys ex reciving devices one might own or not.? not good

I any case.. the program has a problem here..

A problem that underuns the german routine.. its no bug.. it´s just our way.. so it dont gets realized as a problemg and put into the demo basket..

however.. even when this might be a minority problem. it shows a fundamental problem of ablton to do it wright in the first place..

There are good reason why the clock has priority in the midi standard.. Its a bit stressing when your main DAW is so limited sometimes..

main problem is that my bug report got ignored.. so i can be sure that the situation wont change !
Maybe i get a APC again to overcome abletons shortcomings.

I dont like that..and i worry more about the weight than about the price of the unit.

In any case Ableton should look into theire sync issues.. they are in any department, and for any workflow that needs syncing, sub optimal..

regardles of sync format and wether ableton is master or slave...

ok..rewire works
but all out the box related formats suck..

How is the new serato Bridge? is sync sucking there too?
The sync issue does not currently bother me because I do not use Live to perform or sync with anyone else.

However, I gotta say 3phase, you are one dedicated dude. I am a firm believer in that with enough bitching, anything is possible.

Power to you man.

3phase

Post by 3phase » Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:16 pm

Bizon wrote:
The issue sync does not bother currently because I do not use Live to perform or sync with anyone else.

However, I gotta say 3phase, you are one dedicated dude. I am a firm believer in that with enough bitching, anything is possible.

Power to you man.

That is not the usual way in the audio world.. but with ableton its the only one..

They have lots of nice features and good concepts but they realy dont have it with the details..

in this regard they are absolutly not very german.. they are only very german when it comes to theire bug solving and user request routines..

and this in combination is pretty problematic. and the all forgiving user base is clouding that even more..

It was actually necessary to start public discussions to make them realize that L8 was suffering from random crash bugs..

Before that they had a strict german rouine.. A bug not reproducable is a user error..

they really was working with that doctrine...

I guess thats the main reason the fatal bugs surrived the pre release beta testing of L8

so.. one has to play the nasty fool here..

SYNC IS A PROBLEM..

beside the former crashing the biggest one for stage operation wright now..

and this program was dedicated to stage operation...
mac book 2,16 ghz 4(3)gb ram, Os 10.62, fireface 400,

fisto

Post by fisto » Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:14 pm

bump!! 3Phase go!!
I'm in for the fight for a proper MIDI-Sync :)
As it is know I also can't play live with my partner on 2 machines.
Very bad. Please Abes let this be your next target and then all will be fine :D

shimmy

Post by shimmy » Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:36 pm

GAWWWWD----By the time 8.2 downloads, Live 9 will be introduced.
Is there a TIME WARNER/ROAD RUNNER thread on the forum(s) I can bitch and moan in?

old school user

Post by old school user » Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:15 pm

Another vote for better sync support, I want to use my Echoplex EDP for looping with Live, with the EDP establishing the tempo and vice versa.

HomeWrekker

Post by HomeWrekker » Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:37 pm

I too would like to see better sync. Perhaps those at ableton hq might like to think about the creation of a rock solid ableton architecture that is designed to play well with other instances. There seems to be a lot of time being invested into the integration of products from other companies. Live has always been so appealing because you can play it like an instrument. I believe that we have evolved further from the idea of a single person playing a single instance of live to that of an electronic band. Sadly I have found myself moving away from live to a different host for live use. The sync issues have gone away and I am enjoying the new workflow.

At the moment I don't feel as though "Live" is quite living up to it's name. Please advance the core system and give us the ability to effortlessly jam with our friends!

Pitch Black

Post by Pitch Black » Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:44 pm

Have you guys tried using a common MIDI clock-master, and both instances of Live working as slaves? Such as a hardware drum mach, groovebox, master-keyboard clock, etc

That always worked well enough for me. Hows it been in your experience?
MBP M1Max | MacOS 12.7.2 | Live 11.3.20 | Babyface Pro FS | Push 3 (tethered) | a whole other bunch of controllers
Ableton Certified Trainer
Soundcloud

Migra

Post by Migra » Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:48 pm

Maybe something really pointless but I think it's time Ableton make the look and feel of the Mac OS X installer a bit more nice by making the mounted dmg from a simple white drive to a black one with the ableton logo on it :mrgreen: :idea: .... just a thought
| MacBook Pro 13" OS X 10.7.1 C2D@2.26 4GB.RAM 500GB.HDD@5400RPM | | Reason 6.5 | Logic Studio 9.1.7 | Cubase Artist 6.5.2 | Traktor Pro 2 | Nexus2 |

Fullofkittens

Post by Fullofkittens » Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:51 pm

Syncing to a groovebox or synth has not been a good experience for me, I'll grant you that.

I don't know if it's my MIDI router or what, but the tempo jumps all over the place. I'm tempted to think that this is not a Live problem, though, since I see the same thing if I try to sync an fx unit to a groovebox.

Jekblad

Post by Jekblad » Thu Sep 23, 2010 12:02 am

3phase, why do you line break after every sentence? just curious as it makes reading difficult...

I am pumped about AMP, although i just got a workflow with guitar rig that i like. Less cpu and better performance for a guitar plug would be great. amp mods on synths... :) yay.

In general it's weak that the preview video for AMP doesn't even have a guitar guy playing through it. It seemed more like a amp modeler for synths than an amp modeler, you know? I'm all about it, but at the same time i want something nice for my generic rock creations, and something to play my guitar out of Live. I remember they had a guitar player for "looper" and i almost crapped my pants. I thought, "is that guy lost?" interesting perception issue is all.

Makes sense to fix sync... but maybe not the most profitable, or more difficult than anticipated (ala session view automation)
2.4 ghz Macbook Pro 8gb RAM, SSD, Live 9 Suite, Puremagnetik, Minimal Talent

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Thu Sep 23, 2010 12:22 am

Pitch Black wrote:Have you guys tried using a common MIDI clock-master, and both instances of Live working as slaves? Such as a hardware drum mach, groovebox, master-keyboard clock, etc

That always worked well enough for me. Hows it been in your experience?
herp derp - clearly you're just not professional enough to bitch about problems, Paddy!
:wink:
:bighug,bighug:

Thanks for the update, Ableton. I've got students on a locked image, lamenting the absence of amp models in Live, and then you go and do this shit. Lovely.
mbp 2.66, osx 10.6.8, 8GB ram.

ze2be

Post by ze2be » Thu Sep 23, 2010 12:33 am

Thanks!
If I have installed Suite 8.1.4, do I need to download the full 1678mb Suite, or can I update with just the standard version as previously was possible?

Fullofkittens

Post by Fullofkittens » Thu Sep 23, 2010 12:39 am

@Ableton guys:

Did you guys ever consider releasing bittorrents of these minor releases? I'm getting mine at a blazing 50 kbps, when my connection is capable of > 1MBps.

If we were all seeding the file to each other it would go a lot faster.

thevariable

Post by thevariable » Thu Sep 23, 2010 4:28 am

Man 8.2 keeps crashing and right now it wont even start up. This is getting rather frustrating

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Thu Sep 23, 2010 4:30 am

hide/rename/kill your preferences.cfg file
do the same with your plug ins folder
disconnect all your external gear
reboot and try again.

hth
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz