Amp reivews

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
gurumonkey

Re: Amp reivews

Post by gurumonkey » Fri Sep 24, 2010 3:32 am

So, first thing i did was load up a rack and started playing each amp with the presets. they pretty much all sound bad. ha. i did notice that i didn't have a cab hooked up, but i didn't bother trying yet. instead, i went to the audio effects rack folder, chose guitar amp, and starting messing with those presets. some useable stuff for sure. I feel like whoever created these amp presets made each one with a different guitar input volume in mind. it's a little frustrating to push through the presets because on one sim it'll sound good, and on the next the gate will cut me off too early.

i'm only in the "g"'s right now, but the best i've found so far is Guitar-Edge High Tap delay, but turn the "chorus off" knob to about 41 (curious name for a knob that might be turned on)

that sounds very useable to me, especially as i mess with different pick ups.

some of the high gainy racks sound good to me too. anybody else have a favorite preset?

gurumonkey

Post by gurumonkey » Fri Sep 24, 2010 3:34 am

holy crap! haha. i opened up that rack to see exactly what it takes to get a sound that i think sounds good. ha. try it.

Cone

Post by Cone » Fri Sep 24, 2010 4:10 am

gurumonkey wrote:some of the high gainy racks sound good to me too. anybody else have a favorite preset?
Since you asked... I like "Guitar-Guitar Pad" audio effect rack -- instant Robin Guthrie / Cocteau Twins!
MacBook (Late 2006), iMac 21.5" (Late 2009), Mac OS X 10.6.4 // Ableton Suite 8.2 // KORG microKONTROL & padKONTROL // Saffire PRO 24 DSP // ESI nEAR 05 monitors // Audio-Technica ATH-M40fs cans.

davepermen

Post by davepermen » Fri Sep 24, 2010 6:13 am

friend_kami wrote:i do realise you can stack an amp, then another amp after that one and get the same result, but do you really want to load several instances to achieve a decent sound?
i dont.
well, how would it be different? live provides a way to stack effects, guitar rig provides a way to stack effects. it looks different but it's 100% the same. even guitar rig loads several instances to archive the result. not of guitar rig, as that is the actual stack (which would be an effect rack in your case), but the actual amps in there get loaded more than once, too..

all in all, it's just visually different.
http://davepermen.net my tiny webpage, including link to bandcamp.

crumhorn

Post by crumhorn » Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:09 am

First impressions of amp/cab are very good.

But the library is a bit weird

The patch names give very little clue as to what to expect in terms of sound. Sensible names that make some effort to categorize the sounds would make it a lot easier to use.

When the device has so few controls with obvious purposes it actually seems a lot less work to just set it up for yourself when faced with such a huge list of patches. A few well constructed start point patches would be better.

Also some of the rack patches have got so much stuff in them that the amp seems like a very small part of the overall sound.

But set up a basic amp and cab combo with a bit of ambient reverb and it sounds the biz.
"The banjo is the perfect instrument for the antisocial."

(Allow me to plug my guitar scale visualiser thingy - www.fretlearner.com)

friend_kami

Post by friend_kami » Fri Sep 24, 2010 11:33 am

davepermen wrote:
friend_kami wrote:i do realise you can stack an amp, then another amp after that one and get the same result, but do you really want to load several instances to achieve a decent sound?
i dont.
well, how would it be different? live provides a way to stack effects, guitar rig provides a way to stack effects. it looks different but it's 100% the same. even guitar rig loads several instances to archive the result. not of guitar rig, as that is the actual stack (which would be an effect rack in your case), but the actual amps in there get loaded more than once, too..

all in all, it's just visually different.
i was under the impression that guitar rig is just a wrapper and each of the amps and effects and whatnots are essentially guitar rig "plugins".
if this is the case then its completely different. correct me if im wrong though.

now, i will most certainly use Amp for me postrock electronica thingy band, but mainly because those guitar sounds we are after arent usual guitarsounds at all, and a more electronic digital sound.

for actual guitar use i would never use amp, because quite frankly it sounds horrible.
it sounds great as a digital dirtifyer, i guess, but as an amp simulator? come on.
i wonder what amps they have that they are modeling, must be some really shitty digital ones.

auto-lock

Post by auto-lock » Fri Sep 24, 2010 11:41 am

I love it!!! :D I don't see why come people are complaining about its sound.

In fact the only thing I don't like about it is the graphics, i don't feel they are very necessary and without them you could save space.

crumhorn

Post by crumhorn » Fri Sep 24, 2010 11:48 am

auto-lock wrote:I love it!!! :D I don't see why come people are complaining about its sound.

In fact the only thing I don't like about it is the graphics, i don't feel they are very necessary and without them you could save space.
this
"The banjo is the perfect instrument for the antisocial."

(Allow me to plug my guitar scale visualiser thingy - www.fretlearner.com)

twisted-space

Post by twisted-space » Fri Sep 24, 2010 12:50 pm

I like it, been getting some lovely Frippesque sounds using tension>dynamic tube>chorus>amp>eq8>cab> lots of delays.

Also put my bass through it and found I can get some nice and varied sounds pretty easily.

Very cool for suite owners (I am), but I doubt I'd pay for it as a seperate at the price they're asking. That's true for all the add ons though IMO.

Sage

Post by Sage » Fri Sep 24, 2010 2:38 pm

Nothing to complain about on guitar, need to spend more time with it, see how it's gets on.

Tried Amp on it's own on a synth and the default settings alone almost caused me to jizz myself.

davepermen

Post by davepermen » Fri Sep 24, 2010 4:31 pm

friend_kami wrote:i was under the impression that guitar rig is just a wrapper and each of the amps and effects and whatnots are essentially guitar rig "plugins".
if this is the case then its completely different. correct me if im wrong though.
what is completely different? yeah, guitar rig is the wrapper in which you stack the plugins. just as in live, audio effect rack will be that wrapper (rename it to guitar rig if you want), in which you can stack your amps and other audio effects (call them plugins :)).

so besides the visual difference, and the obvious fact that the effects themselves are different, there is no logical difference between an effect rack filled with amps (and saturators and reverbs and such) and a guitar rig filled with those.
http://davepermen.net my tiny webpage, including link to bandcamp.

timeline85

Post by timeline85 » Fri Sep 24, 2010 6:04 pm

Anyone with a Hi-Z input on their interface want to chime in on the difference in sound quality between using it vs a standard 1/4" preamp input?

alex.the.forge

Post by alex.the.forge » Sat Sep 25, 2010 1:57 am

you people that say it sounds horrible are using it with the Cabinet plug-in right? Just asking because a lot of people only mention Amp itself when saying how bad it sounds

I'm just surprised because it didn't sound bad at all to me. Maybe I need to do a day time full volume test and actually plug my guitar in rather than just loading it on a track with it already recorded….

I really can't see Ableton choosing a bad emulation though and softube have won a lot of awards for their own products….

gurumonkey

Post by gurumonkey » Sat Sep 25, 2010 3:41 am

Alex, i'll say that indeed my reviews of it sounding bad were when i just had an amp effect. with the cab i found it didn't take too much work to get something usable. I need more time with it. but i can definately say i was able to get a sound i was after without too much work with just an amp and a cab.

woot.

shimmy

Post by shimmy » Sat Sep 25, 2010 3:54 am

I found a vid on Youtube on AMP.
BEST part is at 9:19, HA!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j81weJlf2IA

(I guess the guy in the video likes AMP. I really can't tell due to a language barrier for me).