Ableton Live 8.2

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Todd OMG

Re: Ableton Live 8.2

Post by Todd OMG » Fri Sep 24, 2010 6:33 am

Hey Ableton dudes, I just wanted to give a huge, big, THANK YOU for all the hard work and insane amount of hours you put into making this wonderful program. Without it, I wouldn't be able to write music, period!

AMP is instantly my new favorite plugin. I've tried everything, but I'm very picky. The second I threw amp on a lead synth I was working with I was blown away. This is the kind of distortion I have drooling dreams about, but never could get close to. I have never in my life heard a plugin so delicious sounding.

And it was free. For me at least. Unbelievable. I would have paid for it.

Thank you.

esky

Post by esky » Fri Sep 24, 2010 6:37 am

Taylor Barclay wrote:- My 2 cents,
- Best
And here are mine: Had 8.2 up and running for 8 hours without any problems. Took Amp to add some crizzle sizzle to a granular texture from my new beloved Granite synth and it sounded great. But maybe that's not what it was made for...

Leon Tricker

Post by Leon Tricker » Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:20 am

Akshara wrote:
David Abravanel wrote:In the interest of trying to re-establish this thread as a Live 8.2 discussion thread...
Please consider just changing the thread topic to "Sync Problems in 8.2" and beginning a fresh new thread for Live 8.2 discussion. Thank you.
This thread should be renamed 'Sync Problems' and moved to the 'Support Corner' forum.

wascal

Post by wascal » Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:55 am

3phase wrote:
so maybe serato brideg really can bring something for the syncing via external timecode.. something that has problems in session view..
which is probably the view serato bridge is supposed to work with..

So how good is that working in L8.2 are ther demo videos out yet?
Mate, get a timecode CD > sample it into ableton and loop it > run it from an external out into Bridge your other ableton pc > stfu
TTKK / NOODLES / iANDALE! / TIGERBEAT6 / HOT & HEAVY etc
http://www.soundcloud.com/wascal

3phase

Post by 3phase » Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:28 am

wascal wrote:
3phase wrote:
so maybe serato brideg really can bring something for the syncing via external timecode.. something that has problems in session view..

Mate, get a timecode CD > sample it into ableton and loop it > run it from an external out into Bridge your other ableton pc > stfu
interesting question how god and fast this would log..

but i what you mean send it into bridge? You need the special serato interface? Or is this a software you directly can adress with any soundcard?

No :oops: of cause you need the serato/rane soft/hardware to have a "bridge"..
mac book 2,16 ghz 4(3)gb ram, Os 10.62, fireface 400,

wascal

Post by wascal » Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:38 am

3phase wrote:
wascal wrote:
3phase wrote:

interesting question how god and fast this would log..

but i what you mean send it into bridge? You need the special serato interface? Or is this a software you directly can adress with any soundcard?

No :oops: of cause you need the serato/rane soft/hardware to have a "bridge"..
Good point, forgot about the overpriced serato dongle. Interested to hear if this works though..
TTKK / NOODLES / iANDALE! / TIGERBEAT6 / HOT & HEAVY etc
http://www.soundcloud.com/wascal

3phase

Post by 3phase » Fri Sep 24, 2010 11:07 am

wascal wrote:
Good point, forgot about the overpriced serato dongle. Interested to hear if this works though..
would be great if audiofiles could do the job..but the TC in of the serato dongle probably has problems with line inputs..

otherwise you could have timecode out from one ableton life instance to the other..

however.. again a quite wild workaround for a standard function..

However.. this Bridge thing really could have the potential to help with some of the syncing problems.. i am not so negativ about it anymore.. really would like to know how good it works now..
problem i only know traktor dj´s :-/ So no way to just knock the neighbors door and give it a testrun..

Sage

Post by Sage » Fri Sep 24, 2010 11:44 am

Well a guitar amp sim is something I've wanted in Live for a long time. Software like Guitar Rig is far too in depth and pricey for what I'm after.

3phase

Post by 3phase » Fri Sep 24, 2010 12:12 pm

we know by now that amp seems to be a nice addition.. maybe not the best on the market but reasonable good..

thats the impression one gets in the reviews..

but i havent found a word yet how good the bridge is working...
ther are not many ableton people that own serato?

anybody here?

i ve a question.. what is it doing .. when you start the record at the beginning on the track..sync it to a record..

lift the needle on your ableton control record and put it back after 2 bars.. try to be most precisly on the one again..

Is it behaving properly there or is it going totally off the beat than?

behaving propperly is of cause difficult to say.. when you dont put the needle in the wright track..

but i wonder if it behaves just like a record or if the clip gets eratic somhow.. probably have to touch it myself on occasion to find out...
Last edited by 3phase on Fri Sep 24, 2010 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ableton_David

Post by Ableton_David » Fri Sep 24, 2010 12:17 pm

If anyone is looking for more active discussion about the Bridge, you might also try checking out the Serato forum: http://serato.com/forum/area/302. This should be especially helpful for any Ableton Live users who are unfamiliar with Serato Scratch Live.

Pasha

Post by Pasha » Fri Sep 24, 2010 12:39 pm

Sage wrote:Well a guitar amp sim is something I've wanted in Live for a long time. Software like Guitar Rig is far too in depth and pricey for what I'm after.
100% agree.
I have tested Guitar Rig and Amp + Cabinet side by side and I have to say that apart more controls and variety the results in terms of quality (according to my human and tech equipment) I see no difference. If I have to be 100% honest I was surprised to account AMP/CAB with a more 'lively' sensation in the sound (sorry for the pun).

- Best
- Pasha
Mac Studio M1
Live 12 Suite,Zebra ,Valhalla Plugins, MIDI Guitar (2+3),Guitar, Bass, VG99, GP10, JV1010 and some controllers

Ableton_David

Post by Ableton_David » Fri Sep 24, 2010 12:43 pm

Yes - to build upon the puns, we think Amp stacks up pretty well :)

crumhorn

Post by crumhorn » Fri Sep 24, 2010 1:02 pm

As a suite owner the amp sim was a nice surprise, so not complaining, but I would have liked to see a more Abletonesque approach, with more control over the internal structure.

My favourite amp sim of all time was Green Machine that CM gave away a version of (but I accidentally lost my license code several PC upgrades ago). You could basically design your own amp with variable number of stages, biasing arrangements, tone circuits, and gain structures, with inter-stage metering and monitoring points, etc.
"The banjo is the perfect instrument for the antisocial."

(Allow me to plug my guitar scale visualiser thingy - www.fretlearner.com)

Ajbbklyn

Post by Ajbbklyn » Fri Sep 24, 2010 1:37 pm

Pasha wrote:However maybe because I use three single coils in my Fender Strat + (20 years old)
a noise gate has become necessary for high gain configuration...
I know (this also happens with hardware FX) that having a Fender means walking in the room until
you find the hum & noise cancellation spot to record clean. Anybody tested with humbuckers?
- Pasha
I have a 2004 MIM Strat. The stock pickups and lack of shielding in the pickup and control cavities meant dealing with a lot of hum and noise. I swapped the pickups for a set of Lollar Vintage Blackface. I also rewired and shielded the innards using the information from the Guitar Nuts web site (links below). My $300 MIM Strat now sounds like a vintage pre-CBS classic. Can't wait to check out AMP.

Check it out:
GuitarNuts.com - Shielding a Strat(TM)

Lollar Guitar Pickups
Andy Baum
(nicht der österreichische Musiker)
http://andy-baum.com

anybody human

Post by anybody human » Fri Sep 24, 2010 2:34 pm

Pitch Black wrote:Have you guys tried using a common MIDI clock-master, and both instances of Live working as slaves? Such as a hardware drum mach, groovebox, master-keyboard clock, etc

That always worked well enough for me. Hows it been in your experience?
This is my question also. Shouldn't an external clock do the trick?
Sorry if this has been answered, I'll go back and read the intervening 10 pages now :)