remove unwanted high frequency noise

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
mickmike

remove unwanted high frequency noise

Post by mickmike » Fri Sep 24, 2010 3:06 pm

how can i remove some unwanted high frequency noise from an audio sample drum loop?. I have tried EQing, but this is destroying the feel of the loop. I just wanna get rid of the resonating high freq hiss.

crumhorn

Re: remove unwanted high frequency noise

Post by crumhorn » Fri Sep 24, 2010 3:13 pm

The multiband compressor might do what you want. hard to say without hearing the problem sound.
"The banjo is the perfect instrument for the antisocial."

(Allow me to plug my guitar scale visualiser thingy - www.fretlearner.com)

Ableton_David

Re: remove unwanted high frequency noise

Post by Ableton_David » Fri Sep 24, 2010 3:22 pm

Multiband Dynamics, EQ Eight, and Spectrum are your friends here.

First, try playing the sound with EQ Eight and Spectrum on the track. Select the bell curve response, set the gain high, and set a high Q value to narrow the range. While the drum loop is playing, sweep up through the frequency values until you hear the offending sound being significantly boosted. At this point, look at where it appears on Spectrum. This will tell you specifically which frequencies you're looking to compress.

You could do a couple things next. You might try using the notch response curve in EQ Eight to get rid of the sound. You can also insert Multiband Dynamics, set the high frequency cutoff so that the high band captures the frequency you want (or, if you want to be really precise, you can set the high and low frequency cutoffs so that the mid frequency covers the range that you need), and apply downward compression. You'll want to play around with threshold and ratio values to see what sounds the best. You can also try combining the EQ and Compression solutions, of course. The best thing to do once you've isolated the frequencies is to mess around until you get the sound that you want.