Ableton Live 8.2

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Tarekith

Re: Ableton Live 8.2

Post by Tarekith » Tue Sep 28, 2010 2:19 pm

Been using it a lot doing mixdowns for clients the last couple days, very solid here too.

Ableton_David

Post by Ableton_David » Tue Sep 28, 2010 2:26 pm

Hi Pasha, you might also try using Multiband Dynamics as an expander. This can help to put a stronger gate on whichever band you're getting the most hum from. Glad you're enjoying Live 8.2!

Pasha

Post by Pasha » Tue Sep 28, 2010 3:03 pm

David Abravanel wrote:Hi Pasha, you might also try using Multiband Dynamics as an expander. This can help to put a stronger gate on whichever band you're getting the most hum from. Glad you're enjoying Live 8.2!
David, thanks for this I'll try that.
Mac Studio M1
Live 12 Suite,Zebra ,Valhalla Plugins, MIDI Guitar (2+3),Guitar, Bass, VG99, GP10, JV1010 and some controllers

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:02 pm

do_om wrote:
3phase wrote:you guys need skype.. not sync
Anyway you slice it, that was top class!

:lol: that was pretty good right there ^
LoopStationZebra wrote:it's like a hipster commie pinko manifesto. Rambling. Angry. Nearly divorced from all reality; yet strangely compelling with a ring of truth.

PATS

Post by PATS » Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:52 pm

Just wanted to drop a big THANK YOU ABLETON! for expanding Suite with Amp.

davepermen

Post by davepermen » Thu Sep 30, 2010 1:10 pm

3phase wrote:

thanks.. but this guy is talking bullshit..when he is not able to hear the wobbeling he should do measurements.

maybe i should mail some own text regarding perfect midisync to ableton..
if no one can hear the wobble, then it would sure be good enough till the perfect midi sync is out.. (and one could argue there is no perfect sync, it will be some nano secs off wobbling always, the trick is to get the maximum wobbling small enough that one can't ever hear it by any chance).
http://davepermen.net my tiny webpage, including link to bandcamp.

3phase

Post by 3phase » Thu Sep 30, 2010 1:32 pm

davepermen wrote:
3phase wrote:

thanks.. but this guy is talking bullshit..when he is not able to hear the wobbeling he should do measurements.

maybe i should mail some own text regarding perfect midisync to ableton..
if no one can hear the wobble, then it would sure be good enough till the perfect midi sync is out.. (and one could argue there is no perfect sync, it will be some nano secs off wobbling always, the trick is to get the maximum wobbling small enough that one can't ever hear it by any chance).
come on depperman every able producer is able to hear to hear the wobbeling..if he accepts that for his/her style is a question of taste..

What is not a quetion of taste is that the wobbeling sitches lattency compensation off and samplerate conversion on..

so regardless wether onle lives with the wobbeling groove or not.. the soundquality is suffering..

and therfore the quality of abletons syncbehavior is not good enough.. so very easy.. This program is not intended to allow multiple muscans play with theire live laptops together and be recorded in max quality.

Ableton themself stated that process of people doing music together should be supported by music technology by all means necessary..

better sync is necessary.
mac book 2,16 ghz 4(3)gb ram, Os 10.62, fireface 400,

davepermen

Post by davepermen » Thu Sep 30, 2010 1:33 pm

i said "if no one can hear a difference". at that point, it actually IS good enough.

i can't check the link right now. i will, later.

and that's not my name, get that one right.
http://davepermen.net my tiny webpage, including link to bandcamp.

broc

Post by broc » Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:59 am

3phase wrote:
broc wrote:In short: forget about midi clock, syncing 2 instances of Live to a common MTC master works perfectly for me.
you work with pre arranged tracks? have big problems in session view whan just stop and restart the master to get the external drums a midi start command.. without retriggering every clip i ve chaos than...

however good enough in the studio
Slaving to MTC works fine for me in session view.
But I understand that stop/restart during the session will cause problems since MTC needs 1-2 bars to lock in place.

3phase

Post by 3phase » Fri Oct 01, 2010 2:43 pm

broc wrote:
3phase wrote:
broc wrote:In short: forget about midi clock, syncing 2 instances of Live to a common MTC master works perfectly for me.
you work with pre arranged tracks? have big problems in session view whan just stop and restart the master to get the external drums a midi start command.. without retriggering every clip i ve chaos than...

however good enough in the studio
Slaving to MTC works fine for me in session view.
But I understand that stop/restart during the session will cause problems since MTC needs 1-2 bars to lock in place.

Theese locktimes are the problem on stage.. and my main intend for better sync is too jam on stage..and in the studio without compromizing the quality of the outcome.

Clock is by many reasons a pretty good sync format for that.. like tooth wheels each clock marks an absolute position in time of a musical piece..regardless of the time domain.

its defently possible to achive propper clock syncing when you run the computers in worlclock sync on a stable tempo... so at least under this condition production quality should be kept.
The same way ableton live is keeping bit transparency under the condition that the song speed stays in sync with the individual clip speeds..than warping is / or should be switched off !

how to deal with tempo changes is the additional complex that makes things complikated here..

But as long there is no super clever master algorythm, that takes care of that, i would say that we would be much better of with 2 user options..
one for stable tempos at production quality and conditions and one as now but performing better. much better..

in any case a stable tempo should be read by abletons sync algorythm as a stable tempo.
and not as one that is changing 2 times in one bar...
There is no real good reason why live dont gets that a stable 125 bpm are ment as stable 125 bpm...

i very much prefer a glitchy operation on a fast tempo change than glitchy operation all over.
correction of drifts should be dealt with in bigger intervalls every 8 bar or later.
but to allow this the tempo interpretation needs to be spot on...

when you see that a stable clock is delivred from apples core midi system and inside the program live this is interpretateted as tempo +/- 1,5 bpm its easy to spot that something is going wrong internaly.. whatever gets in the way of the speed recognition could be probably outrun by placing the speed recognition closer to the the stable core midi clock at a place before anything inside the program can screw up the reading.. With this correct tempo reading later timing problems inside the program can be solved much better.. because any clock marks an absolute time position.. based on a solid tempo reading any later internal scrambling can be resolved.

its probably rather a problem of the programs internal task hirachy that screws up the syncing here, than a god given circumstance that cant be solved or at least optimized.
mac book 2,16 ghz 4(3)gb ram, Os 10.62, fireface 400,