"The Ill Methodology"

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
BlackMath

Re: "The Ill Methodology"

Post by BlackMath » Sun Oct 17, 2010 8:11 pm

the advantage is you can automate the chain selector and get tons of variation from one midi pattern

deepdirtydub

Post by deepdirtydub » Sun Oct 17, 2010 8:14 pm

ill.Gates isnt just dragging 128 samples into a drum rack he's dragging them into a single sampler cell within a drum rack and then using 1 knob to scroll thru the samples. Its more of a workflow thing rather than an automation thing.

Magik

Post by Magik » Sun Oct 17, 2010 8:36 pm

Ill Gates talks about Sample 128's in this video

http://vimeo.com/10599396

nylarch

Post by nylarch » Sun Oct 17, 2010 8:54 pm

If you have your drum sounds organized into folders I feel like "hot swap" mode accomplishes the same thing and is arguably less fiddly. Just hot swap a drum pad with kick on it into your kick folder, arrow up and down through the kicks and hit enter to audition as you go. All in realtime while the drum part is playing.
MacBook Pro; Live 8 Suite, Reaktor; '77 Fender Jazz Bass; Apogee One;

wascal

Post by wascal » Sun Oct 17, 2010 9:08 pm

deepdirtydub wrote:ill.Gates isnt just dragging 128 samples into a drum rack he's dragging them into a single sampler cell within a drum rack and then using 1 knob to scroll thru the samples. Its more of a workflow thing rather than an automation thing.
Ah nice! May well give that a shot, would it be much of a cpu hog?
TTKK / NOODLES / iANDALE! / TIGERBEAT6 / HOT & HEAVY etc
http://www.soundcloud.com/wascal

BlackMath

Post by BlackMath » Mon Oct 18, 2010 1:08 am

deepdirtydub wrote:ill.Gates isnt just dragging 128 samples into a drum rack he's dragging them into a single sampler cell within a drum rack and then using 1 knob to scroll thru the samples. Its more of a workflow thing rather than an automation thing.
yeah thats what I meant by "tons of variation from one midi pattern" but thanks for the clarification
BlackMath wrote:the advantage is you can automate the chain selector and get tons of variation from one midi pattern

darkmelody

Post by darkmelody » Thu Oct 28, 2010 6:08 am

Going to a workshop of his in a couple of weeks. Can't wait.

cacti

Post by cacti » Thu Oct 28, 2010 7:36 am

Where can I get that Eskamon live pack? I couldnt find it on the site.

beattorrent

Post by beattorrent » Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:14 am

speaking of 128s, i have seen the ill methodology and the question is why do i need to put another pitch plug set to min: -128? (see step #7 below). In the studio template you will see the instructions on how to make the 128's which is below:

1. find 128 of something
2. load up sampler
3. drag 128 samples into the sample tab of sampler (drop samples here)
4. go into the zone editor, select all samples, and then distribute ranges equally (right click)
5. right click and group (cmd g)
6. put 2 MIDI pitch plugins before the sampler
7. pitch plug 1 = -128
8. macro pitch plug 2 min = o max = 128

i know that the step in #8 is for selecting the specific keys on the sampler, what i dont get is why should i still put another pitch plug and set it to -128, another question is should i save the racks in two different ways like distribute ranges equally (by key) and the other one by (sel)?

siliconarc

Post by siliconarc » Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:37 am

that's arguably not the best way to do it in Sampler.
try this...

- group the Sampler to an Instrument Rack
- drop your 128 samples into Sampler
- leave all samples as they are (they should be spanned across all keys with 'R' set to C3)
- switch from the 'Key' page to the 'Sel' page
- use Distribute Ranges
- right-click the 'Sel' page's Sample Select Ruler > Map to Macro

done

piZMo

Post by piZMo » Wed Dec 11, 2013 5:53 pm

garyboozy wrote:- group the Sampler to an Instrument Rack
- drop your 128 samples into Sampler
- leave all samples as they are (they should be spanned across all keys with 'R' set to C3)
- switch from the 'Key' page to the 'Sel' page
- use Distribute Ranges
- right-click the 'Sel' page's Sample Select Ruler > Map to Macro

done
This.

dr.mysterium

Post by dr.mysterium » Thu Dec 12, 2013 12:40 am

I believe if you use 'SEL' it will not show the waveform of the sample when you trigger it with midi. It'll say something like '128 samples selected'. But if you use 'KEY' tab and a pitch midi effect, when you change to a new kick sound (as an example) by turning the macro assigned to the pitch effect, it will send the note to trigger a different sample in the stack, and upon triggering the sample with midi controller or a playing pattern, it will bring the new waveform you have selected into view.

Here's a link to a Dr. M Technique for taking your 128's to the next level of control and complexity, including, kit snapping, switching thru stacks of 128's with the press of a button Live, and utilizing 1 Blue Hand to seamlessly control everything in the drum rack (including changing samples by setting the same macro on each racked sampler as the sample 'knob'.
Its great for Live P.A., production, or creative improv. It's posted on my blog as well as other
Tripped Out Ableton Techniques.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=200085

Ill Gates 128's changed the game
I am Dr. M. Solo artist, member of 86BiTz, host of the Perfect Glitch Show, & the Live Jam Video Stream. Music on Soundcloud and BandCamp. Jam Archive on Patreon•••• I master audio & produce video of all of the above as Tremendm Labs on YouTube.