All times are UTC

Post subject: ableton live + hardware synths + vst = how to mixdown?
PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 6:15 am 

hi

i have alesis micron , roland sh 201 , kawai k1 rack , yamaha tg500 rack and emu tracker pre interface. Also i have analog mixer and laptop running ableton live on which i do all drum lines and samples. all hardware is running via midi using yamaha ux256 interface.
the question is :

how to mixdown my project? do i need to by an additional digital portastudio, where outputs from my mixer will go?

p.s all hardware and emu tracker pre (pc) are connected to a mixer , and speakers are going from mixers output.

Post subject: Re: ableton live + hardware synths + vst = how to mixdown?
PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:36 am 

If your project works completely from start to end, you would record the output of the mixer with the EMU - therefore, set up an additional stereo out from your mixer and connect that to the inserts of the EMU.
In Live, set up a new audio track and record your mixers outputs in realtime..

you could freeze (and maybe flatten) the VSTs first, to create audio files for those

another option is to record the hardware synths one by one on individual audio tracks recording the output of those either by directly connecting them to the EMU or also by recording the output of your mixer

- hope, that helps

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 11:21 am 

That is a difficult question.. in ideal you would mix down on a good analog console with nice fx racks and you would benefit soundwise quite a lot..

second version is you only use the desk as analog summing device.. and have all fx in the daw ...

depends on the quality of the desk wether that is benefical or not..
so what kind of desk do you have?

Or

you might build stems on your main tracks.. have the original track.. and a rerecorded version via your desk and EQ settings and than do a final in the box mix down with the original tracks and the rerecorded ones ..and decide during the mix if the rerecorded ones are more beneficial... the tracks on the desk should be propperly mixed before rerecording them single to have the eq settings corrosponding with each other

when your desk is something like a studer 169 that rerecording would beef up your in the box mix quite well..
but with this quality desk the analog summing aproach is good aswell...

In general it is good to have a in the box mix as refference.. your goal is to make it better sounding via the analog way
But you have additional conversions..

when you have a good analog fx device its usually most beneficial to be used..

a simple spx 90 usually creates more charakter than the best plugs on the market..

Its defently a matter of experimentation in case you are not in the luxury position to have a full featured analog studio.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 11:27 am 

netwarrior wrote:
hi

i have alesis micron , roland sh 201 , kawai k1 rack , yamaha tg500 rack and emu tracker pre interface. Also i have analog mixer and laptop running ableton live on which i do all drum lines and samples. all hardware is running via midi using yamaha ux256 interface.
the question is :

how to mixdown my project? do i need to by an additional digital portastudio, where outputs from my mixer will go?

p.s all hardware and emu tracker pre (pc) are connected to a mixer , and speakers are going from mixers output.

and just beside quality options.. when you can record all the synths singel, you should have theire lines as audiofiles in the daw..

the daw is like a multitrack recorder.. but.. you just might take theese tracks as refference for your later live... mute them..

and do the final mix down with the desk in a life run off way.. many people work this way.. but..your mix has to be perfect..you only can edit mix versions together but that it is ..when you do life runoffs the mix has to be wright..

so having all involved sythns recoderd on seperate tracks allways allows you to do a new mixdowns years later...

You never can be sure that your synths will be around than too.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 12:18 pm 

Record all the synths to separate audio tracks -> set levels, EQs and all that -> do some automation = win.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 12:36 pm 

rosti wrote:
Record all the synths to separate audio tracks -> set levels, EQs and all that -> do some automation = win.

sure.. but when the desk is beneficial.. use it.. especially when the sound you hear thru the desk is the one you want to have..

depends really on the quality of the desk and its eq´s when its just a mackie or behringer you are probably better of to record directly and do it all in the box...

but.. i know quite a few people that found desks beneficial ..and when it is just as fx unit or to do realtime fade performances..

It dont needs to be an ssl desk or neve or studer to be beneficial..

once worked on a tascam m 520 that you get for 300 euros sometimes.. and this thing defently sounded gorgeous and heavy in the low end.. defenetly doing some mojo..

so a beneficial desk dont has to be expensiv.

Trust your ears and do some experiments.. In the end of the day you allways have the option to just mix in the box.

But you might have some more intersting sounding sourcetracks by using analog processing within your production..especially when you have hardware synths you like to record..

on synths the most shitty desk sometimes can be more interesting than a direct AD conversion..that might tend to sound a bit sterile in comparison to an allready slightly distorting cheapo desk..

I´ve an old ibanez rm80 in the studio,,its nice on the 303..its perfect for the 303.. a direct recorded 303 is not so much better than a plug in.. but with some heavy eq´ing and a little clipping on the RM80? nice..

you can get a RM 80 for 50 bucks theese days..

It defently worth the effort to experiment a bit around..

my opinion