Ableton Live 8.2

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
3phase

Re: Ableton Live 8.2

Post by 3phase » Sat Sep 25, 2010 12:53 am

@dennis

how is the stability status of L8.2 seems that it is a bit shaky on my computer.. i went back to 8.15 for this nights session and it run flawless.. the last beta i checked was 8.16b4 that was ok too..

were ther some more drastic changes from b4 to 8.2 that might cause trouble again?
mac book 2,16 ghz 4(3)gb ram, Os 10.62, fireface 400,

KrisM

Post by KrisM » Sat Sep 25, 2010 2:11 am

LOL I suggested something like Amp (mostly) jokingly/irritably in a FR thread. Nice.

Still not enough for me to upgrade to Suite, though :mrgreen:
I don't 'produce.' I write music.

gerard

Post by gerard » Sat Sep 25, 2010 2:12 am

Digital_Damage wrote:
3phase wrote:
Digital_Damage wrote:[
Jesus crist shut your face already!
why? i am wright now "syncing" to another ableton live guy and enjoy the drunken beat..
i shut up when one can sync..

the ethernet stuff wasnt much better actually than the midi.. nit woth the hazzle :-/
Quit being a bitch about it, if you don't like the situation go use some other DAW and save us the noise.
At this point I would be willing to take up a collection to buy you out of your license just so you would STFU.
It's not "just" noise...
Abledick-sucker. you're the bitch...
MBP 2,5ghz
Live8
Maschine - AK1

http://www.myspace.com/milestoperdition

Dennis DeSantis

Post by Dennis DeSantis » Sat Sep 25, 2010 3:39 am

3phase wrote:@dennis

how is the stability status of L8.2 seems that it is a bit shaky on my computer.. i went back to 8.15 for this nights session and it run flawless.. the last beta i checked was 8.16b4 that was ok too..

were ther some more drastic changes from b4 to 8.2 that might cause trouble again?

Hi 3phase,

I don't know of any changes beyond what's in the release notes: http://www.ableton.com/latest-release-notes.

Can you explain in more detail what you mean by "a bit shaky?" Did it crash?

Thanks,

vicz

Re: Ableton Live 8.2 - One Happy Camper!

Post by vicz » Sat Sep 25, 2010 7:42 am

Installed like a breeze, no crashes or problems so far, some interesting new content, what's to complain about? :D

crumhorn

Post by crumhorn » Sat Sep 25, 2010 7:54 am

@Dennis. Has there been any change with the compatibility status of certain VST plugins. I uninstalled my sample tank several Live versions ago because of constant crashing with horrible ear splitting noises that eventually destroyed my Spirit monitors.

According to this thread Live Audio Unit and VST Status it is still broken.
IK Multimedia synths and effects random crashes.
Format: AU & VST
Platform: PC & MAC
Status: We are not able to verify the problem. Please contact us, if you can reproduce this problem reliably and also contact the IK Multimedia support. Thanks.
Have Ableton made any progress with IK Multimedia on these problems? Dare I risk several hours spent installing Sample Tank only to be rewarded with more broken monitors? Or is it time to give up and dump my copy of sampletank on ebay.
"The banjo is the perfect instrument for the antisocial."

(Allow me to plug my guitar scale visualiser thingy - www.fretlearner.com)

pwal

Post by pwal » Sat Sep 25, 2010 9:56 am

anyone else seeing performance issues in 8.2? i have a set in 8.1.5 that runs fine, but in 8.2 the cpu is jumping up to 90/100% with audio breakup, etc... the set is a mix of audio & midi, on win xp32, asio drivers, some vst plugs... :cry:

3phase

Post by 3phase » Sat Sep 25, 2010 10:19 am

Dennis DeSantis wrote:
3phase wrote:@dennis

Hi 3phase,

I don't know of any changes beyond what's in the release notes: http://www.ableton.com/latest-release-notes.

Can you explain in more detail what you mean by "a bit shaky?" Did it crash?

Thanks,

no crash yet, but reacting slow on screen operations and giving shaky clockout put when opening the prefs or so..

was in the studio with somebody and didnt wanted to risk a recording .so moved back to 8.15 what elliminated the strange behaviour.. will try it again..

the day before i was on 8.16b4 without trouble aswell.

just wanted to know if the version varies a lot from 8.16b4..

we tried the network sync first in 8.2 than in 8.15..

with 8.15 the network sync was loosing connection all the time.. with 8.2 it worked but was only slightly better than midi.. if any better at all.. fluctuations of +/2 bpm on booth versions but (8.2 sounded tighter there than 8.15..which dropped the network every minute...

so maybe something in that department has caused the shakiness?

ah ja..and i had the strange audio dropouts you lately allways get on flash movies when you make them fullscreen.. the type with the beep tone..sequncer stops..drops tempo...than audio/tempo gets on again...
with L8.2.. the cpu temprature was on 68degree ..so no overheating that can cause this kind of glitch too..
at least no cpu overheating..maybe something else was well overheated anyway...

i will remove dust again and reinstall coolbok to see how it behaves with a cooler laptop

Peevy

Post by Peevy » Sat Sep 25, 2010 10:26 am

crumhorn wrote:@Dennis. Has there been any change with the compatibility status of certain VST plugins. I uninstalled my sample tank several Live versions ago because of constant crashing with horrible ear splitting noises that eventually destroyed my Spirit monitors.

According to this thread Live Audio Unit and VST Status it is still broken.
IK Multimedia synths and effects random crashes.
Format: AU & VST
Platform: PC & MAC
Status: We are not able to verify the problem. Please contact us, if you can reproduce this problem reliably and also contact the IK Multimedia support. Thanks.
Have Ableton made any progress with IK Multimedia on these problems? Dare I risk several hours spent installing Sample Tank only to be rewarded with more broken monitors? Or is it time to give up and dump my copy of sampletank on ebay.
I'm afraid not. I recently reported a problem with Amplitube 3 crashing in arrange view & Ableton just emailed back with a link to the quote above about not being able to verify the problem. So it looks like the crashing problems with IK Multimedia plugins isn't on their to do list. As a guitarist Amplitube is an absolute essential plugin for me & there's no way I'm willing to fork out €99 for Amp. I'm sure Amp is pretty decent but when your used to using something like Amplitube 3 you just don't wanna downgrade to an AmpSim that perhaps should have been a free upgrade to normal L8 users ;)

I am pleased with the rate at which the bug fix updates are being released & I'm still thoroughly enjoying using Live (apart from the IKMM issues) it is a truly inspirational DAW.

I also have Sampletank but haven't really used it that much in Live, I'm a bit apprehensive to now.

Come on Ableton is there anyway you can take a more serious look at these problems with IK Multimedia plugins & come up with a solution?
Image Image Image Image

pwal

Post by pwal » Sat Sep 25, 2010 11:07 am

pwal wrote:anyone else seeing performance issues in 8.2? i have a set in 8.1.5 that runs fine, but in 8.2 the cpu is jumping up to 90/100% with audio breakup, etc... the set is a mix of audio & midi, on win xp32, asio drivers, some vst plugs... :cry:
meh, buffer settings got reset :roll: phew

3phase

Post by 3phase » Sat Sep 25, 2010 11:17 am

i just had the dropout with 8.15 aswell..so that is not L8.2 related... will do the laptop service first before doing mire testing.. or shall i call it doing music?

slirak

Post by slirak » Sat Sep 25, 2010 2:27 pm

Peevy wrote:I recently reported a problem with Amplitube 3 crashing in arrange view & Ableton just emailed back with a link to the quote above about not being able to verify the problem. So it looks like the crashing problems with IK Multimedia plugins isn't on their to do list.
---snip---
Come on Ableton is there anyway you can take a more serious look at these problems with IK Multimedia plugins & come up with a solution?
An official comment on this would be very welcome indeed!

Digital_Damage

Post by Digital_Damage » Sat Sep 25, 2010 2:43 pm

gerard wrote: It's not "just" noise...
Abledick-sucker. you're the bitch...
I guess you could be right; noise is a poor use of words. More like whimpering.

Noise would be that out of sync, incoherent suck fest you subject heavy metal fans to.

Just a hint, next time you and your circle jerk buddies get together; Instead of taking up a collection for the lube so you don’t get friction burns fucking each other in the ass go buy a metronome instead. Luxembourg can thank me later.

[nis]

Post by [nis] » Sat Sep 25, 2010 3:09 pm

slirak wrote:
Peevy wrote:I recently reported a problem with Amplitube 3 crashing in arrange view & Ableton just emailed back with a link to the quote above about not being able to verify the problem. So it looks like the crashing problems with IK Multimedia plugins isn't on their to do list.
---snip---
The plugin sticky is not 100% up to date in regards to the IK Multimedia problems (we'll update this asap). We have been able to find the actual cause of these random crashes and have been in contact with IK Multimedia about this. The last thing I've heard from them is that they have acknowledged the bug and are already working on a fix. I don't know how long it takes until there's a bugfix update available, though. I'd suggest to get in touch with IKM's support directly.

Best,
Nico
Nico Starke
Ableton Product Team

crumhorn

Post by crumhorn » Sat Sep 25, 2010 3:23 pm

[nis] wrote:
slirak wrote:
---snip---
The plugin sticky is not 100% up to date in regards to the IK Multimedia problems (we'll update this asap). We have been able to find the actual cause of these random crashes and have been in contact with IK Multimedia about this. The last thing I've heard from them is that they have acknowledged the bug and are already working on a fix. I don't know how long it takes until there's a bugfix update available, though. I'd suggest to get in touch with IKM's support directly.

Best,
Nico
Nice one, thanks very much!
"The banjo is the perfect instrument for the antisocial."

(Allow me to plug my guitar scale visualiser thingy - www.fretlearner.com)